Hardware What's the Best Micro SD Card for the EZ Flash IV?

MA3STRO

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've got a couple of EZ Flash IVs coming in the post. They should be here within the next day or so.

I am sure I will have many questions when it does arrive, but at the moment the main question I have is related to the micro SD card.

I know that the maximum it can hold is 32GB.

For the GB, GB Color, and GBA collection, 32GB is way too much, however I might need that if I am using other emulators.

What other emulators work with the EZ Flash IV on a GBA. From what I have read, NES and Master System and Game Gear work. What about SNES and Genesis/MegaDrive? If the EZ Flash IV works with a lot of emulators, I might just buy some 32GB cards.

Also, are there any limitations as to what type of micro SD to buy?

I'm tempted to buy some fast micro cards, but I suspect that the additional speed will not be utilised and may even stop the card from working properly i.e. do I have to buy a slow card? Buying a fast card means I can put it in a camera later etc, but the reality is that it will never leave the flash cart so it's kind of stupid thinking like that.

I will be doing a full video review of the flash cart so I'm keen to figure all of this out for myself from a gaming point of view and so that I do a good review.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Kevin

P.S. Thanks to all the guys in the chat room welcoming me :)

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
Buy any class 10 microSD you want. They are mostly dirt cheap.

Your wasting money if you spend it on a microSDXC, it will only run at class 10 or lower depending on what brand you get. For example, low end sandisk microSDXC run at class 4 speeds, while the 4-bit mode runs at whatever is listed.

Reactions: MA3STRO

MA3STRO

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for getting back to me.

The carts arrived the other day. I quickly tried it with a 64GB card in it. It loaded ok with that so I should hopefully be able to mess around with it all and test how it all works and then figure out how much storage I need from there.

Sounds like I would be throwing money away buying a quick micro sd card.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah things are not loaded directly from the SD and instead get bounced onto the NOR or PSRAM. NOR is going to take ages either way and PSRAM is probably limited by some internal bus somewhere, and in any case it will not change how the gameplay goes.

To that end buy a cheap and cheerful (but legit, so no China or Hong Kong ebay jobs) cart that fits what you want on there. A quick scan says 16 gig class 10 Sandisk goes for £5.99, 11.95 for a 32 gig one. You have already done the GBA game and emulator size chart.

To answer the emulator stuff then the EZ4 will only do GBA emulators so while there are SNES emulators they are not the best (no sound, fewer buttons than the SNES had, usually graphics and layer issues, probably need some frameskip, obviously nothing that needs a special chip https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_NES_enhancement_chips but when all is said and done there are some things you can play), if something got ported to the GBA then do that. You could possibly get something done with the PCE/TG16 emulator too as a few of the 16 bit era things went on there too. Surprisingly there is no megadrive/genesis emulator for the GBA, though again quite a few things got ports.

Reactions: MA3STRO

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-