What are your favorite gaming experiences that are lost to time?

Takokeshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I don't remember there being anything you could unlock in ALttP through Four Swords on the GBA, and I totally did beat it wit a few of my friends way back in the day. I'm not saying that isn't the case, I just don't remember that doing anything.
You get access to Palace of the Four Swords after beating FS (maybe requires hero keys, not sure if only silver works.) Once you have 10 medals on FS you unlock a riddle quest that unlocks hurricane spin attack, and gives you statues in link's house.

Wolfy

Person That Never Was
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Niche game called RockShot that was on Steam, for the micro-transaction nature of the game, it was a hell of a lot of fun for the short couple of hours I got to play with friends. Reminded me of a much older game that kids at my local youth center used to play that was an offbrand shooter with rentable weapons.

Pretty sure it was from some random Chinese company that saw it wasn't very popular and axed it but I do still miss that game. Wish P2P was a thing for more games, also miss Scram but that's not quite dead.

Takokeshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I remember a SNES videogame from when I was a kid. It was a rental, some sort of shoot them up. I am pretty sure the game still exists. The reason it's lost to me is because I can't remember it. At this point it's such an old memory that I cannot recall anything about it aside from the genre and that it was set in space. I think you went from left to right, so like almost all other games in that genre. My mind gets kind of foggy the older I get. I've tried to look for it but I think even if I did find it at some point it's possible I couldn't recognize it. It has always bugged me because I have found every other game I played on the SNES. From really recognizable games like Sunset Riders to some obscure stuff like Pirates of black waters or the twisted tales of spike mcfang. I have come to accept that I will probably go the rest of my life without remembering it.
Gradius III?

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

do you remember other details for your movie? what language did they spe​

ak? How did they travel? Was it a serie or movie? Magic or time machine?​

Well, they spoke french, but it's probably irrelevant, since that was more than likely dubbed. I watched it on a french TV channel. The characters were mostly walking or horse riding, I believe. I remember the princess had an attitude. She was not playing the damsel in distress. It was not a serie, just a regular movie, but as I was saying, full length (between 90 and 120 minutes). And no time machine, as far as I recall. The story was taking place in medieval times, so probably some sword, bow and arrows involved.

Thanks for trying to help. Very appreciated!

Last edited by Dust2dust,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Believe it or not, AOL had some pretty solid games back in the day. I remember one was like an RTS in a snowy setting, another was a paintball FPS. They were multiplayer-only and I have no idea how much of the games were stored locally, so I'm guessing they're lost to time forever.

kite21

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I can really relate to that. But not for a video game in my case. For the longest time, I tried to remember the name of a full length (about 90 minutes) animated movie from the 80's, that I saw on TV back then. I know it was a european movie, but I don't know which country. The story was involving a princess and a normal guy on a journey trying to get back to her kingdom in mediaval times. Or something like that. I've searched for hours lists of animated movies from that era, to no avail. Frustrating! I'm sure I could watch it or download it somewhere, if only I knew the name. :cry:
That happened to me too. But it was a cartoon, I eventually found it, it was called Wunschpunsch. But in that case I remembered more stuff about it. The intro song (which did include the name but not the spelling) and more importantly the fact that it aired on fox kids. So I looked for a list of shows on fox kids during the early 2000's and found it there. If you can remember the channel maybe you can look for listings on TV guide or something.

kite21

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Gradius III?
It's a good guess as any. I mean I do remember a part in which there was some sort of dirt or soil in the background. Might as well be sand from the sand level.

Edit: Looking at screenshots, it could be, some levels have ground in them. Although I remember the spaceship being bigger, but that my just be my faulty memory.

Last edited by kite21,

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you can remember the channel maybe you can look for listings on TV guide or something.
It was a general all-audiences channel, not a special kid channel. I'd have to be lucky to find old TV Guides of the 80's online, and even if I did, the work would just begin... 520 guides to check (the whole decade). Needle in a haystack. :O Thanks for the suggestion, though. I need to find an exhaustive list of animated movies of the 80's, especially european releases. Even better if they have screenshots... I'm sure I'd recognize the princess.

Reactions: kite21

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It wasn't something I did all that regularly, but I would say playing arcade games in actual arcades and the excitement of seeing the new titles pop up.

Reactions: binkinator

mrmagicm

Trophies
XP
Country
France

mrmagicm

Trophies
XP
Country
France

kite21 very few descriptions of your game...maybe thunder spirit or darius twin, Phalanx, biometal, super earth defense, SD Kidou Senshi Gundam,Spriggan Powered....I'd say the first.​

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Dust2dust maybe the movie could be Les Couloirs du temps : Les Visiteurs, or might be "princess bride", time freak, black knight, Bill and ted's excellent adventure, Au coeur du temps (time travel), Prisonniers du temps(2003), Prince of Persia: The sand of time....was the princess beautiful or ugly? whas it 80's or years 2000 movie? what decade? What was the knight wearing? I think it the first one I said.​

I appreciate your efforts. After checking, It doesn't look like any of the movies you mentioned. The movie is an animated feature, and not live action (flesh and bones actors). In other words, it's a cartoon. I saw it in the 80's, and I believe it was recent then, so more than likely an 80's movie. There was no time travel involved, as far as I recall. It was probably about 90 minutes in length. And yes, the princess was beautiful, as was the norm back then. The normal stereotype wants a beautiful princess and an ugly witch. (no witch in that movie, though, as far as I remember). Thanks for the suggestions you mentioned.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@kite21 maybe it's U.N. Squadron, as that's the only title that springs to my mind for the SNES that hasn't been mentioned yet. It's more of a "ground / Earth's atmosphere shooter" than a "space shooter" though.

As for my own addition to the thread, the old web browser game of Outwar.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Pokémon Dream World, that was a fun service that I miss and also kind of important for to carry over data from Black/White to B2/W2. Also Join Avenue in B2/W2, which needs GTS to work properly.

• Love
Reactions: Sworly

Sworly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pokémon Dream World, that was a fun service that I miss and also kind of important for to carry over data from Black/White to B2/W2. Also Join Avenue in B2/W2, which needs GTS to work properly.
I second that; Gen V had the best online/PC features, I remember how much fun the Dream World site was, and it was mindblowing seeing stuff/Pokémon collected on the site shown in the games after transferring

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto