Gaming whats the better picture ?

Bowser128

King Koopa
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I always thought SCART was the same as RGB component.

But as I'm an Aussie I would definately take some European advice on this one.

By Component people mean Component YUV, which is far superior to RGB. Component RGB and SCART RGB are exactly the same thing, just with a different connector (SCART in Europe, the phono style plugs elsewhere).

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
By Component people mean Component YUV, which is far superior to RGB. Component RGB and SCART RGB are exactly the same thing, just with a different connector (SCART in Europe, the phono style plugs elsewhere).
Why do people mean YUV?
The Wii doesn't support YUV component does it?
**edit**
I've done some googling and it seems that MAYBE the Wii will auto switch to the supported component standard.

QUOTE(shaunj66 @ Dec 17 2006, 06:14 AM)Component is superior to SCART. But you'll only find it on HDTV's, which should have SCART connections available anyway.
I pretty sure you are incorrect there, in general at least.
SCART technically supports either or all of the following, composite, s-video and RGB component video. Unofficially it can also carry the YUV standard if the equipment supports it.

The comment about component only being on HDTVs is completely inaccurate. They may not be commonplace in the UK but here in OZ (where SCART is fairly rare) you can buy a cheap CRT TV with RGB component inputs and other non-HD TV's like my friends standard definition (maybe EDTV?) plasma.

As this is in the Wii forum I assume we are talking about a Wii SCART cable. I'm not familiar with that so I cant say whether it carries the RGB signal.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The wii support YUV with component cable and can deliver up to 480p
I tried the 3 cables (on PS2), RCA is blurry, Scart is nice and YUV the better.

I'm waiting for my wii component cable I bought.

Bowser128

King Koopa
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Why do people mean YUV?
The Wii doesn't support YUV component does it?
**edit**
I've done some googling and it seems that MAYBE the Wii will auto switch to the supported component standard.

Component is superior to SCART. But you'll only find it on HDTV's, which should have SCART connections available anyway.
I pretty sure you are incorrect there, in general at least.
SCART technically supports either or all of the following, composite, s-video and RGB component video. Unofficially it can also carry the YUV standard if the equipment supports it.

The comment about component only being on HDTVs is completely inaccurate. They may not be commonplace in the UK but here in OZ (where SCART is fairly rare) you can buy a cheap CRT TV with RGB component inputs and other non-HD TV's like my friends standard definition (maybe EDTV?) plasma.

As this is in the Wii forum I assume we are talking about a Wii SCART cable. I'm not familiar with that so I cant say whether it carries the RGB signal.

The Wii Component cable is YUV as far as I'm aware
unsure.gif

No-one interprets Component as Component RGB because it's used so rarely. Here RGB is always in a SCART, in the US they use S-video as their better than Composite standard instead, and in both cases Component is only (widely) used for YUV connections. I don't know the situation in Oz, but the majority are from the US and Europe, so you aren't going to be seeing much mention of Component RGB.

As for Shaun's comment being completely inaccurate, he's in the UK, replying to someone else who is in the UK, where Component inputs are virtually non-existent apart from on HDTVs, I have never ever seen a CRT in this country with Component inputs. Therefore, his reply was accurate, I sincerely doubt this guy is going to encounter any TVs in this country that don't conform to what Shaun said.

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well Bowser128, we are just going to have to agree to disagree as I just spoke to a friend that moved back from England to Australia and brought his TV (and the rest of his household items) with him. It has both RCA component plugs and SCART connections (and even an S-Video). It's a CRT and was purchased in Britain.

It would be interesting to test your theory with a PS2 with component cables though as the PS2 will not auto choose the standard (RGB or YUV [technically YPbPr] component signal) to output. It sounds like this is close to what cyan has done.
I'm also wondering if your component cables are the same as ours, with the red green and blue RCA connector ends (and additional audio)
I know in the US that is what they are like and that they are certainly able to carry RGB signals.

I assume that the RCA, RGB component inputs would be less commonplace due to the widespread use of SCART but to say that they only exist on HDTV's might (note the might) be being closed minded. It does not mirror my experience (even with UK sold sets as mentioned above) and seems a little too blanket to be true.

This is all getting a little academic though, obviously practically what shaunj66 has stated is correct in the UK. SCART cables can (and sometimes do) carry a YUV cable even though it is not part of the standard as long as the connected equipment supports it.
RCA component cables can and IMHO usually DO carry both RGB and YUV signals, though the connected equipment may only accept one of the two standards.

To this end, I'm sure the same is true in the UK as it is here. If you get a screen that can display a certain quality signal it will almost definitely have the appropriate connectors for that signal.

To answer the original question
QUOTE said:
whats the better picture RGB scart or component ?
Neither, the connectors do not determine the video signal. However the component connections are likely to be more useful for you.

This sure has been a learning experience for me and I hope others find it useful.

Bowser128

King Koopa
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well Bowser128, we are just going to have to agree to disagree as I just spoke to a friend that moved back from England to Australia and brought his TV (and the rest of his household items) with him. It has both RCA component plugs and SCART connections (and even an S-Video). It's a CRT and was purchased in Britain.

I assume that the RCA, RGB component inputs would be less commonplace due to the widespread use of SCART but to say that they only exist on HDTV's might (note the might) be being closed minded. It does not mirror my experience (even with UK sold sets as mentioned above) and seems a little too blanket to be true.

I'm not saying they don't exist, but I would love to know where your friend got his TV from. I used to work at an electronics store, I only ever saw a couple of TVs with S-video, and I never saw Component on a non-HD set. Almost every (non-HD) TV I've ever seen here has only had SCART and/or phono Composite.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6vlP2qSyo