Homebrew Question What's with the hate?

Boomerams

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was just browsing the ummm...well, "tinfoil" (trying not to get in trouble here) and just saw a new sections for payloads. What struck me as kind of weird were the descriptions for the different payloads that named atmosphere the "worst" and SXOS the "best" CFW along side hekate labeled as "really bad bootloader".

I'm not really sure I understand what the hate is all about. Seriously, atmosphere has always been good to me with sciresm progressing forward with his dedication to the project, SXOS has been good to me besides some if the questionable practices from TX, and hekate I have never had a problem with so not sure what that's all about.

Is there just some drama, behind the scenes, that I don't know about or are people just being petty b!+(#es by throwing these childish blows at others doing good work?

Reactions: TheXpertXD

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is simple Blawar doesn't get along with Kosmos and Hekate developer, what says on Tinfoil is just Blawar opinion, everyone has their own opinion.

Boomerams

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is simple Blawar doesn't get along with Kosmos and Hekate developer, what says on Tinfoil is just Blawar opinion, everyone has their own opinion.

Absolutely, everyone has and is entitled to their own opinion no argument there. Just struck me as kind of stupid and childish to go out of the way to list them like they did. Just my curiosity getting the best of me.

Reactions: Stealphie

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If people hate him or not he is an asset to the scene he has developed great software. I dont agree with everything he does but he is entitled to his own options. Tinfoil is arguably one of the most best NSP/XCI Installers to-date because of the ability to run free shops get your DLC from it. I dont use the freeshop personally for games but when it comes to the DLC everything is right there instead of you trying to soucre the net for it.

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When a system has no games it seems people are reduced to arguing about petty, largely inconsequential, differences between flash carts, mod chips, custom firmwares or whatever is the method of choice for running copied/hacked stuff.
"no games"
The Switch's diverse library of games: Am I a joke to you?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"no games"
The Switch's diverse library of games: Am I a joke to you?
Yeah it really is. Few lame ports of old games and old indy games, and possibly some even older games. Few utterly middle of the range Nintendo efforts drip fed as per usual.

Or to ask it another way. If I skipped the Switch entirely would I be missing out on anything?

Itsuki235

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are some technical reasons to dislike the Hekate's "fss0=" style booting that Kosmos supports by default, and also some technical reasons to dislike Tinfoil as well (unncessary CSE).

Here is a drama-free discussion of how the technology works so you can understand why some people are saying Hekate is "really bad bootloader" or w/e: https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-to-choose-which-atmosphere-patches-to-use-on-switch-fw-10.563886/

Note that they probably mean "Hekate is really bad bootloader [for booting Atmosphere if it does so via fss0=. The payload= method should always be used instead]", but people either do not clarify that point to add the stuff in the brackets [] or are just ignorant, or w/e.

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah it really is. Few lame ports of old games and old indy games, and possibly some even older games. Few utterly middle of the range Nintendo efforts drip fed as per usual.

Or to ask it another way. If I skipped the Switch entirely would I be missing out on anything?
Yes.
Smash Ultimate, Mario Odyssey, Kirby Star Allies, ARMS, Pokemon Sword + Shield (regardless of your opinion on it, it does qualify as part of "anything") and the myriad of other exclusives or games with exclusive features.
Oh, and the whole "hybrid console" aspect allowing for play whenever and however you want.
Oh, and the twenty-odd gimmicks crammed in the Joy-Cons through arcane compression methods.

Reactions: cucholix

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So a fairly mediocre sequel to a party fighting game, a slightly more risk taking but ultimately mediocre 3d platformer, another kirby game (and kirby was always third rate), a boring fighting game with a motion control gimmick, yet another pokemon without much new to bring to the table. So Nintendo first party CPR, same as it has been since the SNES or DS, depending upon how you want to look at it. Whoo.

Hybrid = handheld with HDMI out.

Gimmicks is nice, games is nicer.

Reactions: f0li0

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically, Blawar and a few other developers have been taking potshots at each other for the past several years. What you're seeing is largely the result of that. It probably also stems from the older Atmosphere vs SXOS debate, which all began when it was discovered that SXOS was built on top of Atmosphere and several other open-source projects while effectively claiming it was wholly their own work. Unsurprisingly, many of the fans of open-source software weren't amused and that vitriol continues today.

Reactions: Stealphie

Lodad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

People forget that the switch wasn't getting good first-party games for a LONG time, and only getting Wii U ports.

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So a fairly mediocre sequel to a party fighting game, a slightly more risk taking but ultimately mediocre 3d platformer, another kirby game (and kirby was always third rate), a boring fighting game with a motion control gimmick, yet another pokemon without much new to bring to the table. So Nintendo first party CPR, same as it has been since the SNES or DS, depending upon how you want to look at it. Whoo.

calls Smash Ultimate, a game so good the Melee nuts jumped ship and it's the best (or second best) selling fighting game EVER, mediocre
calls Mario Odyssey mediocre
calls Kirby third rate

Sir, f*ck you. Please leave this thread if all you intend to do is hate on Nintendo themselves.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
calls Smash Ultimate, a game so good the Melee nuts jumped ship and it's the best (or second best) selling fighting game EVER, mediocre
calls Mario Odyssey mediocre
calls Kirby third rate

Sir, f*ck you. Please leave this thread if all you intend to do is hate on Nintendo themselves.

Nintendo do very little for me. Even on their good consoles they were an also ran. Looking at what made the GBA and DS so special (and increasingly I am seeing it in the GB/GBC as well thanks to going back through things properly there) they lost it towards the end of the DS, missed it on the 3ds entirely and barring a slight flirtation with it on the gamecube have not had it since the SNES.

Do you imagine people will be debating odyssey with any of the passion of even sunshine in 10 years?

If you have to resort to sales figures then yeah. Also I have long looked over the "competitive" scenes for smash brothers and laughed, most of the hacking scenes not much better (though they do at least have some interesting technical work done).

I also find it somewhat telling that in your little list of first party efforts you neglected to mention Zelda as I guess it was that forgettable in the end.

Nintendo are a big company. They don't care if I think their efforts are at best mediocre and maybe templates for someone else to jump off from.

lisreal2401

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Go ask the person that also paints himself as homophobic - I can't tell if he actually is, but I know he's a complete tool which does nothing but hurt his coding career.

He's basically saying, I'm talented, you'll use my work, but also I hate all of you.

tom2199

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I also find it somewhat telling that in your little list of first party efforts you neglected to mention Zelda as I guess it was that forgettable in the end.
BotW wasn't an exclusive tho. And Links Awakening is a "remaster" of sorts.

SedRick_M89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

I hate to admit, but this guy is right ^^
I've always loved nintendo, I love replaying retro games.. the switch is a good idea but let's be honest, they majority of the games being released are basically crappy phone apps. Like click bait you play for 5 seconds then realise it's a pile of crap.

Zelda was surprisingly good but the lack of graphics was disappointing. SSBU was good but not as enjoyable as melee and it's already boring.

The only good thing about the recent consoles is that they are easily hackable and the switch; you can replay the games you loved with hd texture packs..

What they have sold us is a powerful handheld with massively wasted potential.. when microsoft bought rare, it's like nintendo gave up. They would make far more money remastering or remaking their older games rather than spraying app-diarrhea everywhere.

I can't name 5 nintendo exclusive games on the switch that make not hacking it, worth it

Reactions: Firexploit

Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Mario Odyssey was the pinacle of first party, and lets be honest their is nothing “mediocre” about it. It fully deserves its metacritic rating. Smash is brilliant, having pokemon on the big screen is another plus, but the best part of the switch for me has been that their have been a boat load of 3rd party options, which werent their on their older consoles.
You can rag on the switch all you want but the ps4 and xbox 1 counterparts offer a fk load less decent exclusives(God of War pretty much sums it up for me). Dont have the same great homebrew scene & don’t offer a hybrid portable console. I will say that this year has been slow. Other than Animal crossing which I don’t care much for nothing really exciting has popped up. I wish team cherry would hurry up with silksong...

Last edited by Basketto,

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically, it's an e-dick measuring contest between users of SXOS and those who use any other way to run programs using unsigned code on the Switch. Choose whatever works best for you in the end, but don't be shocked if some homebrew around here doesn't work with SXOS.

And honestly, the opinions of what the best Switch exclusives can be discussed in a different part of this same sub-section of the forums.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ShinyLuxio @ ShinyLuxio:
    @BigOnYa thanks but my question isn't there
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You ask your questions there, create a new thread if its not already answered, then eventually a 3ds genius will respond.
  • ShinyLuxio @ ShinyLuxio:
    I will, thanks
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    No prob and btw, welcome to gbatemp! :grog:
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 I got some cheapies at wallys, that are pretty good, already have lost a few expensive ones (one falls out and gone, can't find) while cutting grass so bought some cheap ones, and of course never lose these cheap ones. (Cheap meaning only $35, compared to air buds which I only have 1 of 2 now)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They need to add air tags to they airbuds..
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @BigOnYa the airtags are bigger than the airpods, they won't fit
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Be cool tech tho. Of course they want to lose them anyways. Buy and buy again.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Apple could make a find my AirPods thing pretty easily
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You would think, esp using bluetooth, not GPS, like a "your getting hot-er" meter on your phone.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think they should tie up diddy, and let all the victims come and abuse him, we'll make a holiday of it every year. (jk, maybe)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm starting to sound like a Tck Gonna cut myself off.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's not 4th of July yet
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It is in India.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Wow, only $700?
  • SnowStormAkikaze @ SnowStormAkikaze:
    Hey :)
    If I book mark the topic where can I read them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Click on your profile pic in the top right corner, and you'll get the profile menu popup, with the profile icon highlighted at the top, and the "bookmarks" banner next to it in gray. Click on that icon and you'll get a list of your bookmarks.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Banners we don't need no stinking banners! Lol
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    [bans you for not taking a bath] :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Who bans the banners?
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I just did
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I just did