2Hack

HYPiavelli
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Canada
English's my first language, Arabic's my native language, and I can speak French too

Y también yo aprendo Español. :)

edit: I can understand a lick of Japanese but gosh to the folks here complaining about how hard it is, you haven't tried Arabic. holy **** is that hard.
You know, the most annoying part about Arabic is the different dialects.

Like, Egyptian Arabic vs Iraqi Arabic vs legit Arabic has a massive difference. And then some sounds like Kh jeem, haah vs haá( dunno how to even write that out in English phonically) but you get the point. So much change in a single language is insane.

Then the different accents, and stuff sprinkled over the page in excess is also super hard to learn.

And then conjugations yaaay :|

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You know, the most annoying part about Arabic is the different dialects.

Like, Egyptian Arabic vs Iraqi Arabic vs legit Arabic has a massive difference. And then some sounds like Kh jeem, haah vs haá( dunno how to even write that out in English phonically) but you get the point. So much change in a single language is insane.

Then the different accents, and stuff sprinkled over the page in excess is also super hard to learn.

And then conjugations yaaay :|

Yeah holy crap

Not to mention the fact that all 2nd language arabic classes teach classical arabic, which literally isn't spoken anywhere apart from like airport announcements or some crap

the conjugations dear god ;~;

Reactions: Deleted User

2Hack

HYPiavelli
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah holy crap

Not to mention the fact that all 2nd language arabic classes teach classical arabic, which literally isn't spoken anywhere apart from like airport announcements or some crap

the conjugations dear god ;~;
Well, I think classical Arabic is honestly the most important one. It is the one that is universally understood the most. I can't speak it though :rofl2:
Professional interviews are also also mostly conducted in classical Arabic, so it is definitely more important.

Say I was to go to Iraq though, and speak just classical Arabic, I'd be a joke lol, and Arabs don't let you live shit like that down. They judge people to the next level.

loco365

Trophies
XP
English is my main language, and I've been taking FSL (French as a Second Language) from fourth grade to twelfth grade. I know a fair amount of grammar and words (ie, I can construct decent sentences, some being complex, although I usually mess up the grammar here and there), but they don't teach you a lot of particularly useful vocabulary, and I really wish they did, as I'd make more use of French that way. I can translate it into English quite well though, provided I'm armed with a dictionary. I've also self-taught myself some Japanese, although it's very basic knowledge of some characters (Mostly Katakana and a few Hiragana, as well as a few Kanji) and really ends there.

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I can read write and speak both dutch and english, both on almost the same degree. i can understand german both written and spoken, but i can't get around the grammar, so i'll answer in english or dutch. I do understand at least enough italian to get directions, do my shoppings and order my dinner... say hi, tell someone she's lookin'great... but not really anything important. other languages not worth to talk about.

AboodXD

I hack NSMB games, and other shiz.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
I usually talk in English but Arabic is my Mother-language, and I know a little bit of Japanese

Wasn't Arabic wrote backwards? as in from right to left? Could come handy as I'm lefty :P

Writing in Arabic is not hard, even if you're left-handed...

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Really? I thought Latin, classical Latin rather than neo Latin at least, was fairly easy as it had the benefits of not having interacted with other languages for years (see that video from earlier).

I didn't actually try learning it, but just for curiosity I read about how Latin grammar works. Just like german, Latin have cases that change how the word is written, if I'm not mistaken it's 7 cases. When I tried learning German, the cases was one of the parts I had most difficulty understanding, because the words change depending on the context.

But maybe Latin really isn't difficult and I just got a little traumatized by the hard time I had with German :P

Reactions: Deleted User

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I didn't actually try learning it, but just for curiosity I read about how Latin grammar works. Just like german, Latin have cases that change how the word is written, if I'm not mistaken it's 7 cases. When I tried learning German, the cases was one of the parts I had most difficulty understanding, because the words change depending on the context.

But maybe Latin really isn't difficult and I just got a little traumatized by the hard time I had with German :P
To me. Latin looks like a primitive version of recent languages like french , spanish, portuguese, italian. It is the root for all of them, so if the lowest fom o saud language is learnt, maybe learning another romanic language would be easier :)

SammyPoke

Trophies
XP
Country
I know French, English, Spanish, and I'm in the process of mastering my French.
I don't just know English, I also know Britglish, Strine-glish (with the accent), some Spanglish, but my favorite is Franglais (which I tend to use a lot when I travel).
I also know coding, which I considered a language, but I can't speak that.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I know French, English, Spanish, and I'm in the process of mastering my French.
I don't just know English, I also know Britglish, Strine-glish (with the accent), some Spanglish, but my favorite is Franglais (which I tend to use a lot when I travel).
I also know coding, which I considered a language, but I can't speak that.
Cool!

So tu may comprendre what je say à you :)

Retribution

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Die Muttersprache meiner Familie ist Deutsch. An der Schule, habe ich viele Spanisch gelernt. Also, ich spreche Englisch, weil ich immer hier gewohnt habe. Mein Deutsch ist sehr besser als mein Spanisch... doch, bin ich in AP Spanisch... deshalb, mein Spanisch ist hochentwickelt. Auf Deutsch, finde ich die Grammatik sehr einfach. Obwohl, der viele grammatischen Regeln hat, die sind ganz logisch :)

My mother tongue is German. In school, I learned a lot of Spanish. Also, I (obviously) speak English, because I have always lived here. My German is much better than my Spanish, however, I am in AP Spanish. Therefore, my Spanish is highly-developed. In German, I consider the grammar to be quite simple. Although it has many grammatical rules, they are quite logical :)

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Die Muttersprache meiner Familie ist Deutsch. An der Schule, habe ich viele Spanisch gelernt. Also, ich spreche Englisch, weil ich immer hier gewohnt habe. Mein Deutsch ist sehr besser als mein Spanisch... doch, bin ich in AP Spanisch... deshalb, mein Spanisch ist hochentwickelt. Auf Deutsch, finde ich die Grammatik sehr einfach. Obwohl, der viele grammatischen Regeln hat, die sind ganz logisch :)

My mother tongue is German. In school, I learned a lot of Spanish. Also, I (obviously) speak English, because I have always lived here. My German is much better than my Spanish, however, I am in AP Spanish. Therefore, my Spanish is highly-developed. In German, I consider the grammar to be quite simple. Although it has many grammatical rules, they are quite logical :)

Vielleicht deutsche Grammatik ist logisch, ich weiß es nicht, aber ich finde sie ganz kompliziert. Englisch ist einfach, Spanisch ist einfach, aber ich wohne hier in Deutschland seit mehr als 3 Jahre, und ich spreche noch nicht gut Deutsch.
Die Kasus sind nämlich schwer.
PS: Ich weiß mein Deutsch ist schlecht, und diese Text hier zeigt es an.

English: German is difficult.

Retribution

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vielleicht deutsche Grammatik ist logisch, ich weiß es nicht, aber ich finde sie ganz kompliziert. Englisch ist einfach, Spanisch ist einfach, aber ich wohne hier in Deutschland seit mehr als 3 Jahre, und ich spreche noch nicht gut Deutsch.
Die Kasus sind nämlich schwer.
PS: Ich weiß mein Deutsch ist schlecht, und diese Text hier zeigt es an.

English: German is difficult.

The cases are easy for me.

Akkusativ: Ich habe den/einen Hund. It's the direct object. The Golden Rule, as the German teacher at my school says (I'm her T.A.), for the accusative is: "der goes to den, the rest stay the same." Only masculine words change in the accusative. Ich habe eine/die Frau. Ich habe ein/das Kind.

Dativ: This is the indirect object, or the receiver of the object. Many verbs are classified as dative verbs, like schicken (to send), geben (to give), kaufen (to buy), and helfen (to help). Unfortunately, all articles change in the dative. Ich gebe meinem/dem Vater [etw.] Ich schicke meiner/der Schwester [etw.] Ich kaufe meinem/dem Baby [etw.]

Genitiv: This isn't really used that often. When it is, it masculine articles and nouns add either an "s" or an "es" to the ending, depending on the number of syllables in the noun.

Frage des Tages (question of the day). des comes from der, and the reason why es is added is because "Tag" is only one syllable.

For anyone who has been confused by the German grammatical cases, I hope that this could offer help.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Has he had seizures before?