OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi all,

i have a problem with my new computer. When playing games like counter strike and battlefield 2 the videocard crashes randomly.

At least i think it is a videocard problem.

When playing a game computer freezes... only think that works is a hard reset.

system:
Code:
ÂÂÂÂProcessor
ÂÂÂÂIntel Core i5-750, 2.66 GHz
300 watt power supplyÂÂÂÂ
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂMemory
ÂÂÂÂInternal memory: 6144 MB
ÂÂÂÂInternal memory type: DDR3 SDRAM
ÂÂÂÂStorage media
ÂÂÂÂCard reader integrated
ÂÂÂÂDisk drive
ÂÂÂÂTotal storage capacity: 1500 GB
ÂÂÂÂHard disk interface: Serial ATA
ÂÂÂÂHard disk rotational speed: 5400 RPM
ÂÂÂÂVideo
ÂÂÂÂGraphic adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GT230
ÂÂÂÂDedicated video memory: 1535 MB
ÂÂÂÂIntegrated video adapter
ÂÂÂÂAudio
ÂÂÂÂAudio system: High Definition Audio 7.1

motherboard at the moment unknown....

So what do you guys think.... why does it crash? Is it a power supply issue? How can i check this? Is it a driver issue? I updated the videocard drivers to the latest ones available from nvidea. Is it a temperature isue from the videocard? i know it gets warm, but i cant check it directly after the crash because i have to restart my computer.... so videocard can all ready be cooled down to acceptable temperatures.

ps. i dont get a blue screen.

liquidnumb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not up to date on parts since a couple years ago, but your power supply is a lot smaller than I'm used to seeing. Your video adapter doesn't sound like the power hungry type, but have you checked the amp requirements? And how many amps/rails on your power supply?

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I used to have this same problem, games used to freeze (hard-lock my PC) and only hard reset would work, so I ran some virus scans and had 5 infections (using ESET Nod32) but didn't fix the problem, and then I downloaded PC Doc Pro, a registry cleaner app, after running it and scanning, the results were : 1564 registry key errors, after fixing those, my game problems were completely gone.

EDIT: Just to let you know, my CS game used to freeze (also these online games:- GunZ, Flyff and DOMO) on these specs and ppl would tell me its your PC:-
GPU: Pentium 4 3.0Ghz single core
RAM: DDR1 512mb
VideoCard: 256mb ATi Radeon Xpress 200 Series
Power Supply: 350W

I would get answers from ppl like -> "heat up problem", "weak power supply" but after running PC Doc Pro, it fixed all my game issues. It's worth a shot.

You know, the funniest error I had was in Flyff, the monsters would appear as barcodes, I really thought it was a video card error, but PC Doc Pro fixed that too.

Master_B

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
liquidnumb said:
I'm not up to date on parts since a couple years ago, but your power supply is a lot smaller than I'm used to seeing. Your video adapter doesn't sound like the power hungry type, but have you checked the amp requirements? And how many amps/rails on your power supply?

True its a very small power supply. Did not build the computer myself, what i normally do... the deal was too good
wink.gif
I dont know much about amp and rails..... do you know where i could find them? Do i have to look into my computer or can everest work?

QUOTEI used to have this same problem, games used to freeze (hard-lock my PC) and only hard reset would work, so I ran some virus scans and had 5 infections (using ESET Nod32) but didn't fix the problem, and then I downloaded PC Doc Pro, a registry cleaner app, after running it and scanning, the results were : 1564 registry key errors, after fixing those, my game problems were completely gone.

EDIT: Just to let you know, my CS game used to freeze (also these online games:- GunZ, Flyff and DOMO) on these specs and ppl would tell me its your PC:-
GPU: Pentium 4 3.0Ghz single core
RAM: DDR1 512mb
VideoCard: 256mb ATi Radeon Xpress 200 Series
Power Supply: 350W

I would get answers from ppl like -> "heat up problem", "weak power supply" but after running PC Doc Pro, it fixed all my game issues. It's worth a shot.

You know, the funniest error I had was in Flyff, the monsters would appear as barcodes, I really thought it was a video card error, but PC Doc Pro fixed that too.

hmm, going to try it, but dont think this will work. Computer is about 2 weeks old and dont have had the time to go much on internet = not a lot of spyware. But.... as said... at the moment i am downloading the program and will try it.

Thanx for the reply guys. ps. hope you can help me out with the amp/rails story.

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Hopefully you're downloading the other way, so you get full version, anyways hopefully it fixes your problem, I know it fixed mine. Good luck.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hm, I can't say that 300W is a lot, so you'd still be better getting at least a 500W one.

Doesn't sound like a temperature issue, it's not like GF230 hot up that much.

Try to grab a program like BurnInTest and then do a through test of your VideoCard. If it's a temperature issue, it'll freeze.

Master_B

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
well.... i am back... downloaded burnin test and pc doc pro... unfortunately it contained a virus and i had to format my pc :S

Master_B

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
well.... i am back... downloaded burnin test and pc doc pro... unfortunately it contained a virus and i had to format my pc :S

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I recommend against nearly-mentioned illegal methods. Nothing beats owning the games, especially since CounterStrike is so cheap these days, and Battlefield is good enough to be worth paying for.

If you ignore the above line, try using a good Anti-Virus program. Then you'll be able to use it and get rid of any virus before it can do anything. Also, you should try a stress test on your CPU. The last time a PC crashed when playing certain games, it turned out that the CPU was faulty and would crash whenever it reached 90% stress. CPUs normally last over an hour at 100% (although it'll wear down if it's stressed for too long).

Master_B

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I do have a antivirus program
shy.gif
... only it it said i was downloading a virus.... i thought it was the crack so i turned the virusscan off
hate2.gif
.... unfortunately the crack was not the virus, but the setup file of the program
frown.gif

Could you recommend a stress test program? going to give the following a try:
ntune (nvidea)
prime95
3dmark

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Master_B said:
I do have a antivirus program
shy.gif
... only it it said i was downloading a virus.... i thought it was the crack so i turned the virusscan off
hate2.gif
.... unfortunately the crack was not the virus, but the setup file of the program
frown.gif

Could you recommend a stress test program? going to give the following a try:
ntune (nvidea)
prime95
3dmark
For CPU, Linx or Prime95 (most people say Linx stresses harder but most use Prime95 anyway) and for GPU, use Furmark.

Linx: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=201670
Prime95: http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/
Furmark: http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Master_B

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I tested the system with: prime95 --> no errors.
Furmark --> No problems.... heat was ~88°C of the videocard and it did not give any problems.

hmm, well.... going to try it again and hope it chashes not that often anymore
frown.gif

thanx for all the help guys.... if it happens again i will let you know

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Originality said:
I recommend against nearly-mentioned illegal methods. Nothing beats owning the games, especially since CounterStrike is so cheap these days, and Battlefield is good enough to be worth paying for.
Umm, mister if you are indirectly pointing at me then get this, I wasn't providing him with nearly-mentioned illegal methods to DOWNLOAD games, I was just nearly-mentioning illegal methods to download a full cracked program of PC Doc Pro, btw @TC -unless you scan and fix registry errors with a cracked PC Doc Pro, and confirm that the crashes still remain I won't be able to provide extra help. OR you could just buy PC Doc Pro really.

Sometimes problems are just so small that we refuse to accept these mere facts and go for the big methods, I ain't saying PC Doc Pro will surely fix the problem, but it did fix my crashing issues, and oh, my cousin bought a PC last year and he complained about crashing games the next week, so I gave him this program and it fixed it, I'm not forcing you to download it, it's your PC, so your choice.

Registry Key errors, corrupted dlls, empty keys, Com ActiveX, all these and much more may also appear even if you don't have any virus, these errors are there in every clean installed Windows.

Master_B

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
SamAsh07 said:
Originality said:
Umm, mister if you are indirectly pointing at me then get this, I wasn't providing him with nearly-mentioned illegal methods to DOWNLOAD games, I was just nearly-mentioning illegal methods to download a full cracked program of PC Doc Pro, btw @TC -unless you scan and fix registry errors with a cracked PC Doc Pro, and confirm that the crashes still remain I won't be able to provide extra help. OR you could just buy PC Doc Pro really.

Sometimes problems are just so small that we refuse to accept these mere facts and go for the big methods, I ain't saying PC Doc Pro will surely fix the problem, but it did fix my crashing issues, and oh, my cousin bought a PC last year and he complained about crashing games the next week, so I gave him this program and it fixed it, I'm not forcing you to download it, it's your PC, so your choice.

Registry Key errors, corrupted dlls, empty keys, Com ActiveX, all these and much more may also appear even if you don't have any virus, these errors are there in every clean installed Windows.

i understood
biggrin.gif
... but did not find a "good" version of pc doc pro yet.... but i keep looking the coming time and when i find it i will try it out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    bassviolet @ bassviolet: uwu