Homebrew Question What's the best way to dump Switch games?

ButtonMarkedErase

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone, I'm wanting to back up my switch games to my server and I have a few questions about dumping games.

1) I'm using nxdumptool, and when I dump a game bigger than 4gb it'll put it into it's own folder and dump them as 4gb chunks (obviously because the sd card is fat32). How can I combine those chunks into one .nsp file? I'm running Linux if there's a piece of software that does it.

2) What should I dump the cartridges as? I heard .xci is for carts but nxdumptool gives me the option to dump my cart as .nsp

Thank you so much for the help :)

EDIT:

Sort of a question 3, but it doesn't need to be answered: What's the best tool to dump switch games? (if nxdumptool is inferior to any)

Last edited by ButtonMarkedErase,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm wanting to back them up on my server just in acse I ever need the file for like yuzu or something like that

Im sorry if this isn't the help you wanted, but I think that you can use goldleaf/tinfoil to install the parts of the game that were individually split(not sure,never dumped a game before, but you can find multiple guides by just searching nxdumptool on google.). As for you question about nsps, they are the same as .xci files. Nxdumptool is also THE way to dump games since you can back them up.(formating your sd card to exfat solves the file splitting issue.) :)

Shiranui-san

Trophies
XP
Country
To join 4gb chunks into 1 xci file:
rename all files the same (except the extension), put them in the same folder and open a command line window and type:
copy /b chunks_name* whatever_name_you_want.xci

xci is a 1:1 copy of the cartridge, something like full iso.
nsp will only dump the game data, it's like trimming or scrubbing an iso.

ButtonMarkedErase

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To join 4gb chunks into 1 xci file:
rename all files the same (except the extension), put them in the same folder and open a command line window and type:
copy /b chunks_name* whatever_name_you_want.xci

xci is a 1:1 copy of the cartridge, something like full iso.
nsp will only dump the game data, it's like trimming or scrubbing an iso.

Ah that answers my questions! hanks :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-S22+,Google-Pixel-8a/phones/11762,12219...