Hacking USB Loader GX not loading games 4.3e

Rybags

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Its been a long time since I was last back here and I'm glad to see there still exists a Wii modding community!

To also elaborate, I modded an old wii quite a while back now before d2x, using WAD Manager and trucha bug exploit and everything was great with my Backup Loader (until I made a hash of DIOS MIOS and my Wii eventually dying).

After recently acquiring a Wii for cheap, I went about modding again except this time I see that with Menu Version 4.3, there was a different path to follow. After using the letterbomb technique and having the latest version of Homebrew, I followed this guide that claims to bypass the need for the trucha bug.

Everything appears to work, I can launch USB Loader GX (latest revision I know of) and it sees my games. However it does not see the artwork that has been put there by the backup manager on my PC and cannot pull the menu animation either. When I choose to play any game I get rebooted back to Homebrew.

I have tried different formats (except wbfs as it is old hat). I have tried using d2x v8 final as well as v10 mentioned in the guide above and I have also tried restoring the trucha bug with no luck. As a final step I tried the Hermes IOS, the installer had a problem installing the WAD files it found online so I used NUSC to download them and the installer would complain of a bad hash (the wads were in their correct directory which actually differs from the Hermes guide).

I have since reverted everything back to the first guide, hoping it is something silly that I have missed. I know the Wii is an old console now and more effort is focused on the WiiU these days, but if anybody has had a similar problem and found a solution I would be most grateful.

Many thanks people, happy modding!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The artwork
The path and folders created by the game manager (I suppose WiiBackupManager) are probably not the same location than USBLoaderGX is expected them.
either :
- place the covers in usbloader_gx/images/3D/ etc.
there are a folder for each cover type
or
- Go to setting>user paths> point the cover path to the location where you have your pictures
or
- just press the 1 (or 2?) button on your Wiimote and choose "download covers". let the loader download them for you.

Menu animation:
You mean the banner animation that the System menu displays when inserting the game into the disc drive?
if you don't see these animation, it's usually because the ISO are bad.

Reboot:
The console reboot, or return to HBC/System menu if the game can't be mounted, or the cIOS is not present, or the HDD is not found, etc. (main meaning : Game can't be accessed!)
Probably because your ISO are bad.

please be sure you check and install your ISO to your HDD with WiiBackupManager (if you are on Windows), or Wiitgui (if on mac/linux)

Rybags

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the reply Cyan.

My ISO's have been scrubbed to wbfs correctly and are exactly the same files as they were 3 years ago when they worked on my previously modded Wii.

d2x installer shows the correct Cios's being installed to 249 and 250, both times I allowed the installer to find the WADs and the second time I used NUSC to apply them manually.

Syscheck shows Cios's installed to 249 and 250 correctly with USB 2.0 support etc, any other ideas?

P.S Yes I did mean banner animation :)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
try older version of the loader (start from official release 3.0)

3.0 release is revision 1180. this is a know working version for most users. you should try this one first.
latest revision is 1246, maybe it has memory issues.

But I'm pretty sure the issue is ISO related.
either the ISO is bad, or the HDD can't be accessed correctly.

try other loaders. Wiiflow can display animated banners too.
If wiiflow doesn't work either, there's an issue in your files.
if wiiflow work, then it's USBLoaderGX side.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Looks like Link's Awakening was metaphorical.