What's your stance on piracy (please vote, do not argue)

What is your stance on piracy?

• Zero Piracy, legally owning all games and playing as intented

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Legally owning all games, but backups and mods are reasonable

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • only if the game is not available for purchase

Votes: 8 8.5%
  • only if the game is unaffordable

Votes: 10 10.6%
  • pretty much accepted

Votes: 47 50.0%
  • I'm one if those people who uses cheats in online games against unsuspecting strangers

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • only as a "try before you buy" solution to ensure the game is enjoyable before spending money

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters

Futurdreamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I know this will probably all end in tears, but I have to ask.

Before we begin, I would like to remind everyone that we are on an international forum with members from all walks of life and beliefs, and therefore we will not reach a consensus of what is morally allowable. Keep that in mind when you consider attempting to "correct" other's beliefs.

We will have people who have a zero tolerance for piracy

We will have people who accept making backups of games they legally own.

We will have people who accept "obtaining" games that are not offered for purchase

We will have people who accept "obtaining" games that are unaffordable

We will have people who accept "obtaining" games irregardless of their availability to purchase

We will have people with different beliefs that what I have accounted for.

And overtime people's beliefs may change with their tastes and lifestyle

I just want to know the percentage

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
I have hacked every console I've owned for a long as I can remember, the amount of software I've pirated would stack up to tens of thousands of dollars.

I consider myself to be an ethical pirate, the main genre of games I consume is RPG's so my rule of thumb is if I spend more than 15-20 hours in the main story of an RPG, I'll actually buy it in the eShop so the money filters back to nintendo and then the studio/Devs.

Then I just delete the eShop copy and keep playing the pirated one.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I believe last time this came up I arrived at
"I pirate, therefore I am".
I will go with that again. Of course as this is the public internet I have not only had licenses for everything I have ever used, in many cases an excess of them even, I even wore a condom and hard hat while doing so.

"Zero Piracy, legally owning all games and playing as intented
Legally owning all games, but backups and mods are reasonable"

Some companies will tell me second hand is tantamount to, they get the raised middle finger but it is an option that some consider. Some places also try to prevent the resale of downloaded games, personally I buy and sell old accounts all the time as a workaround for that and don't consider it in any way unethical. Also if the law says I am allowed to make backups of my own stuff, and in many places that is the case with the main source of fuzziness coming in whether I have to break DRM to do so, then how are those two options different?

Also "I'm one if those people who uses cheats in online games against unsuspecting strangers" might well overlap with piracy for some but my memory editor or bot cares not if I am running with a serial not my own or with one I purchased as part of a season pass with all the DLC and get a crappy statue and book of printed dev art.

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For newish games, if you enjoy a game, you should definitely buy it. I'm alright with "try before you buy", but it's a slippery slope.

If it's a game for a legacy console, such as nes, snes, ps1, sega, etc., then I don't think you NEED to buy it since the company isn't really depending on those old games anymore, but it's nice to legally own it.

Also, you might've already bought the same game if it's an old one. Like, God knows how many times I've bought Super Mario World on different consoles over the years. I might not feel like paying for it again on Wii U and 3DS.

I know games are super overpriced in some places, but at least in the US that's how I feel.

Last edited by invaderyoyo,

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What is your stand on law?
- I follow the law down to the letter, no matter what I think about it or what are the consequences.
x I go with what I think is right, trying not to collide to much with the law, and not being too loud about it.
- I don't give a fuck about the law and do as I wish.
- I don't give a fuck about right, I stick to the "law" and flex it to always make a profit.
- I purposely try to do everything against the law, because I enjoy that!

I think I am chaotic good, so do you have your charts ready? When do we start the game?

PS: "Hey SarkW, I know you love the chaotic good alignment, but your choice is more like a neutral good" said the voice, "Oh, shut up you party pooper, let me and my chaotic good be!", replied the crazy dude on the basement™.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,
D

Deleted User

Try beofre you buy. and if the devs are scummy pieces of ass (like the ARK devs were when they released that DLC or NMS) then i uninstall and don't buy

EDIT: when it comes to consoles, it's my only option to pirate. since getting a console + retro/vintage games would require me to spend a lot of money

Last edited by ,
D

Deleted User

"What's your stance on piracy"
"please do not argue"

Oh come on. If you only want to know the percentage make a strawpoll or something.

To answer your question, I pirate. I don't have a stand on it. It would be nice if people didn't pirate but it's what it is. We can't contain piracy without really shutting down lots of the internet and that's not the freedom of the internet.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
As for me it all depends, today 100% of games I play on 3DS (let me check... yes) are originals or backups from my originals, but I have also a couple installed that I don't own, I tried, I didn't like so much, and I should uninstall.
Regarding Wii U, 100% of games I play, I own (as if it was difficult with that library).
Mac... well, perhaps there the number goes more like 90%, but because some games I play are not even available on OSX (I play through Wine) and I am lazy.
Xbox One, 100% of games I play, I own (not that I had an option).

But things weren't so easy before, I can count with one hand the number of original games I owned in DS or Wii back in the day.
And I think back in the day I owned the awesome number of 0 original PS1 games. I think they didn't even sell originals in my hometown, the market only sold counterfeit copies and the consoles they sold came with a modchip by default (not optional), also almost sure back in the day all Megadrive and Nes (Famicom actually) games I had were chinese counterfeit cartridges. Back in the day being legit was hard.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

Demifiend

The bored one
Trophies
XP
Country
Yet another one of these threads? I guess some people weren't happy with how things turned out in previous threads.

Anyway, my stance on piracy has been pretty much the same, I'll pirate but I only do so with the things I feel like needing or using, I'm free trade for games though, but those applications like the Adobe ones or the Image Line that ask you 99$ to be purchased are a "No-no" on my list, while supporting the developers is the right and moral thing, the prices of some DAWs can get pretty ridiculous and sadly, I am not able to support them that way, no matter how you look at, so that's it, I'm the kind of guy who prefers to pirate programs and applications rather than games, of course that doesn't mean I don't pirate games, I download the ones that I know I'm going to play or keep, I put them on a HDD and then I'll later consider to play them or not.

I don't download that much amount of games ultimately tho, the last batch of games that I downloaded are meant to be free online, and most of them are retro games that are hard to find and get, of course that doesn't mean I haven't downloaded modern games but I don't do it that frequently, since I end up not playing most of them anyway, is mostly a thing to try and then forget (since most of them don't have a demo, either)

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You can not justify piracy.

Me stance on it...
I don't really care, but if you're to dumb to follow a tutorial or even understand the basics of piracy, then you don't deserve to pirate.

I literally had people complain to me that they expected to play a game on a unhacked if they burned a torrent file to a cd.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
My answer is still the same as it was in all 500 other threads we have about this.

I pirate games to "Try before I buy". If I like it, it gets added to the list of games I plan on purchasing whenever I have extra cash. Anything I don't like just gets abandoned.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lesbians invented babies