WEP and WPA?

Discussion in 'NDS - Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection' started by mbcrazed, Dec 29, 2012.

Dec 29, 2012

WEP and WPA? by mbcrazed at 8:02 PM (2,292 Views / 0 Likes) 21 Comments

mbcrazed New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Why can't The DSL Support WPA Again? Is it because it sucks?

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Message Count:
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Yeah, the DS is eight years old, and it was relatively cheap hardware when it came out too (the PSP, for example, is a little later, but multiple times as powerful).

The reason DS games can't use WPA or above even in newer systems (DSi, 3DS) is because the ARM7 binary of each game actually handles the Wifi instead of the system itself handling it... and those binaries only support WEP, so even though the hardware is there, the logic is not.

Theoretically it might be possible to have a sort of wrapper/proxy on the system (like on the 3DS), but they haven't bothered.

mbcrazed New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Okay, can you modify the game at all to make it WPA? Change the games code by hacking?

Tom Gbatemp's Unofficial Modder

Message Count:
    United States
    Better off just changing your router to WEP although very easy to hack

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Message Count:
    United States
    The issue is even if you did manage to somehow re-write the ARM7 binary to do WPA as well as still taking care of sound creation and game saving, ROMs still run in DS-mode (meaning they're locked into WEP) outside of the iEvo, but the iEvo doesn't have WiFi ability in DSi-mode anyways...

Just change your router's security or buy a DS connection dongle, that's the only way you will get older games online.

mbcrazed New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I just really wanted wi fi for dream world in Pokemon Black 2, but Thanks for all your information! It helped me a lot!
    • Newcomer

TheTitan New Member

Message Count:
    Brazil
    I bought a USB Wi-fi connector in my country, about 5U$, it works both as Wi-Fi client, and a Access Point, since I only have a desktop, I share my cable connection with this usb device using a Ralink Software to create a Wep connection, works fine for me, even to play online games like Mario Kart, or to use Pokemon Dream World.

mbcrazed New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I'll look into it! Thanks for the suggestion!~

LockeCole_101629 New Member

Message Count:
    New Zealand
    My suggestion is
    keep your old router, save your money

Forget WPE, WPA, WPA2 or any encrypted protection

Don't broadcast your AP, use MAC address filtering
    Only you will be able to access your AP, and only you will be able to add something to use your AP.

mbcrazed New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Well, My family has had WPA for a while, and I'm pretty sure my brother won't let me change it!

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Message Count:
    United States
    Which will mean their data is flying around unencrypted and can be sniffed by local people.

MAC addresses are in the frame headers, which means it's easy for somebody to sniff an in-use MAC (especially without any encryption), then make their machine use that MAC instead of it's own (MAC addres spoofing).

That's not secure at all. People should be on WPA or WPA2 if they want any measure of security.

Message Count:
    New Zealand
    indeed, but unfortunately it won't solve his problem
    I was assuming he manage his own internet connection.

the other way is using multiple ssid with 1 router, and only router which have compability with DD-WRT firmware to do that (I don't know if there's any router by having this feature with default firmware, I only use WRT54GL for this past 7 years)
    but then again... I don't think he's brother willing to do it either way.

So yeah, probably dongle is the best solution for him.

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Message Count:
    United States
    Just buy a mini-USB Wifi adapter for PC and setup a WEP access point and put it in bridge mode. That'll work.

caribou007 New Member

Message Count:
    Canada
    I still have my old Linksys WRT-54G, although, the built-in wireless and ethernet on my ISP's new modem is much faster, so I use that now instead. For security, I will stay with WPA2. However, I got an idea. Would it be viable for me to plug my WRT-54G into one of the new modem's ethernet ports and have it broadcast in WEP with MAC address filtering? If so, how secure would it be?

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Message Count:
    United States
    Well if set up so that it works, it would stop people that hack into the WEP network from getting at your other machines, but they'd still be able to leech internet access.

caribou007 New Member

Message Count:
    Canada
    That was my main concern, actually, (not the hacking, since I don't think I have much to fear from occupants in the few neighboring houses). Will it work?

Message Count:
    New Zealand
    ofcourse it will
    just set your IP router just in case it has same address like your new router

and fill those basic setting with the same number on 1st router.
    if you using dhcp, set your range number higher or lower.
    or again... just use MAC adress filter.

caribou007 New Member

Message Count:
    Canada
    Heyo....Well, I just dug out my old Linksys WRT-54G, powered it and reset it to factory settings, but I'm stumped as to the next step. How do I access it's private IPv4 network address? Private IPv4 network address....that's a mouth full! Did I get it right? The configuration address, you know.

I know how to access the other router's setup (It's a Cisco....let's name him Commander Sisko!) - 192.168.0.1.

And should I connect the Ethernet cable from Commander Sisko's LAN port to the Linksys' Internet port or one of it's LAN ports?

nl255 New Member

Message Count:
    I just have my old WRT54g running DD-WRT set up as an AP only with WEP/MAC filtering which I only turn on when I want to play a DS game. I use my E3000 (again with DD-WRT) with WPA2/AES for regular Internet issues. Oh, and the PSP does not support WPA2 with AES (I don't use WPA1 or TKIP because they are almost as bad as WEP).

caribou007 New Member

Message Count:
    Canada
    I got it working. No time to explain- Mario Kart!
    Last edited by caribou007, Feb 13, 2013. Reason: Thank you everyone

SPONSORED LINKS