Hacking USBLoader for Gamecube games?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Milecar12 said:
I have an idea, to make everything possible, but I think it would mean serious hacking... If the homebrew team could make a GC loader, that kinda has a code that ENABLES the USB ports in gamecube mode (like changing usb=false to usb=true) it could be possible. The thing is when changing it, it means seriously changing the Wii. Now I'm concerned if you do this that the Wii may brick forever. If Nintendo has some tech that detects that the Wii is messed around, they could release an update, that may do some shit that, in Wii mode, It disables the usb port that is capable od reading the HDDs. Now I know what I say is a bunch of BS, but maybe, just maybe, someone could discover a point of vulnerability in GC mode that could use like the disc exploit. Just sayin'.
*sigh*

The real issue is that the matter is too complex for the average user (who can barely distinguish a boolean from an int) to understand just WHY it's not existing*. So the technical stuff gets watered down, simplified or downright ignored by people. So the easy-to-grok mantra of "there is no USB GC loader because the GC didn't have USB ports" is not the truth but a pathetic attempt to summarize a complex situation.

So...get in line. There are about a hundred people before you who had the exact same idea. Your predecessors didn't knew much about programming either, but perhaps one of them can inform you that there is no "the homebrew team" that does all the work.

*I admit it: I can remember the real reason at best five minutes after reading it (it has far too much technical stuff in it that I don't understand). After that, I can only say "it doesn't exist because everyone who actually know what they're talking about say it's too complex".

cjewe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE(Milecar12 @ Jul 16 2011, 04:49 PM)
I have an idea, to make everything possible, but I think it would mean serious hacking... If the homebrew team could make a GC loader, that kinda has a code that ENABLES the USB ports in gamecube mode (like changing usb=false to usb=true) it could be possible. The thing is when changing it, it means seriously changing the Wii. Now I'm concerned if you do this that the Wii may brick forever. If Nintendo has some tech that detects that the Wii is messed around, they could release an update, that may do some shit that, in Wii mode, It disables the usb port that is capable od reading the HDDs. Now I know what I say is a bunch of BS, but maybe, just maybe, someone could discover a point of vulnerability in GC mode that could use like the disc exploit. Just sayin'.

*sigh*

The real issue is that the matter is too complex for the average user (who can barely distinguish a boolean from an int) to understand just WHY it's not existing...

OK, the problem with the change usb=false to usb=true is that the mios on the wii is coded exactly like it was on the gamecube, therefore there would not be that option. What someone would have to do would code the mios from scratch. This is the easiest way, but the game would run slower due to extra hardware the mios was meant to handle. a better decision would be to edit IOS249 to load the mios with it as a virtual iso. Since Waninkoko found out how to load games from a custom wii ios, then he could create a custom ios with ported mios code.

edit: it's not the hardest thing poeple have done. dvdx was the same way. it was harder to code, trust me i had to look up certain parts of the code(normally I don,t have to.) .it used to be a hardware hack, then a software hack, now it's non-existant. It could be the same way with the gc custom mois.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Nice going for a first post: necrobumping a thread that's half a year old, praising someone who hasn't been in the wii scene for well over a year and spilling technical mumbo jumbo that makes no sense whatsoever. Code the MIOS from scratch? Load the MIOS as a virtual ISO?

WTF, man? Is this supposed to be a joke?

Click This

Surgite!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice going for a first post: necrobumping a thread that's half a year old, praising someone who hasn't been in the wii scene for well over a year and spilling technical mumbo jumbo that makes no sense whatsoever. Code the MIOS from scratch? Load the MIOS as a virtual ISO?

The thread's been necro'd enough in its lifetime. Circa 2009 thread.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

Actually DIOS MIOS was intended to replace the arm code from BC and MIOS to 100%. But now it only replaces the arm code from MIOS and contains extra code to undo gamecube mode hardware limitations. But if people don't understand that (the original) MIOS do not work like IOS, their "help" won't result in any progress.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Wait :unsure::unsure::unsure: Is that Scarface reincarnated? 😱