Gaming WARNING: Ban wave has started, STAY AWAY FROM LIVE!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First thanks pesaroso for that quote.

I am however now curious about the changes at the system level and if indeed it is worth backing up nand now before potential bans (I doubt efuses will be blown and version numbers bumped and as data is unchanged and as such still signed........). The stuff to do this is trivial really.

I base this on the fact that even if we lack the ability for homebrew proper we can still mess with region changing and the like if we have console specific keys, I then posit that as the only need for keys is resigning and if we have a pre ban dump well I am sure you can see where things are going here.
Naturally you could not get back on live but it seems bans now carry a penalty worth noting beyond the no live thing this might be worthwhile exploring....

Just a note on switching innards assuming a twist on return fraud is something you are cool with, any posts on how the filth or rent a filth are now after you will be laughed at by everyone who reads them and by similar token any future background checks may be able to skip over minor stuff but we are flirting with the big leagues here:

Remember HDMI did not always exist and faking it at an inspection level is probably outside most of your skillsets seen as it is on the bottom and the chunky "original" cable is now on top. The man in the shop may or may not be an avid gamer and more importantly can not be counted on to be stupid or inattentive (you probably count yourself and your associates among the brighter members of society; how many of you have done shop work for whatever reason over the last few years or as you were coming up?).

Did you pay with traceable debit/credit card for live*?

*RROD/e74 + your favourite auction/selling site or possibly strangers on a train if you are feeling risky.

Usual rules apply:

Cash or otherwise untraceable currency and try not to get it out of the machine on the way to the shop.

You are a useless storyteller and an even worse conman so do not try it/keep it simple.

Several towns over if you can.

Fake address (foreclosures, available rental properties and stuff on the market is good if you can not talk your way out of a collision- my [insert known person] lives there.....) and fake ID if necessary.

Any fool can look up car plates (I assure you walmart have investigators on retainer and then calling up a friend looking for plates is easy enough, the chains are not chains but franchises which seriously localises things)- public transport is good.

Never same the con twice.

If it is done and you do not need to talk about it much less on the internet.

You lose the ability to go into that shop and preferably chain (doubt me: I have countless examples of pub landlords recognising people the barred some 20 years on for relatively minor offences and this is the difference between spotty teenager and 40 something- that $150 is the difference between a target and not).

Do not expect return on investment to be 100% (it will probably cost you do to this, similarly it might be worth getting a pro rather than an arcade) and so on and so on.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was banned today
cry.gif

All my games were checked via agbx360 and have never played a title before release date...

*Sigh*
frown.gif

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So all games I play after I get banned, and if I bother to get a new 360, I switch my HDD over to that one and my profile will become corrupt right? So what if I make a different profile and play using that then switch, will both be corrupt or the one that I played with after ban? (This is a console ban btw) Cause I'm getting really confused and everyone keeps saying different things.

SkankyYankee

GBAtemp Advanced Skank
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 said:
triassic911 said:
Joe88 said:
once the 360 is banned, any gamertag logged in on it will corrupt if you try to move it back, so you have to recover it
so you cant earn any achievements
But I just played cod4 on my friends xbox last night. I moved my gamertag with my cod4 save file and everything worked.

theres something wrong then or the 360 wasnt banned

any save you loaded and saved too will corrupt
any profile you sign into will corrupt

if you do not sign into an account and have not touched any saved games it will not affect it

MS went even as far to corrupt any themes you are using

QUOTE(SkankyYankee @ Nov 7 2009, 05:46 PM)
so now that our 360s are banned can we now play copies unverified on the banned box or is there a chance they can ban the tag as well?
nope
since you have to recover the tag to get it back
it wont show any game you played on the banned system
you might aw well make a random GT on the banned system and play games since it doesnt matter
your just going through more trouble moving the gamertag, and recovering it and settings everything back up again

Cool, thanks. And if i end up getting a legit arcade and recovering the gamertag is that box safe from any bans?

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rock Raiyu said:
So all games I play after I get banned, and if I bother to get a new 360, I switch my HDD over to that one and my profile will become corrupt right? So what if I make a different profile and play using that then switch, will both be corrupt or the one that I played with after ban? (This is a console ban btw) Cause I'm getting really confused and everyone keeps saying different things.
yea, as long as you never logged into the account after the ban, it will load fine on unbanned 360

QUOTE(SkankyYankee @ Nov 7 2009, 08:34 PM) Cool, thanks. And if i end up getting a legit arcade and recovering the gamertag is that box safe from any bans?

pretty much the 360 is safe as long as you dont do something MS doesnt like which is including hardware mods (like fan volt mods and such), hard drive spoofing (as far as I know they havnt been able to detect this yet, but you never know), drive spoofing

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
The only reason I'm afraid of getting banned is because I don't want to lose the ability to play XBLA games. I couldn't care less about playing games online with other people (except maybe L4D2...) Too bad there's no way to download XBLA games from the 'net and play them :\

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Guys, if you play a game and save AFTER getting banned, the save will become corrupt. I tried playing my gta4 save at my friends house not too long ago and it was corrupt along with my gamertag.... It seems anything edited after the ban will become corrupt. I'm not playing my 360 until I get a new one.

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 said:
Rock Raiyu said:
yea, as long as you never logged into the account after the ban, it will load fine on unbanned 360

Ok, no gaming on that account then. Made a new account for Tekken and MW2
smile.gif
Thanks.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, let's say I logged into Live last in September, and haven't touched the console since, much less had it plugged into the network. Everything is on my hard drive already, and that's been unplugged since long before the ban wave started. Suppose, though, that during this period the Xbox gets banned from Live. I assume my Live profile and thus Live Arcade games, saves, etc. will show up as corrupted if I plug the drive into another console, since the profile was associated with the Xbox that got banned?

I'm really hoping that this isn't the case, or better that I don't get banned at all. The thing only got flashed in August, and if any backups were played on it they were played by the guy who fixed and flashed the box, so I'm really hoping to fall under Microsoft's radar on this one. I can't check, though, because now it's in for repairs with the same guy again.

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Uh... So if I'm not banned yet and I'm not THAT interested in playing online matches or leaderboards then unplugging the internet cable from my 360 should keep it safe from corrupting tags/saves or whatever side effects getting banned will bring onto me?

I know the question is confusing, basically "does the corruption and stuff happen because the console behaves differently after receiving "banned" info from Live?"

If so, I just have to visit a friend periodically to update my achievements and stuff.

But you know... curiosity kills the cat, I'd one day randomly decide to go on Live to see if I'm still not banned and end up getting banned lol.

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey guys i was wondering so if i unplugged my internet thing that connects to xbox live and stay off live until ban wave cools down, i wont get banned right even though im playing games with a flashed xbox 360 offline.

PanzerWF

Trophies
Website
zetta.l4rge.com
XP
Country
Canada
8561 said:
hey guys i was wondering so if i unplugged my internet thing that connects to xbox live and stay off live until ban wave cools down, i wont get banned right even though im playing games with a flashed xbox 360 offline.

As long as you never ever connect to Live, I believe so.

Otherwise, any time you connect to Live, there is a chance that you will be banned since one of the 360's chips does exchange information with Microsoft.

Cocytean

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just got banned. I don't think it matters how long you lurk offline - my ban message was instantaneous the moment I logged onto Live, and I've been hiding from it for a good month. It must be some kind of tag they put on your account somewhere along the way - when you log in, the tag is activated and you get the full force of the ban hammer.

I'm a bit disappointed, but not too bothered. I still have stacks of games to play, and it's not like I can't play them offline in the future anyway. Guess I'll save £30 a year on Live fees!
biggrin.gif

Sefi

Trophies
XP
Country
Look at it this way. Now you can play stuff early as you want (even review copies), patch games to other waves instead of waiting for another firmware, hell you probably will never have to update the firmware again.

I haven't been banned yet, but since I rarely use live much anyways I'm going to self-ban myself and just not connect to live again. Microsoft won't get the satisfaction of banning me
smile.gif

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
deathfisaro said:
Uh... So if I'm not banned yet and I'm not THAT interested in playing online matches or leaderboards then unplugging the internet cable from my 360 should keep it safe from corrupting tags/saves or whatever side effects getting banned will bring onto me?

I know the question is confusing, basically "does the corruption and stuff happen because the console behaves differently after receiving "banned" info from Live?"

If so, I just have to visit a friend periodically to update my achievements and stuff.

But you know... curiosity kills the cat, I'd one day randomly decide to go on Live to see if I'm still not banned and end up getting banned lol.
It doesn't matter how long you're offline for. My 360 had been offline for months, and I just attempted to sign in yesterday and it wouldn't let me. Once your console is tagged as banned on their servers, there's no way around it no matter how long you keep offline for.

Willemoke

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I just got banned yesterday, really odd though, was in a party with friends, just bought dj hero, put in the origional disc and BAM, disconnected from live.
I've only been playing stealth patched games... And i've only flashed my xbox 2 weeks ago...

pesaroso

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
One quick question.. I haven't played much x360, and I've always checked stealth etc.

I unhooked my 360 from Live last friday, when the first rumors floated the web. I have no idea whatsoever if my x360 is flagged, but I can still install games etc, so it's not banned - yet!

Now, am I to understand that since it's the console and not the actual gamer profile that is getting flagged, can I just keep my 360 offline forever, and just sign-in using my gamertag once in a while at a friend to update gamerscore etc? Or will the gamertag be assosiated with my flagged xbox and get corrupted anyway?

Can I kinda find ouf if my xbox is banned by signing in at another friend? I don't dare hooking my xbox to the net just yet.. :3

martin88

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
deathfisaro said:

Yes that is correct.

If your 360 is flagged for ban but you have not logged in to receive the ban message, your 360 can still earn achievements and update gamerscore on xbl by swapping the HDD to a legit 360.

In other words, an offline-360-flagged-for-ban is better than a 360-with-confirmed-ban.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6igvB1yR04A