KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
In my opinion: None.
There is no data connection and the proprietary port is not compatible with any standard USB plug/cable.

Considering questions like this one, I'll just take the opportunity to friendly warn you: Do not do anything stupid – or your next thread might have a title like: "I accidentally […] and now the charging port is broken."

A question that gave me some worries: https://gbatemp.net/threads/installing-b9s-via-usb-connection.629383/
Wait… you asked a very similar thing before: https://gbatemp.net/threads/can-the-3ds-serial-pins-be-used.629257/

With adapters 3DS can be charged with USB. I know of no reported problems despite the nominal voltage of USB being slightly higher.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

Dragon91Nippon

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
In my opinion: None.
There is no data connection and the proprietary port is not compatible with any standard USB plug/cable.

Considering questions like this one, I'll just take the opportunity to friendly warn you: Do not do anything stupid – or your next thread might have a title like: "I accidentally […] and now the charging port is broken."

A question that gave me some worries: https://gbatemp.net/threads/installing-b9s-via-usb-connection.629383/
Wait… you asked a very similar thing before: https://gbatemp.net/threads/can-the-3ds-serial-pins-be-used.629257/

With adapters 3DS can be charged with USB. I know of no reported problems despite the nominal voltage of USB being slightly higher.
He's probably asking because he probably wants to replace it with a standardized connection and wants one that will fit the existing hole without cutting the case.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Replacing a working connector just because of "No more additional special charger!!"? No, thanks.

I know it sucks that Nintendo chose to use some proprietary nonsense port instead of a standard one. I still fail finding any appeal in tinkering with 3DS hardware without having to. If it is not broken, don't attempt to fix it.

Reactions: CoolMe

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Replacing a working connector just because of "No more additional special charger!!"? No, thanks.

I know it sucks that Nintendo chose to use some proprietary nonsense port instead of a standard one. I still fail finding any appeal in tinkering with 3DS hardware without having to. If it is not broken, don't attempt to fix it.
USB C is "one cable standard, for everything."
I convert everything I have to USB C if it's easy enough. For everything else I have that takes Micro USB, I just use magnetic tipped USB cables. Like on all of my controllers that have both plug types, PS4 and PS5 for example. The same cable charges them both, and I don't have to worry about the connector getting snapped off either.

Proprietary connectors can fuck off and die already.

PigletTubeYT

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Is there a dongle out there that plugs in to the 3DS Charging port and plug in a usb-c into the dongle to charge the 3DS?

User154

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a dongle out there that plugs in to the 3DS Charging port and plug in a usb-c into the dongle to charge the 3DS?

Look I don't off the top of my head but I highly doubt it, I seriously doubt theres the demand to make it commercially viable. You could very easily make one though if you really wanted.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
if you are refering to something where it plugs into current charging port and then into a usb port on a pc. then yes. there are cables for sale that are made like that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
    +1
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
    +1
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
  • cearp @ cearp:
    It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space
    +1
    Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @rqkaiju2, Physical media is a great source for archiving your data, none of that cloud storage shiz.
    +1
    [squeezes @SylverReZ onto a physical media, then archives you in my old stuff box] :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, should i change my pfp to one of these or keep it the same?
    iu

iu

(i guess i could change it to one of my other pfps too, but i just want to see what you guys think first)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Up to you.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    smug sonic time lmao
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: smug sonic time lmao