Gaming What do you say about Monster Hunter?

Diamondred

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hello, everybody
you'll see, i have created this topic because i want to ask you about Monster Hunter: i tried Monster Hunter for PS2 long time ago and, by that time, i didn't like the game
but, a week ago, i played Monster Hunter Tri when i was with a friend and it got my attention, i liked it, and i'm thinking about getting Monster Hunter Tri G when it comes to Europe (if it gets localized), but i wanted to ask your opinions about the game

is it really good? does it worth it? could you tell me why it is that good? is it good for playing alone too (sometimes i prefer playing alone than WiFi)?

thanx for your attention

beenii

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Diamondred said:
(it's Monster Hunter, i'm sure it will get localized)

i wouldn't be so sure. the last big Monster Hunter (Monster Hunter 3rd Portable) didnt get a release outside of japan. Neither did its HD-version for the PS3. And although Frontier is a Xbox360 game, its wasnt made available, even in the US.
So far, all capcom said was, that there weren't any plans at all, to release MH3G on any western teritory. I doubt it will come, and if it does it will take a year, like TRI on wii.
I'm a huge fan and my suggestion would be, buy a cheap used PSP (down to 40-50 bucks) and play MH3rdP, the, in my opinion, best looking PSP-game. with that one you can even play online (multiplayer is an important part) with the use of a ps3 and its "ad-hoc party", or via a PC app called xLink Kai, which for now isn't possible with the 3DS. you still will find players there

zanfire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Diamondred said:
hello, everybody
you'll see, i have created this topic because i want to ask you about Monster Hunter: i tried Monster Hunter for PS2 long time ago and, by that time, i didn't like the game
but, a week ago, i played Monster Hunter Tri when i was with a friend and it got my attention, i liked it, and i'm thinking about getting Monster Hunter Tri G when it comes to Europe (it's Monster Hunter, i'm sure it will get localized), but i wanted to ask your opinions about the game

is it really good? does it worth it? could you tell me why it is that good? is it good for playing alone too (sometimes i prefer playing alone than WiFi)?

thanx for your attention

http://ds.ign.com/articles/119/1194892p1.html
that was a pretty good artical by someone at IGN that never played and got tossed into a demo of the game. It talks about how hard it can be to get into a game as deep and when you first start "uncomfortable" it might feel.

I got into it randomly when some friends played and ive been addicted since. Its so simple in terms of how it all works, but it has plenty of deep aspects to it, especially the combat, which might feel really weird at first, but it works so well in context of the game....its probably why they have been using a lot of the same weapons for all these years.

Its defnitly not for everyone and you have to have a LOT of patients with it...its not easy even when you master it. TRI was one of the easier ones to me so start their. As for playing alone it can be done and you get some satisfaction when you can do things alone, but its SOOO much more fun with friends you can talk to.

a couple quick notes: 1) the only versions that went online (not just local wifi) was the ps2 version (but the servers are gone) and the wii version. All others are local only, which always got to people....we would LOVE for it to be online on the handhelds for once...since they seem to ignore making the damn games on consoles.

2)It might not be localized...they held back more titles then you think. ATM we have 6 total games, 1 being a spin off....japan has 17, 5 i believe are mini game/spinoffs. Sadly they dont like to localize them. They dont sell like they do in japan, but they have never sold bad, so il never understand why not, especially a game that only takes changing of text and nothing more to send it over.

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Game_List

Diamondred

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i was thinking about what you said about "not getting localized" and, suddenly, a new news in this website appeared:
http://mynintendonews.com/2011/09/18/ninte...4-localization/

but that's not the topic here: i liked the opinions, i read the IGN article and i'm happy that someone like him (who was a newbie) liked the game, that makes the game more attractive to me

keep sending opinions

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
LTK said:
I never liked it honestly. I will try it on 3DS, but I feel like the motion is too slow and clunky.
You just lack skills
smile.gif
You dont move that fast in reality with those huge fatass weapon on ur hand do you
smile.gif
?

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I say is, we likely won't see the game outside of Japan until 2013 (if we're lucky). So, I'm not really thinking about it right now. When and if it comes out here to the States, I'll enjoy it. MH is an acquired taste, but it's a formula that works for its fan base. It has idiosyncrasies that you either accept or you don't, but they're good games for what they are.

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've owned every Monster Hunter (except Frontier) and if MH4 gets localized I will definitely buy a 3DS.
Well, that and when a new Pokemon main-series game comes out. I've never missed a generation, it will feel weird without knowing what's what. Same with MH. ^-^

is it really good?
Yes.

does it worth it?
Depends on your stance of "grinding". There's no exp. points but you basically grind for materials for better weapons. It takes time.

could you tell me why it is that good?
It's a long lasting game if you can get into it, and don't lose interest.
Playing online is really entertaining when people don't spam bombs and hit you with not-so-friendly fire.

is it good for playing alone too (sometimes i prefer playing alone than WiFi)?
The only MH game I played online was Tri for the Wii, so I'm perfectly happy playing solo. I do online quests after the Solo part of the game anyways.

Diamondred

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
machomuu said:
Diamondred said:
Um...
Do you want a ratio of how many MH games get translated and have been translated lately? You'd be surprised.

ok, ok, i got it, there are more games that i thought that haven't been localized, i'll change that in the main post
well, let's say: "if it gets localized, do you recommend it?"

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
Monster Hunter isn't a fast paced hack and slash game like everyone seems to think the first time they see the game. (I know I did)
You actually do have to grow along with your Hunter, starting from small time mushroom collector to Dragon Fighter.
laugh.gif

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
jan777 said:
Monster Hunter isn't a fast paced hack and slash game like everyone seems to think the first time they see the game. (I know I did)
You actually do have to grow along with your Hunter, starting from small time mushroom collector to Dragon Fighter.
laugh.gif
I went straight to the badass >,

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Diamondred said:
machomuu said:
Diamondred said:
Um...
Do you want a ratio of how many MH games get translated and have been translated lately? You'd be surprised.

ok, ok, i got it, there are more games that i thought that haven't been localized, i'll change that in the main post
well, let's say: "if it gets localized, do you recommend it?"
If you got the patience, I'd highly recommend it.

But one thing though, this game is not for everyone. You might want to try the PSP versions out.

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, I hate it. I can't stand Monster Hunter and I don't really get how anyone could, either. Y'can't say it's 'cause I don't like grinding, either, 'cause you don't get more grindy than Disgaea. It just seems like Monster Hunter is grinding for the sake of grinding, where there's no motivation or goal except to get to the next rank - an RPG without a story or even characters, so to speak.

zanfire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^ like people say, you either love it or hate it, but there is a reason it sells like a western call of duty.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
There ARE people (like the gamespot guy if I'm not wrong) who has his first go at Monster Hunter Tri (G, he was at TGS) and loved it at first sight.

For me, I simply love Monster Hunter because it's addictive once you got the hang of it, and multiplayer is immense. Different people have different views actually.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill