Gaming What Firmware Version are Retail PS3s?

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
OP
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
If I purchase a PS3 from a store I'd like to make sure I'm not too late and it's updated to an unfun firmware. I'm basically not getting OtherOS but would like to use AsbestOS or legal homebrew.

In stores now in North America, are PS3s at firmware 3.41 or below?

Has PS3Groove been updated to work on newer firmware versions? What's the cutoff?

Is there a website where I can punch in a console's serial number from the box and find out the firmware? Similar to something the Wii had for IDing drives a while back.

Solution
From what Ive heard on different forums the PS3 + Move bundles are at 3.40
An attempt was made to ID systems with the tags but it didnt work, sony learned from the PSP phat easy ID on the box.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well...Basically, I think it is luck of the draw.

Since the PS3 model number's are for hardware changes if I recall correctly.

I don't think they would change the model number every time they make a new firmware. haha.

I think as of now PSGrove is basically only 3.41.

I bet you can always ask the store clerks when that PS3 came into the store. If I recall correctly firmware 3.50 was released on the 21 September 2010. Not sure, but I think so.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am pretty sure BestBuy or Target will have an old PS3 Slim bundle.

My BestBuy still have the uncharted bundle. Just look at big sellers that carry a lot of stock. Your bet bet is looking for one bundles.
ex: the Uncharted 2 one. Pretty sure the same goes for the God of War bundle

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what Ive heard on different forums the PS3 + Move bundles are at 3.40
An attempt was made to ID systems with the tags but it didnt work, sony learned from the PSP phat easy ID on the box.

Solution

ionmachines

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Alternatively, you can always BUY a PS3 from EBAY or some other online auction. That way you can ask the seller directly what FW version the machine is - right. I'm sure you can find one that is in MINT condition if you really want. The only advantage a brand NEW machine has over a USED machine is the fact that the DVD/BlueRay drive is unused. The moving parts in those drives are generally the first thing to go in most gaming devices - Other than overheating resulting in RROD or YLOD which is becoming less common in the newer revisions of XBOX360's & PS3's - Good Luck either way.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/ff1hgQb1qAU?si=tl3F_o8i9cG8e2D_ this is how you should emulate