When the Switch2 comes out, do you expect it to have full Switch1 compatibility?

ScaryHobbit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It will be funny coming back here to see all the posters posting, "Nintendo will NEVAAAR have backwards compat!" if Nintendo does include backwards compatibility.
Furukawa is making a huge point of emphasis on making the transition to next-gen as smooth as possible, and there are few better ways to do so than backwards compatibility.

How exactly it would be included, I don't know yet. But assuming the new console is a Switch 2 this is the ideal scenario I can see playing out:
  1. Standard BC for almost all Switch 1 cartridges and digital software. Runs at same resolution and performance as on Switch 1 hardware. They should be able to easily find a workaround to the SOC concerns floated by MVG et al, whether it's emulation or some kind of unique profile.
  2. "Enhanced" BC options - Converts Switch 1 games to take advantage of Switch 2 specs. Comes in the following flavors that developers can choose from:
    • Some kind of "Super Switch" patch that improves performance but keeps the assets the same. The BOTW demo could be a potential option for this.
    • DLC - If a studio wants to add assets to improve the graphics. Can come in the form of either a free patch, or as paid DLC.
    • Cross-gen releases - with different performance options depending on the console.
    • A totally new port. With all the downgrades needed to port from PS4 to Switch 1, developers might find it easier (and profitable) to just give the Switch 2 it's own fresh version instead of tacking onto the gimped Switch 1 versions.
This way would give all parties almost every option they could potentially choose from.
And to the second question, this would help extend the Switch 1's lifespan as well.

Last edited by ScaryHobbit,

Jacobh

Trophies
XP
Country
The Switch isn’t part of the GameBoy/DS/3DS line, but pretty much every portable Nintendo console has had at least 1 generation backwards compatibility. Some of their non-portable consoles (Wii, WiiU) did as well. They are probably sticking with a similar chipset from what we know.

I expect backwards compatibility with the Switch1 with some upscaling/AI enhancement capabilities. That would make it an easier sale to people who have a Switch and enable them to continue selling their existing library of software.

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
If we take into account:
  • Nintendo has partnered with ARM for the CPUs on their portable systems since the GBA
  • Switch is already an ARM64 device
  • Switch's graphic stack is fairly standard (no 3D or fancy stuff besides dynamic res governed by acpi)
Technically speaking the only thing blocking it would be the support of Switch's graphic stack in the Switch2's gpu, which, imo, could be wrapped. Testing required of course but its not rocket science (I suspect games could work even better).

So, for me at least, I believe the decission of having or not backwards compatibility to be strictly bussiness only.

The legal/financial team at Nintendo will have the saying. Perhaps just the legal hell of letting switch games work in a system they were not originally licensed to is enough deterrent to stop backwards compatibility alltogether.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll see what the new console will cook. Why are people always saying that it's going to be a switch 2???
What do you think they'll make? A new DS?

It's pretty much expected a successor to the Switch than a new DS or a Wii U.. lol

And yes, it'll likely have BC.
Post automatically merged:

From what we've seen yeah but we have no idea what it is outside of it being able to run a better BOTW.
Even via emulation BotW runs better than on the Switch/WiiU.

Last edited by Marc_LFD,

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something in the back of me believes that they're going back into the console market, but then again now since you say that, I guess I can finally see why people are asking for a Switch 2..
The Switch is a hybrid console, a 2 in 1, you could say the Wii U was the beta version of the Switch.

It just annoys me now that when inserting a game I've got to download patches/updates when before it was straight to the game.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, if I had a choice, I would make the Switch 2 compatible with Switch and 3ds/Ds. Even if that meant two slots and even better, if with one. Actually, it might be better with 2 slots anyway. Less of an excuse to use downloads for the rest of a game.

Anyway, I do think it will have BC. For upgrades, what they do with those, is probably going to come down to each developer on how they handle it. If we are just talking about resolution and frame rate, some games might just automatically scale.

As for supporting the Switch after Switch 2, they would probably support it for 1 to 2 years directly with cross gen titles, then let 3rd party decide if they want to continue to support the Switch.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The DS and DS Lite had GBA BC, but DSi and 3DS had that port removed.

Afterwards, we had the 3DS which featured DS BC and aren't the DS/3DS cards kind of identical, anyway?

nintendo-ds-original-(colorbox).jpg

I remember the DS looking so awesome and futuristic, now it just looks kinda meh. DS Lite and GBA SP were better looking handhelds.

Given all that, it's expected the Switch successor to be Switch BC.

Reactions: Mike_77712

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
It just annoys me now that when inserting a game I've got to download patches/updates when before it was straight to the game.

I guess that's cause physical discs are just the invisible keys of downloading the game digitally.
Post automatically merged:

The Switch is a hybrid console, a 2 in 1

That's true! I guess I'll start following with the Switch 2 saying... It still feels so weird to me.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if it does, good. i think it will since it's most likely running on the same architecture.

If it doesn't too bad, no one will care. 90% of you will still buy it cuz y'all got no restraint.

Futurdreamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, if I had a choice, I would make the Switch 2 compatible with Switch and 3ds/Ds. Even if that meant two slots and even better, if with one. Actually, it might be better with 2 slots anyway. Less of an excuse to use downloads for the rest of a game.

Anyway, I do think it will have BC. For upgrades, what they do with those, is probably going to come down to each developer on how they handle it. If we are just talking about resolution and frame rate, some games might just automatically scale.

As for supporting the Switch after Switch 2, they would probably support it for 1 to 2 years directly with cross gen titles, then let 3rd party decide if they want to continue to support the Switch.
So would you want a Switch2 that has a folding screen?
That sounds plausible, but the tech is still too expensive for Nintendo to use.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It'll probably have 99.9% backwards compatibility. It won't be backwards compatible for Labo. Depending on controller/screen, it might not be backwards compat with Mario Party.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I expect full compatibility all the way back to NES. You'll be able to put discs and cartridges in it, and they'll make new games for the Power Pad.

I've never been that wowed by backward compatibility. Just seems like something that hobbles the full potential of what the new console could be. Never used to be the norm, nobody expected it. In the GC to Wii, PS2 and PS3 years I guess is when it became this obsession for people. I really couldn't care less if the next console plays Switch games ... I'd rather get a better console that looks forward (I know, fat chance with Nintendo anymore) than one that looks back.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Considering the long story of Nintendo on backward compatibility of some of their consoles and taking into account the huge success the Switch is, it must be a feature when the Switch successor is released.

No DRM, and no extra charge, just enjoy the games you already have bought (physical and digital), should be the goal for a more fluid and warm welcome for Switch's successor.

Quote me on this one.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So would you want a Switch2 that has a folding screen?
That sounds plausible, but the tech is still too expensive for Nintendo to use.
An actually simple dual screen would be great, but I would play 3/DS games, even if you had to turn the Switch vertically.

The guy is joking, but this the first video I seen that shown this off.

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A lot of you seem to not be real familiar with their history regarding console back-compatibility & comments like "its a given" and "switch has a giant library, no way they wouldn't" are giving N too much credit. All of their consoles have had large libraries and only one had back compatibility. You couldn't play NES carts on the SNES, you couldn't play SNES carts on the N64, couldn't play N64 carts on the GameCube, later model Wiis couldn't play GameCube discs, and you couldn't play Wii U games on the Switch without re-purchasing the re-releases. Point being, they have a terrible record for bc and there's no "given" at all, that the next console will play Switch games either physical or digital.

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
A lot of you seem to not be real familiar with their history regarding console back-compatibility & comments like "its a given" and "switch has a giant library, no way they wouldn't" are giving N too much credit. All of their consoles have had large libraries and only one had back compatibility. You couldn't play NES carts on the SNES, you couldn't play SNES carts on the N64, couldn't play N64 carts on the GameCube, later model Wiis couldn't play GameCube discs, and you couldn't play Wii U games on the Switch without re-purchasing the re-releases. Point being, they have a terrible record for bc and there's no "given" at all, that the next console will play Switch games either physical or digital.

Until the Switch I'd argue Nintendo had got pretty good at backwards compatibility over the last two decades, even more so when their consoles were hacked.

• GBA is backwards compatible with all GB / GBC games.
  • DS / DS Lite are backwards compatible with all GBA games
  • 3DS is backwards compatible with all DS games and has hardware to natively play GBA games via homebrew (without emulation)
  • Wii is backwards compatible with the GameCube unless you buy the models released towards the end of the Wii's life
  • Wii U is backwards compatible with the Wii and can play GameCube games without emulation via homebrew.
Certainly in the 3DS era I did quite like some of the VC re releases Nintendo did also, the Gen 1 and 2 Pokemon games got fixed up pretty well, WiFi trading and even IR support for the Gen 2 games. With the ability to bring all Pokemon caught over to the current Gen 7 games on the 3DS.

The Switch merged the home console and handheld consoles lines with zero backwards compatibility. Sure we have Switch online which can emulate some past consoles, however I personally find this a poor effort and don't want to subscribe to play old games. I'd sooner buy the few I wish to play out right and own a digital copy packed up nicely for that console.

This is where I do think Nintendo dropped the ball and could have released past VC titles on the Switch, allowing past purchases to be brought to the Switch. I can play digital games I purchased on my 360 in 2005 today in 2023 on the Xbox Series consoles via emulation. With that in mind Nintendo could have done a lot better. Backwards compatibility was very low effort, the same as their current online functionality.

The Switch 2 really needs to be backwards compatible as Nintendo have no reason to start again, I don't think backwards compatibility will be a sure thing this time however.

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

squeakycleanswine

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would be incredibly surprised if it didn't considering nintendo are basically the kings of backwards compatibility (that is until the switch came around, so actually who knows what could happen).

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
If the Switch 2 will have any form of BC, knowing Nintendo it will be only with digital games (not physical), because they love to sell you their games at full price.. By some miracle, if the cartridge port in the Switch 2 is the same (or uses the same technology?) as the one in the Switch, they could still charge you to use that feature *somehow* with some BS lock/ drm feature, specially for the ones when you have to DL the game data from their servers.. Of course i could be totally wrong here, just my 2 cents.
Could make a separate peripheral specifically to read switch carts, like the digital PS5 and its optional separate purchase of a disc drive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch