Hacking Whats the hardware difference between slots?

goretech

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like a lot of people here I am just trying to figure out what cart is best. Price matters not, I just want the best that does the most.

I am interested in DS-X even tho GBA support may be missing. But also interested in movie playback.

I read in a thread that NDS slot has lower bandwidth then the GBA slot? Would this affect movie playback?

I mean from my understanding the NDS has the cpu power to play full res divx with its two ARM9 cpus. I had a GP2X which had nearly the same CPUs and it played my 700mb divx movies great. So I am assuming the real limitation is the bandwidth on the NDS slots?

Anyhow so DS-X would have much slower bandwidth for movie/audio playback? And really how is this possible that more intense games for the DS have lower bandwidth on the DS port rather then old GBA games... hmm

thanks in advance for your input.

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The GP2X is far more powerful than DS.
There is enough bandwidth for movies on either slot, but the power of the DS (67MHz ARM9e and 33MHz ARM7 processors) limits it. At the moment you have to convert movies into a special DS compatible format for them to work.

There is no way to tell if the DS side will affect movie playback until the units are out to test on. But I can't see the DS slot being slower than the GBA slot.

goretech

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The GP2X is far more powerful than DS.
There is enough bandwidth for movies on either slot, but the power of the DS (67MHz ARM9e and 33MHz ARM7 processors) limits it. At the moment you have to convert movies into a special DS compatible format for them to work.

There is no way to tell if the DS side will affect movie playback until the units are out to test on. But I can't see the DS slot being slower than the GBA slot.

My bad so it is the CPUs that affect it. I for some reason assumed the DS had 200mhz sorta like the GP2x. Man 67mhz is pretty slow. I guess I never realized the power I had with the GP2X for homebrew. To bad the shell/joystick design was horrible.

pte

Trophies
XP
Country
The CPU's mhz number isn't the thing that only counts. It is the architechture which was used to create it, some processors can work out a lot more tasks per one megahertz than others so a 33mhz processor might be faster than something that has, lets say 150mhz. That was just a rough example, but the number isn't always what counts.

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Heehee, the Dreamcast had a 200mhz CPU in it.

True......but what the hell did that have to do with the topic
wtf.gif
lol.....Welcome to GBATemp n00ber
yaynds.gif

goretech

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The CPU's mhz number isn't the thing that only counts. It is the architechture which was used to create it, some processors can work out a lot more tasks per one megahertz than others so a 33mhz processor might be faster than something that has, lets say 150mhz. That was just a rough example, but the number isn't always what counts.

I am aware of this but the GP2X has Arm9 processors like the DS. Just funny the put 67mhz cpus in it instead of like 150mhz.

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country

I am aware of this but the GP2X has Arm9 processors like the DS. Just funny the put 67mhz cpus in it instead of like 150mhz.
The DS is quite a bit cheaper than the GP2X and they want the battery to last longer, so they chose a slower processor.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Looks like Link's Awakening was metaphorical.