Hacking What emulators do you think will be possible if the 3DS gets hacked?

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
When the 3DS is hacked, it would be great to see a SNES emulator.
That's the main thing I want. Hopefully, It can be at an "undistorted" screen resolution as well, along with the NES. I play both NES and SNES on my Android phone still (even though I can easily play them in my 3DS with my SuperCard DSTwo) simply because the screen looks perfect. Whereas on the 3DS, they look incredibly "smooshed" and distorted to me, no matter how I tweak the settings.

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im perfectly happy with the snes emulator on the dstwo i never tried one that dont use the dstwo extra chip thought
i think a genesis emulator is more important since the one for the ds crops the screen, which i really never understood since when genesis came out we only had 4;3 and no 16:9, so why cant it be on the ds 4:3 ration screen? when snes and tg-16 emulators can? they should have at least included an option in jenesis to have it be in 4:3 even if it does look smooshed

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone mentioned that it would be cool if they could get a Dreamcast emulator working on the 3DS? Because if not, it definitely would be cool if they could get a Dreamcast emulator working. And Maybe MAME that would be sweet.

TripleSMoon

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
That would be pretty cool (not to mention easy, as long as the hardware is powerful enough). I guess I never really cared much, since I never owned one and the only games that rly interested me were the Sonic Adventure games, Soul Calibur, and that one other fighting game (it was called "Powerstone" I think?)

TVL

#|
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Has anyone mentioned that it would be cool if they could get a Dreamcast emulator working on the 3DS? Because if not, it definitely would be cool if they could get a Dreamcast emulator working. And Maybe MAME that would be sweet.

I think nobody mentioned it because it would be impossible to make one that ran at playable speeds.

I would like to see a Virtual Boy emulator (no joke), I'd also like a Master System and Famicom emulator that put in support for their shutter 3D-glasses. I still feel Virtual Boy had better 3D than the 3DS, maybe it was just easier to distinguish and maybe some people can see 3D easier than others.

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you will NEVER see a dreamcast emulator on the 3ds, its way too powerfull a system to be emulated its comprable to a ps2

Reactions: 1 person

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you will NEVER see a dreamcast emulator on the 3ds, its way too powerfull a system to be emulated its comprable to a ps2
That's what I figured.
The following video is the DC failing on the PSP. It is worthy to note that it does eventually boot and attempt to run even on this low spec hardware. If optimised it would be touch and go on the 3DS.
!

spark1223

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(may seem like it has nothing to do with 3DS but give it a sec) Many people seem to miss the fact the PSP had an emulator for PSone before Sony made theirs. It wasn't good at all. It emulated few games. It was like Daedalus in it alpha stages but for PSX. Sony took 1 stab and made it nearly perfect in a short while. The 3DS COULD be capable of N64 emulation, we don't know. A dev who makes an emulator has to know alot about both systems to do it well. Obviously, Sony knows their own stuff so PSX on PSP came out very nicely.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(may seem like it has nothing to do with 3DS but give it a sec) Many people seem to miss the fact the PSP had an emulator for PSone before Sony made theirs. It wasn't good at all. It emulated few games. It was like Daedalus in it alpha stages but for PSX. Sony took 1 stab and made it nearly perfect in a short while. The 3DS COULD be capable of N64 emulation, we don't know. A dev who makes an emulator has to know alot about both systems to do it well. Obviously, Sony knows their own stuff so PSX on PSP came out very nicely.
The PSP can almost run N64 at playable speeds so of course the 3DS would run it ok.

spark1223

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PSP can run some [N64] games ok and some have to have sound off and other bit removed. However, the 3DS is more powerful, so should theoretically have a higher potential. It would be really nice if Nintendo would make virtual console n64 games (for 3DS) but I don't think that will happen (unfortunately).

Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want ultra64 (killer instinct 1&2 arcade emu) ported.
Likely won't happen though.
At most, I'd say n64. If that runs near perfect, then everything less powerful is possible.
Original ds had a couple 64 games ported, so I don't think the more powerful 3ds running a 64 emu is that far fetched.
Although I still don't see a hack happening soon if at all.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want ultra64 (killer instinct 1&2 arcade emu) ported.
Likely won't happen though.
At most, I'd say n64. If that runs near perfect, then everything less powerful is possible.
Original ds had a couple 64 games ported, so I don't think the more powerful 3ds running a 64 emu is that far fetched.
Although I still don't see a hack happening soon if at all.

Super Mario 64 DS wasn't a direct port; it had to be rewritten from scratch since the DS isn't powerful enough to emulate the N64, and had a somewhat higher polygon count (especially Bowser)

Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know Mario 64 wasn't emulated or a direct port, but still proves it can be done.(in a way)
The big question is; would games that required the expansion pak be doable?
Going by the general rule that a system should be 4x more powerful than the system being emulated for games to run well, I don't see Conker's Bad Fur Day running smoothly on 3DS. :(
Who knows though? We all may be pleasantly surprised.
It'll be a LONG time before we see any hack though.

TripleSMoon

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I know Mario 64 wasn't emulated or a direct port, but still proves it can be done.(in a way)
Going by the general rule that a system should be 4x more powerful than the system being emulated for games to run well, I don't see Conker's Bad Fur Day running smoothly on 3DS. :(
Well, I know that Majora's Mask just barely runs (and not even somewhat bug free) on my Android phone, which has a 1ghz processor. Granted, the 3DS is dual core, but I don't think dual core 256mhz is going to cut it. :(

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Well, I know that Majora's Mask just barely runs (and not even somewhat bug free) on my Android phone, which has a 1ghz processor. Granted, the 3DS is dual core, but I don't think dual core 256mhz is going to cut it. :(
The specs you're remembering are from a shitty IGN rumour. Two 256MHz ARM11 processors they said. This was never confirmed nor denied, and we still don't know the true specs. However, that's massively underclocked compared to stock ARM11. Still smells fake after all this time.

TripleSMoon

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
The specs you're remembering are from a shitty IGN rumour. Two 256MHz ARM11 processors they said. This was never confirmed nor denied, and we still don't know the true specs. However, that's massively underclocked compared to stock ARM11. Still smells fake after all this time.
Interesting... so is there no real info as to the processors at all? I'm surprised no one has just cracked one open to examine the actual physical processors and other components.

MyJoyConRunsHot

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
PS1: 33.8 Mhz 32-bit CPU, nameless GPU (effects: texture mapping, flat & gouraud shading, ect.), 2 MB main ram, 1 MB VRAM, can do 180K texture mapped and light sourced polygons per second.
N64: 93.7 Mhz 64-bit CPU, 62.5 Mhz RCP (effects: everything the PS1 did + bilinear filtering, mip mapping, anti-aliasing, environment mapping, ect.), 4 MB RDRAM (expendable to 8 MB via Expansion Pak), can do 100K polygons in N64 quality in Fast3D mode and 500 to 600K polygons in PS1 quality in Turbo3D mode

there you go if anyone has trouble comparing..
Those are prototype specs, not final 3ds product specs :glare:
P.S. ign is shit when it comes to specs and reviews

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/LM0Y6RWvcr8?si=RjMLNrx1TEX301g1 Already has cfw lol