Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As the title says, which NES emu is the best, as in plays the most ROMs without hassle, for the PC. I know there's about a dozen different ones or more, but which one "just works"?

In the past, I used NESticle......and right now I use RockNES, but both of those won't play some certain games. Which is why I'm asking.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The usual method is the emulator did not emulate something precisely which one or two roms do not get along with. Speed, inaccurate documentation, "piracy" concerns, a simple error in programming and a whole host of other things can/have been blamed.

MAME/MESS is usually fairly accurate. I will leave it to you to find a frontend you like.

doom5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nestopia is the best NES emulator; it's the most accurate emulator out there, and is still being updated.

FCE Ultra is garbage in comparison.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to second NEStopia as that sucker by far is the most accurate, lots of customization, lots of 'NES' accessories are supported, massive memory mapper line-up, and as already stated...still updated.

FCEU is kind of a distant second really and I don't think it's actively updated anymore, maybe screwed around with by random people with random versions but that's no good.

Rayder

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NEStopia eh? Hmm.....I'll give it a look. I tried FCE ultra and it would crash saying something about a secondary layer error or some crap like that.

Thanks everyone!
grog.gif

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NEStopia may have 'options' but out of the box setup will work just fine for the biggest of idiots. Just load rom and go basically. (Basically because time number 1 you need to setup your gamepad/keyboard how you like.) I don't even think you need to setup for zapper as the mouse just works as it.

Javacat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm going to go with Nestopia as well. It's one of the few emulators that will play Elite properly, which makes it instant win
grog.gif

Edit: oops, sorry about the post bump.. wasn't paying attention to the dates
tongue.gif

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Taking advantage that the topic got bumped, I'll throw mine's opinion in too
biggrin.gif

I use NEStopia lately. It's a good emulator. But before it, I used VirtuaNES. It rocked a lot. They're pretty similiar, to say the truth.

Maybe I'll go back to it one day... Dunno yet. The main version it's not being updated, but there's something like VirtuaNESex out there that's still getting updates and it supports a lot of strange mappers that other emus don't support yet.

So... if a game crashes with NEStopia, go with VirtuaNES
wink.gif

Eternal Myst

Back from the Myst.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nestopia is the best.When you first download it the colors for games are dull because its on a normal setting.You can go to the settings,and adjust the color and make it sexy bright and sexy looking.The best snes emulator would be Snes9x,and before somebody says "Snes9x"has bugs and the sound is horrible.Well that is the result of the latest version.The version before it is perfect and is better than Zsnes.Zsnes is if you want to play the game without interupptions,but Snes9x is if you are multi-tasking.I am playing Chrono Trigger with Snes9x right now.
yaynds.gif

Rayder

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NEStopia seems to work pretty well. I had to dork around with it to get a completely full screen with no borders, but i finally did.

GexX2

Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nestopia is alright. I personally prefer FCEU Ultra because Nestopia sometimes gives me flashing sprites on some games and sections of the screen that should be cut off. Nessie is fine too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me...