Hacking Using an SSD, or SSHD vs an HDD with USB Loader GX / Nintendont: Any benefits?

grcd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So, I just want to ask a question that I have not been able to find information on elsewhere. I know that the Wii USB interface is 2.0 which limits speeds at 25-30 MB/s write and 30-40 MB/s read. Obviously any kind of SSD (or even SSHD, when it uses the NAND cache/flash part) will be bottlenecked on the Wii. However, would such a device, in theory, permit for a more consistent transfer read rate at the USB2.0 limit? Also, would it help with random seek times, and/or games that are continuously streaming data from the disk (whether Gamecube or Wii)?

In other words, will there be any speed benefits, loading-wise or performance-wise, from using an SSD and/or an SSHD? I know that Nintendont already speeds up loading times and improves gameplay for Gamecube games on the Wii, but this seems to be related to the CPU being unlocked to Wii speeds, rather than data transfers being improved.

Has anyone tried it? I already have both a regular 5200rpm HDD, as well as an SSHD (Momentus XT, 3rd gen) and an SSD ( Kingston SSDNOW 300) that I could test with. I am happy to do the tests myself and report results, but if it has been done already it will save me time from trying. Since I have these laying around unused, it would make sense to use the one that optimizes/boosts game performance, if any of them do.

Draxikor

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm not sure if there is a considerable speed up, i see tests like this in other consoles (PS3 and Wii U) but only reduce the load times up to 1-3 seconds but in gameplay is the same, and this consoles are more powerful than the Wii so am not sure if using a SSD will improve that much the reading an writing times.

Reactions: jeannotte

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HDD's are typically faster than USB 2.0, even at 5200 RPMs. Also using a 2TB vs 1TB will generally be faster sit uses denser platters.

Keep in mind that the GameCube and Wii Optical Disc drives are much slower than USB 2.0 at less than 16MB/s if the drive is 12x.

Last edited by ccfman2004,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I just use cheap USB 2.0 flash stick drives from Walmart for my Wii. No ridiculous price, the speeds max out the USB 2.0 specs, and I don't have to worry about any power draw or drive sleeping issues.

Reactions: DinohScene

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just use cheap USB 2.0 flash stick drives from Walmart for my Wii. No ridiculous price, the speeds max out the USB 2.0 specs, and I don't have to worry about any power draw or drive sleeping issues.
I would avoid USB flash drives, especially with Nintendont as they are known to cause issues. SD Card with USB Reader is a much better solution.

Reactions: jeannotte and Jayro

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I would avoid USB flash drives, especially with Nintendont as they are known to cause issues. SD Card with USB Reader is a much better solution.
I have yet to experience any issues with the ONN brand USB sticks, or the Sandisk cruzer drives. And they're cheap enough to replace if I need to, but I haven't had to replace one yet.

grcd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I wanted to let people know that I actually did try this. I now use a cheap (relatively speaking) 512GB SSD (a Sandisk Ultra) and I was able to compare loading times between a traditional HDD (5200 RPM) and a SSHD (an old Seagate SSHD with 8GB flash). Are the differences huge? No. But initial game loading time is improved (the SSHD will load games 1-2 seconds faster than an HDD; the SSD will load the games 1-2 seconds faster than the SSHD, giving it an overall advantage of 3-4 seconds overall). Past the initial game loading, advantages become quickly diminished. Games that have long loading times will still load up faster on the SSD. Is it 'worth' it? In my case, I had this one as a spare lying around, so absolutely, yes. But I wouldn't buy an SSD just to save 3-4 seconds of loading times.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: (not my chat status, my actual forum title, such as "Well-known user")