Hacking USB Loader GX HD corruption

dippyx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
To the pros out there:

Simple question - Is it quite a common for USB Loader GX to corrupt the partitions on your USB HD?

I softmodded my Wii last week (it's also hard modded).

I have new compatible USB Drive (Buffalo HD-PV500U2 ).

I create a FAT32 partition for config and a WBFS partition for games. Used USB Loader GX to rip the games - done about 20. All games working ok. I then rip another one. It works OK. Then some of the games that used to work stop working - black screen at launch. Some will work past the white Nintendo wiimote warning screen then black screen. So I delete these games and rip them again and all ok. I am now up to about 40 games and all OK. I then rip some more - and again some of the previous games stop working.

So I read up and see alot of people saying that WBFS is quite easyily corruptable. So I reformat my drive as one big NTFS partition, with WBFS folder for games and Config folder for USB Loader GX all on the same partition. I ripped about 37 games to the USB drive using Wii Backup Manager. Everything working well.

Via USB Loader GX I downloaded the covers/2d/3d/disc and downloaded and changed a theme. Tried a test game. All OK. Switched off Wii and plugged my HD back into computer to rip some more games. My computer now asks If I want to reformat the drive/there is no partition there. Disk Manager in Windows is reporting it as RAW. So basically the NTFS partition is fubar again.

I'm now on my third attempt. This time a FAT32 partition for config and a NTFS for the games. My hope is the if USB GX Loader corrupts anything it would just be the FAT32 partition as it only reads from the NTFS (I will rip from my PC).

Has anyone got any better ideas on what the setup should be? Do all loaders (eg Wiiflow/CFG loader) corrupt the sameway or is it just USB Loader GX?

Would switching to IOS249 rev21 make things more stable? (Im on 20 at the moment).

Any other tips or hints would be appreciated!

Thanks

Dip

Kittymat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have never had any loader (GX is my prefered but have used CFG and wiiFlow) corrupt the HDD to raw.

I have had the problem of some other games corrupting when ripping a new game from the Wii to the HDD with a WBFS partition. I however only use one Fat32 partition (saves issues with partitions being the wrong size).

What revision of GX are you running and what cios's did you install when softmodding

dippyx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

I used Modmii last fri night to take my machine from PAL 3.2 to Pal 4.1 and installed everything it recommended (BootMii, Preloader, IOS's etc).

I'm currently using 249 rev 20 to run all games and USB Loaader GX 2.

Thanks

Dip

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
dippyx said:
Do all loaders (eg Wiiflow/CFG loader) corrupt the sameway or is it just USB Loader GX?
This question (and parts of the rest of your thread) assume that it is GX that corrupts your hard disk. I highly doubt that. There are lots of factors to be taken into account (your USB ports on both the PC and the wii, the internal of the hard drive, static electricity, a faulty drive) that can cause that. GX is indeed a factor...but thus far, most (if not all) reports of partitions crashing had to do with other factors than the used loader. Especially considering what you did with that loader (common copy-paste jobs of game iso's), I can assure you it is certainly not caused by GX.

skrewd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this is a stale thread (8 years stale) but this has happened to me twice. Both times were due to me forcing the console to power off after I got a blackscreen from a game (which was probably a bad dump).
Before my HDs were corrupted, other games worked fine. I was simply going through the process of checking which games worked and which ones didn't. When I came across a game that blackscreened, I'd turn off the console and try again.
Both times my HD got corrupted were after the third consecutive blackscreen. My HD won't mount to my computer, and therefore it won't format.

My question is, how do I prevent this? Obviously I need to try to boot the game to tell if it works. But if I get a blackscreen, what am I supposed to do to save my USB?

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this is a stale thread (8 years stale) but this has happened to me twice. Both times were due to me forcing the console to power off after I got a blackscreen from a game (which was probably a bad dump).
Before my HDs were corrupted, other games worked fine. I was simply going through the process of checking which games worked and which ones didn't. When I came across a game that blackscreened, I'd turn off the console and try again.
Both times my HD got corrupted were after the third consecutive blackscreen. My HD won't mount to my computer, and therefore it won't format.

My question is, how do I prevent this? Obviously I need to try to boot the game to tell if it works. But if I get a blackscreen, what am I supposed to do to save my USB?

Is it a flash drive? Chances are that's the problem... or you're using an old version.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: hello