Hardware What do you think about this laptop?

Joey Ravn

F*** you, Nintendo!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My mother's going to buy a new laptop within these weeks, but she's too stubborn to make her understand that she can get better deals for her money with other PCs... so, as she's determined to buy this one, I would like some technical advice about it. How well will it perform? Do you think it's worth the money? (I don't, but meh...)

Let's see:

HP DV6614
-Windows Vista Premium Edt.
-Intel Core 2 Duo T2310 @ 1.4Ghz
-Video card: Intel GMA X3100 "up to" (sic) 256MB (Integrated, isn't it?)
-2GB RAM
-120GB HDD @ 5400RPM
-Lightscribe DVD Burner (DVDRW +/-)
-6-in-1 card reader
-Wireless connection: 802.11 b/g WLAN
- 15.4'' WXGA
-Webcam + Mike + Remote

So, that's it. I don't think it's a good purchase for €999... At least, I've seen 'better' laptops for just a little more. I don't know much about hardware, but... AFAIK, the Intel Core 2 Duo processors are really good, aren't they? My PC, the one I'm writing from, has a 3.06GHz Intel Petium 4. How is the one in this laptop compared to the one I have?

Well, that's all. I know there are better deals out there, but my mother's buying a fridge in this same store, so adding up items would increase the payment facilities she'll be given.

Thanks in advance.

slvrdrgn123

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Should try to get a dedicated video card with it. Although I doubt she will be using it for much. As for Vista or XP is up to preference I guess. Personally I'm sticking with XP for another year or so til they work out more bugs in Vista. Other than that, specs are all good. Price wise, I'm not from Europe so I don't know the prices for laptops there, but here, you could find one similar for cheaper I believe.

Hit

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well Vista is real shit anybody i know immidiatly removes it and installs windows XP

This means you MUST you have no choice you MUST throw away about 129Euro which is way too much, microsoft must pay me much much much much cash if i ever would use windows vista

Windows vista:
Takes much
Does less

They say there security is good LMAO!
This is there security:
When you open an EXE it says "Do you really want to open this"
You should always choose yes otherwise you didn't click it
Stupid system

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
My mother's going to buy a new laptop within these weeks, but she's too stubborn to make her understand that she can get better deals for her money with other PCs... so, as she's determined to buy this one, I would like some technical advice about it. How well will it perform? Do you think it's worth the money? (I don't, but meh...)

Let's see:

HP DV6614
-Windows Vista Premium Edt.
-Intel Core 2 Duo T2310 @ 1.4Ghz
-Video card: Intel GMA X3100 "up to" (sic) 256MB (Integrated, isn't it?)
-2GB RAM
-120GB HDD @ 5400RPM
-Lightscribe DVD Burner (DVDRW +/-)
-6-in-1 card reader
-Wireless connection: 802.11 b/g WLAN
- 15.4'' WXGA
-Webcam + Mike + Remote

So, that's it. I don't think it's a good purchase for €999... At least, I've seen 'better' laptops for just a little more. I don't know much about hardware, but... AFAIK, the Intel Core 2 Duo processors are really good, aren't they? My PC, the one I'm writing from, has a 3.06GHz Intel Petium 4. How is the one in this laptop compared to the one I have?

Well, that's all. I know there are better deals out there, but my mother's buying a fridge in this same store, so adding up items would increase the payment facilities she'll be given.

Thanks in advance.

That's not a Core 2 Duo it's an original Core Duo, those get hotter and are not as good as the Core 2's. Personally for almost 2 grand that PC = crap.

James B.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well Vista is real shit anybody i know immidiatly removes it and installs windows XP

This means you MUST you have no choice you MUST throw away about 129Euro which is way too much, microsoft must pay me much much much much cash if i ever would use windows vista

Windows vista:
Takes much
Does less

They say there security is good LMAO!
This is there security:
When you open an EXE it says "Do you really want to open this"
You should always choose yes otherwise you didn't click it
Stupid system

ok.

I've thought about this for a long time. And I'm gonna say it.

I

Vista.

There. I said it, I'm dual booting XP and Vista, and I'm sure I'd like XP more if i did a clean install, but still Vista runs so much faster, and has way more options, plus a cleaner install dir.

Just thought I'd say that...

And wow, you're mom IS stubborn.

What is she planning to use it for?

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's a pretty good system, should be perfect for what your mum wants.

Just beware of the elite computer people that say everything sucks that's not top of the line
tongue.gif

Joey Ravn

F*** you, Nintendo!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yes, that is exactly what I was fearing: I'm being charged for the HP logo, not for the laptop itself. Cubin', I know what you mean: almost everything will be enough for my mother. But I don't want her to spend €1000 on this when she could be spending more or less the same on a way better PC.

But, what if we don't take into consideration 'gaming' PCs? Could you give me an accurate hypothetical performance of this laptop? I mean... how would it perform with Vista and that hardware setup, how good's the CPU (which is listed as Core 2 Duo, BTW... I just copied what the store had written), how will the integrated video card affect the RAM's performance and all that.

Thanks for the tips, guys
wink.gif

dakeyras

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
QUOTE said:
but still Vista runs so much faster,

Not for us mortals it doesn't. My father has the same setup only with a different videocard. Vista does not run for crap. Seriously, it is SO slow. I disabled all fancy functions..and it still feels so incredibly sluggish.

Does she get her money's worth? That also depends a lot on whether she feels she does. My parents are so stubborn that it does not matter that I tell em they're being ripped off as long as they still have a good feeling about it. Personally I think it seems decent for someone who does not want a lot of hassle. Just keep in mind vista can crack it like a walnut especially for someone who won't do a lot of maintenance on her computer.

edit: I should add that I'm biased cause I looked up how much euro's 999 dollars is..and it's not a lot these days.
tongue.gif

Joey Ravn

F*** you, Nintendo!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, after much arguing, I finally made her realise that laptop wasn't worth it. Now, and through the ICO (Instituto Oficial de Crédito - Official Credit Institution), we'll be trying to get a cheap loan (like €10/month without any taxes the first few years) and get a real laptop. The ICO gives us %100 of the PC's value, with a maximum of €3000, so that's far more than enough to get something 'decent'
wink.gif

I'll check with you guys later, when I've picked several models to compare. Thanks for the help a bunch
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.