Homebrew VC injections (on firmwares up to 10.1)

Cornholio309

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Out of curiosity, other than for novelty sake, is there any reason to do the VC injections now other than to have a more "authentic" feel for playing emulated games?

Retroarch's 3DS port, despite being a work in progress, can now emulate most NES and Game Boy titles at full speed without really breaking a sweat. I believe the same applies to an Original 3DS (XL). It also offers multiple save states as opposed to the one "Restore Point" Nintendo gives us, multiple screen sizes, and some more consoles to emulate that also run at full speed provided you have a New 3DS or a kernel exploit.

What benefits does VC injection have? I'm curious now since a new injection method for my firmware is popping up. The only benefit I see is that this emulator is that this is Nintendo's official emulator, and there's no vertical screen tearing for pretty much every game (I think this is still present in the NES emulators Retroarch offers but I could very well be wrong).

Not trying to bash the efforts of whoever found the most recent exploit and this is still pretty neat, but I'm just curious if this offers any major benefits over using Retroarch's emulators which seem slightly more convenient to use.

Reactions: Deleted-236924

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Out of curiosity, other than for novelty sake, is there any reason to do the VC injections now other than to have a more "authentic" feel for playing emulated games?

Retroarch's 3DS port, despite being a work in progress, can now emulate most NES and Game Boy titles at full speed without really breaking a sweat. I believe the same applies to an Original 3DS (XL). It also offers multiple save states as opposed to the one "Restore Point" Nintendo gives us, multiple screen sizes, and some more consoles to emulate that also run at full speed provided you have a New 3DS or a kernel exploit.

What benefits does VC injection have? I'm curious now since a new injection method for my firmware is popping up. The only benefit I see is that this emulator is that this is Nintendo's official emulator, and there's no vertical screen tearing for pretty much every game (I think this is still present in the NES emulators Retroarch offers but I could very well be wrong).

Not trying to bash the efforts of whoever found the most recent exploit and this is still pretty neat, but I'm just curious if this offers any major benefits over using Retroarch's emulators which seem slightly more convenient to use.

Sleep Mode for the most part

Reactions: Cornholio309

Cornholio309

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Oh yeah, there is sleep mode. Good point!

Thankfully Ninjhax 2.5 will be fixing that issue soon, but at the moment I can see playing NES and GameBoy games being more beneficial through this method (provided you don't mind the less screen options and one save state).

jaksy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sleep mode will be in hax 2.5, so that point is a bit moot upon release.

I see it's main advantage being alternate compatibility.
I have no idea how the VC handles the majority of roms, but seeing it run Shantae I'd guess it handles those end of life cycle gbc games well.

There are quite a few of those GBC games that give me trouble in retroarch cores and gameyob producing a variety of heavy graphical glitches. I'd be curious to put them through the VC and see if they run any better.

Cornholio309

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are quite a few of those GBC games that give me trouble in retroarch cores and gameyob producing a variety of heavy graphical glitches. I'd be curious to put them through the VC and see if they run any better.

Out of curiosity (again), what games are you trying to emulate? I've only tried the Japanese Game Boy Color release of Donkey Kong Land 3 and that seems to have worked okay.

jaksy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Out of curiosity (again), what games are you trying to emulate? I've only tried the Japanese Game Boy Color release of Donkey Kong Land 3 and that seems to have worked okay.
Off the top of my head Conker's Pocket Tales and Looney Tunes Collector: Alert! were both giving me trouble.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can I host the files on my own site without a DNS?

And can I only use 32KB ROMs?

That, and I haven't been able to get it (or the regular Browserhax, either, for a matter of fact) working at all. I'm hosting the files for this on my own site and they won't boot - it crashes back to Home and when I reset the VC, the same old ROM is there. Tried with Super Mario Land and a Game Boy game, and Link's Awaking DX and Pokemon Red GBC version.

Is there a specific way/place to tap the slider?

Red9419

Trophies
XP
Country
That, and I haven't been able to get it (or the regular Browserhax, either, for a matter of fact) working at all. I'm hosting the files for this on my own site and they won't boot - it crashes back to Home and when I reset the VC, the same old ROM is there. Tried with Super Mario Land and a Game Boy game, and Link's Awaking DX and Pokemon Red GBC version.

Is there a specific way/place to tap the slider?
Your Roms are over 32kb IIRC they are about 1000kb+. And for future reference they must be called rom.gbc (without the extension) and at the root of the SD card

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your Roms are over 32kb IIRC they are about 1000kb+. And for future reference they must be called rom.gbc (without the extension) and at the root of the SD card
Is the 32kb a requirement?

And the files are named rom.gbc. What do you mean by "without the extension"? Should they be called rom.gbc.gbc?

Red9419

Trophies
XP
Country
Is the 32kb a requirement?

And the files are named rom.gbc. What do you mean by "without the extension"? Should they be called rom.gbc.gbc?
Not sure if it is a requirement. Try Tetris on the GB since its 32kb exactly. And sorry for confusion just rom.gbc not rom.gbc.gbc

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if it is a requirement. Try Tetris on the GB since its 32kb exactly. And sorry for confusion just rom.gbc not rom.gbc.gbc
No luck there - tried Tetris over Donkey Kong Game Boy with no luck, and a homebrew Q*Bert remake (~18KB) over Link's Awakening, no luck either.

Red9419

Trophies
XP
Country
No luck there - tried Tetris over Donkey Kong Game Boy with no luck, and a homebrew Q*Bert remake (~18KB) over Link's Awakening, no luck either.
Not sure what to say then. Guess we have to wait for Shutterbug to test and make a full release for VCInject. Unless someone finds a way to make this work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?