Hacking What IOS's are safe to delete

Knocks

Trophies
XP
Country
CyberAxe said:
I was just in DOP-Mii updating my IOS's and the following are safe to delete (at least on a generation 1 Wii Running System Menu 4.2)

IOS4
IOS10
IOS11
IOS16
IOS20
IOS30
IOS40
IOS48
IOS50
IOS51
IOS52
IOS60

And if you have System Menu 4.3 you should safley be able to remove IOS70

Thanks! I was successfully able to delete the IOS versions above, plus all versions 200+ using DOP-Mii. I did not touch IOS60 since I am still running System Menu 4.1.

P.S. I didn't do it to save space, but rather to unclutter the list of installed items. Everything works fine.

los_mentos

Trophies
XP
Country
I just installed ios 58, but since then my usb loader won't load games. Furthermore it still says I'm on ios 61, even though it completed installation.

Would it help deleting ios202 or updating ios249 (currently rev10), since they acces the usb 2.0?

icecold

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Active 28 IOS in 4.3:

IOS9 · IOS12 · IOS13 · IOS14 · IOS15 · IOS17 · IOS21 · IOS22 · IOS28 · IOS31 · IOS33 · IOS34 · IOS35 · IOS36 · IOS37 · IOS38 · IOS41 · IOS43 · IOS45 · IOS46 · IOS48 · IOS53 · IOS55 · IOS56 · IOS57 · IOS58 · IOS61 · [IOS80]

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
I don't get it. Why is there even a thread telling people to delete system IOS? All of them do not affect your Wii's memory in any way, and you'll instantly brick your Wii is you screw up. Just don't bother at all... Plus, if you ever do plan to do an official Nintendo update, you'll likely get fucked because you're missing an IOS and probably produce some sort of error and brick your Wii.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Coconuts 500 said:
As already mentioned, deleting an IOS will not give you ANY free space! IOSes are saved in a reserved space that you cannot use for anything. The people who said they gained space from deleting IOSes are wrong and plain and simply imagining things.

saying something in bold letters doesnt make it right. i have seen this for myself. deleting stubbed IOS made my system menu say i had 3 extra blocks.

that being said, stubbed IOS really share contents. so if you just delete 1 with ATD, it makes no difference. you would have to remove them all and then remove the shared contents for the file to be deleted from your wii. and the size of an full, non-stubbed IOS is really small. even if the IOS wad is 15 contents and 2MB, most of those are shared contents. they will only be installed on the wii if they are not there already. so that 2MB IOS may only end up installing 5KB onto the nand.

You really dont save much space deleting these things. you can delete something that will net you a few extra KB. or you can delete the saves for shitty games you have that are taking up 128 blocks.

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
giantpune said:
you can delete the saves for shitty games you have that are taking up 128 blocks.

this is what you have to do if you really really really really want to save up some space...!!
wink.gif

Knocks

Trophies
XP
Country
The IOS that are confirmed to be useless ARE safe to delete. I don't care about saving space. Uncluttering the list of installed IOS's alone was worth it for me.

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
giantpune said:
Coconuts 500 said:
As already mentioned, deleting an IOS will not give you ANY free space! IOSes are saved in a reserved space that you cannot use for anything. The people who said they gained space from deleting IOSes are wrong and plain and simply imagining things.

saying something in bold letters doesnt make it right. i have seen this for myself. deleting stubbed IOS made my system menu say i had 3 extra blocks.

that being said, stubbed IOS really share contents. so if you just delete 1 with ATD, it makes no difference. you would have to remove them all and then remove the shared contents for the file to be deleted from your wii. and the size of an full, non-stubbed IOS is really small. even if the IOS wad is 15 contents and 2MB, most of those are shared contents. they will only be installed on the wii if they are not there already. so that 2MB IOS may only end up installing 5KB onto the nand.

You really dont save much space deleting these things. you can delete something that will net you a few extra KB. or you can delete the saves for shitty games you have that are taking up 128 blocks.
Really?
But by using non reserved NAND memory Nintendo couldn't control the updates, let's assume for instance that someone ran out of NAND memory, an average person that know jack shit about Wii, if he made an update, and Nintendo added new IOS, how it's suppose those be installed when the person doesn't have any memory left in the NAND?

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lets also assume that nintendo is also capable of making errors and bugs. maybe there is an error in the way the system menu calculated the free space? IDK. but i do know that when i deleted those stub IOS, the system menu magically decided that i had a few more free blocks on my nand.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
OriginalHamster said:
But by using non reserved NAND memory Nintendo couldn't control the updates, let's assume for instance that someone ran out of NAND memory, an average person that know jack shit about Wii, if he made an update, and Nintendo added new IOS, how it's suppose those be installed when the person doesn't have any memory left in the NAND?
You've never had the system menu complain about having no free space when there's less than 200 blocks free?

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
tueidj said:
OriginalHamster said:
You've never had the system menu complain about having no free space when there's less than 200 blocks free?
Nope, in fact I have 136 blocks free in my NAND according the memory management menu, no complain from my Wii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's a shame some people's cake always resort to the same taste