• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

US troops withdrawal from Afghanistan

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
He was doing precisely the opposite of what previous administrations were doing - using honey instead of vinegar. Whether that's a worthwhile endeavour or not remains to be tested considering we only tried that for 4 years. 4 years of relative peace, mind, but hey.
"Peace" my ass, the Trump administration made no effort whatsoever to avoid civilian casualties in the Middle East, and back in the US he was encouraging police brutality throughout his entire term. Not to mention how much time he spent on Twitter as a keyboard warrior in the asinine culture wars. Here's where I'd typically speculate about him being a foreign agent/asset whose sole purpose was to weaken and divide America as much as possible, but at this point, we no longer need to speculate about that, do we?

Reactions: Dakitten

Dakitten

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The withdrawal was Biden's decision and a complete failure, I can agree it may have not met a subjective standard of Neutrality but it was hardly unreasonable enough to warrant that degree of hostility. Valwinz may post often but his content isn't any where outside of the norm of partisanship of what others post.
By all means, comrade, do share some examples. We're all waiting ~
:wub:

Reactions: Xzi

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
"Peace" my ass, the Trump administration made no effort whatsoever to avoid civilian casualties in the Middle East, and back in the US he was encouraging police brutality throughout his entire term. Not to mention how much time he spent on Twitter as a keyboard warrior in the asinine culture wars. Here's where I'd typically speculate about him being a foreign agent/asset whose sole purpose was to weaken and divide America as much as possible, but at this point, we no longer need to speculate about that, do we?
Considering the fact that you manufactured that conclusion by making Olympic-level logical leaps we kinda do, but in all fairness, I have no interest in doing so.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Someone managed to get the title changed to this thread into something not even reflecting the original point of the OP?

I can understand the original title was probably not the most eloquent but to change its meaning entirely, Isn't that a form of censorship?

Obviously the site operator is free to do what he wants, and censor anything. Did not realize pointing certain things out, even though true could be a suspendable offense here. Or result in something being altered to a point of losing original meaning to meet the comfort levels of some.

Is me even discussing this fact a suspendable offense?

I looked at https://gbatemp.net/help/terms

And the rules I see listed that deals with topics that could be considered applicable are:

Please make the topic title you are creating descriptive, clearly reflecting the topic you are addressing.

And then: Stay on topic; posts that do not may be removed. If you wish to discuss a different subject take it to the proper thread.

I mean half the people arguing the other side are/were not staying on topic this entire time. Only by changing the thread title could they then be considered on topic.
Pay attention, this keeps getting posted:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/announcement-concerning-thread-titles.589800/
https://gbatemp.net/threads/disclaimer-read-this-before-posting.493895/

upload_2021-8-19_12-22-54.png

DoubleDate

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I find it kinda a hypocrisy that people cannot say what are in their minds regarding the whole situation. Looks like people need to praise Biden or you get a warning and told ro keep your Trump messages out of here. I guess that the people in here no matter how hard Biden make a cluster colossal mess and keeps failing the ones in here would gladly accept it like its nothing.

I understand that posting many twitter messages may be kind of an offend to others, but seems like that in here its is talk about Biden or pack it and leave. I guess that how it is, i understand. I just pray that Biden just make the best decisions for the country and the world because i really really trully dont want to see people get hurt by his wrong making decisions.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I find it kinda a hypocrisy that people cannot say what are in their minds regarding the whole situation. Looks like people need to praise Biden or you get a warning and told ro keep your Trump messages out of here. I guess that the people in here no matter how hard Biden make a cluster colossal mess and keeps failing the ones in here would gladly accept it like its nothing.

I understand that posting many twitter messages may be kind of an offend to others, but seems like that in here its is talk about Biden or pack it and leave. I guess that how it is, i understand. I just pray that Biden just make the best decisions for the country and the world because i really really trully dont want to see people get hurt by his wrong making decisions.
This place is for civil discussions. There's no room for insults, defamation, false news, etc. Which is what some of the suspended users have been doing.
We need safeguards to prevent this place from turning into propaganda boards for either side.
You can absolutely post what's on your mind as long as you respect those rules. Just look at all the threads in this forum and tell me again you can't post your opinion? We are extremely lax in the content we allow (this thread is still open, have you noticed?) but there's got to be rules.
We can't force you to be fair and biased because pretty much nobody is, but we can abide by our rules and try to keep this place as civil as possible. Troublemakers are not welcome and will be ejected.

If you think this is one-sided and pro-left, you're dead wrong. For example, we've done the same with Xzi's blatantly pro-left threads not long ago.

Last edited by Costello,

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good on you, mods.

I am a member of a handful of other forums, and there seems to be a pattern of them all sliding downhill into toxic, politically fuelled messes like this over the past year or so. Just as was done here now, most of them have had to put in place rules/restrictions to get things back in line.

I do not envy your position - by doing this, you fall right into line with the "censorship" narrative that is being thrown around a lot lately. But at the same time, thank you very much for taking the steps that are necessary to keep things in order. Seriously. Stuff like this has sucked all joy out of this site for me since it always comes up to the top of the "recent posts" list.

I recognize that I am very liberally biased, but I will also say that many of the issues we are facing nowadays are very nuanced, and that there is opportunity for awesome and serious discussion for solutions from all viewpoints. But that doesn't give anyone the right to make personal attacks, be angry, hateful, and agressive, or just be, in general, a toxic dickhead. If you're an asshole, it won't matter if you're right, no one will want you around. Learn to present your viewpoints in a respectful and non-inflammatory manner, and we will all benefit from it.

Seriously though, I am so sick of this shit. So glad to start seeing it getting the banhammer. Thanks again mods.

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Always glad to see the removal of people who are allergic to reason and critical thinking and instead worship twitter and youtube as reliable news sources.

There's plenty to criticize with the current administration but what those two did was just sad.

BitMasterPlus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it's a good thing the mods aren't biased or anything.

This place is for civil discussions. There's no room for insults, defamation, false news, etc. Which is what some of the suspended users have been doing.
We need safeguards to prevent this place from turning into propaganda boards for either side.
You can absolutely post what's on your mind as long as you respect those rules. Just look at all the threads in this forum and tell me again you can't post your opinion? We are extremely lax in the content we allow (this thread is still open, have you noticed?) but there's got to be rules.
We can't force you to be fair and biased because pretty much nobody is, but we can abide by our rules and try to keep this place as civil as possible. Troublemakers are not welcome and will be ejected.

If you think this is one-sided and pro-left, you're dead wrong. For example, we've done the same with Xzi's blatantly pro-left threads not long ago.
Either you haven't read some of the posts of the other side due to ignoring them or not caring or because if it's not reported you can't be bothered or be everywhere at once. And let's be real, you expect people to be civil and respectful when it comes to politics? Really? The two things people will argue to the literal death on their views point: Politics and religion. I don't care how non-partisan one claims to be, you can always never have a civil discussion when it comes to these two topics. It's like throwing a match in a room full of gun power, spilt gasoline, and dynamite and expecting nothing to go off.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, it's a good thing the mods aren't biased or anything.

Either you haven't read some of the posts of the other side due to ignoring them or not caring or because if it's not reported you can't be bothered or be everywhere at once. And let's be real, you expect people to be civil and respectful when it comes to politics? Really? The two things people will argue to the literal death on their views point: Politics and religion. I don't care how non-partisan one claims to be, you can always never have a civil discussion when it comes to these two topics. It's like throwing a match in a room full of gun power, spilt gasoline, and dynamite and expecting nothing to go off.
Maybe you can't but there are plenty of people who can, and do, have civilised discussions on pretty much any topic.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Maybe you can't but there are plenty of people who can, and do, have civilised discussions on pretty much any topic.
In general we're perfectly happy with anyone holding any position as long as said position isn't in violation of our code of conduct (this usually implies discrimination based on inmate characteristics, health or disability etc.) - both sides are welcome as long as there are no hostilities. A cheeky joke now and then is perfectly acceptable, but the posts, particularly the OP's, have to fulfill four major conditions:
  1. They have to be truthfully labelled, so no spin zone allowed
  2. If they're aimed at presenting an issue in a discussion, they have to be unbiased. This happened there at that time is an easy format. Personal opinion can be attached below the main body, but there has to be a clear delineation between fact and opinion
  3. If you are presenting a fact and portraying it as such, it has to be supported by a source link - educational institutions, medical establishments, newspapers and media sites are acceptable, to name a few. If you declare something as fact, but cannot support it, you've effectively said nothing, so backing up your claims makes for a better discussion
  4. They have to be polite and within the boundaries of our ToS, which means no trolling, no derogatory terms, no spam
These rules are very simple and give everyone plenty of breathing room. Any post that doesn't follow them should be reported on sight so that our staff can discuss how to proceed. Keep in mind that not every report will always go your way - we're a free speech loving community and we often make concessions for posts that perhaps might be walking the line between acceptable and unacceptable conduct if they're clearly a joke, for instance. Just don't make it a habit - my personal rule is "everybody gets one slip-up", take any verbal warnings seriously because you'll only get one of those.

I hope that illuminates the issue a little bit. Every mod is different, we're people too, so some of us might react to certain things differently than others, but we're usually in agreement on how those rules apply, and we do our best to apply them fairly.

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I agree we should be able to all have civilized discussions.

I get the impression he is suggesting there is a perceived double standard. I myself believe I have witnessed it here in this thread and others.

Heck I have even had responses to myself by "Global Moderators" that were combative and making unfounded allegations towards me in this forum.

It sounds to me one side (1 person my guess) reports and squawks the most here so the squeaky wheel gets the oil I suppose.

The perceived double standard, in this thread, comes from the weird quirk that the thread was made with a sensationalized headline and then just beat that horse with equally sensationalized twitter messages without nuance while the "other side" was busy debunking everything by providing desperately needed context, nuance, and actual news.

Someone screaming at the top of their lungs that their least favorite president is solely responsible for 20 years of fuck ups because he was made to pull out the rusty knives previous presidents have stabbed into Afghanistan, then trying to back that up with demonstrably wrong twitter messages is neither "fair" nor "civil" by any stretch of the definition.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For ones that like to blame msm often for anyone going against their narrative, they sure like to post Twitter a lot.

Some people admitting that they don't actual care and going as far as to praise the Taliban (which isn't even "America First" in any sense), it is hard to believe that they are arguing in good faith.

DoubleDate

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I dont agree with how some mods are "reviewing" this place. It seems like someone make a report and then the mods goes doesnt even care to read the other messages to make a good judgement. Some of the persons here say rules are rules yet the people going againt Biden are grilled and they need to shut up or else get a warning or a possible suspension.

I do see the difference. If i call correctly there were some here going on personal attack spree mode, a few messages back one of the Biden defenders said things let we say that are not civilized, and yet the mods doesnt even flip about that.

Its seems clear that this place is a Biden only place, if you mention anything about Trump then probably you will get reported. Shame actaually, because if you are looking at the news you see how Biden doesn't even care about the whole thing. He even said that even if Trump didn't make a deal he wouldve done the same thing what happened the last days. Shame on him, lots of people will die and people here are defending his actions. A 14 year old girl was killed who had dreams to live a normal life and be free from the tiranny at the hand of those extremist. Shame on Biden and his failure of administration. He need to resign or fire a lot and restart his whole administration. God help us the next 3 years.

Last edited by DoubleDate,
Reactions: BitMasterPlus

Dakitten

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont agree with how some mods are "reviewing" this place. It seems like someone make a report and then the mods goes doesnt even care to read the other messages to make a good judgement. Some of the persons here say rules are rules yet the people going againt Biden are grilled and they need to shut up or else get a warning or a possible suspension.

I do see the difference. If i call correctly there were some here going on personal attack spree mode, a few messages back one of the Biden defenders said things let we say that are not civilized, and yet the mods doesnt even flip about that.

Its seems clear that this place is a Biden only place, if you mention anything about Trump then probably you will get reporter. Shame actaually, because if you are looking at the news you see how Biden doesn't even care about the whole thing. He even said even if Trump did make a deal he wouldve done the same thing what happened the last days. Shame on him, lots of people will die and people here are defending his actions. A 14 year old girl was killed who had dreams ro live a normal life and be free from the tiranny at the hand of those extremist. Shame on Biden and his failure of administration. He need to resign or fire a a lot and restart his whole administration. God help us the next 3 years.
This virtue signaling is disgusting. A 14 year old girl in a country you don't live in dies, and that is sad, but 14 year old girls die here all the time from preventable causes, such as lack of shelter and food, sex trafficking and drug exposure, and good old fashioned desperation and suicide. The United States does not produce democracy panacea like a mythical beast, and our presence does not guarantee betterment for a region. If you want to see changes in the region, it has to be done via a unified international community, unless you want for the country to start colonization again.

Reactions: KingVamp

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Arne214 @ Arne214: Hi i was wondering where i can download a fresh istall for the mii maker on wii u (EU). The...