Hacking What type of Wii Brick do I have?

Portyman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have hacked my wii using letterbomb and installed HBC and it was working fine for a while. I installed a bunch of emulators and the program that allows me to play games from a USB drive. (Can't remember name). Something happened now that causes my Wii to freeze after the health screen. I do have priloader installed and I can get to the HBC using that and play with the emulators and load programs. I thought it might be a banner brick but I can boot the Wii into maintenance mode and I can play games from DVD and I have access to all the settings options. I am not sure how or what to do to try to fix it. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

I tried to install bootmi but I get a -1 error.

Thanks

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It may be a banner brick (involving dynamic banners - notice that some are missing things in mantenance mode? or at least they were in the wiiconnect24 days, lol) or a corrupted mailbox (which I'm unsure on how it may be fixed; I'm not sure if you can just delete its file from the nand and have it auto recreated)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
did you touch the IOS recently ? patching IOS80 (if you are on 4.3), or trying to patch it for riiconnect24?
running syscheck from hbc could gives you proper info about your IOS used by the system menu.

does recovery mode launches the system menu, or it's a different menu? if it launches system menu, then the IOS is fine.

did you try to load system menu from hbc, instead of priiloader? I guess you tried, I'm looking for ideas.

Last edited by Cyan,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Instead of Start and Select, you mean + & -?
Yeah, don't they say start and select around them? ("hold + + -" is unreadable lol)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

does recovery mode launches the system menu, or it's a different menu?
Standard wii menu, just with different arguments actually health&safety is already part of the wii menu lol

Portyman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Instead of Start and Select, you mean + & -?

@Portyman Which one?
Plus and minus

did you touch the IOS recently ? patching IOS80 (if you are on 4.3), or trying to patch it for riiconnect24?
running syscheck from hbc could gives you proper info about your IOS used by the system menu.

does recovery mode launches the system menu, or it's a different menu? if it launches system menu, then the IOS is fine.

did you try to load system menu from hbc, instead of priiloader? I guess you tried, I'm looking for ideas.
I am not sure about the IOS. The system menu runs when the recovery mode is run. It crashes when it goes to system menu from HBC

HBC says it’s 1.12 IOS 58 v24.32

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I never used recovery mode. does it prevent banners from loading?
if only the banners and message board are not loaded in recovery mode, then one of these is the cause.

maybe it would be a good idea to make a full NAND dump (bootmii or FSdumper), and do some try and errors in neek mode. it's easier to mess with by deleting files or channels without risking a full brick.
once you find the cause, you can do it on realNAND, or start searching how to do it without bricking. for example, reseting/deleting all messages from message board.
you said you have setting access, on last resort I would format to remove channels and message board, but that's last resort only, as it will also reset your console key, some of your backup and savegames will not work anymore.

HBC says it’s 1.12 IOS 58 v24.32
that's good.

Last edited by Cyan,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
does it prevent banners from loading?
Only dynamic banners, apparently (like actual news on the news channel's icon and banner, voting channel, "mission available/new ghosts" on mario kart channel, etc - they also exist on DSi and 3DS but sadly they're extremely underused on 3DS)

Reactions: Cyan

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Psiloader says I have ios80..... does that make sense when HBC says 58
Priiloader (and therefore Wii Menu, if you didn't change that in the settings of Priiloader) is running on 80 because its TMD requests IOS 80, the HBC is running on 58 because its TMD requests IOS 58 - nothing weird there :)

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Priiloader runs under whatever the system menu uses because it "replaces" the system menu. The installer renames the main .app file and puts Priiloader there instead. If PL has nothing to do when you turn the console on it just loads the renamed .app and runs it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/8tRQnqT