Hacking UPDATING Outdated Games on 4.1.0

jimmyj

Official founder of altariaism. Copyright jimmyj
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, if my following question was answered, but my english is bad, so it's hard to read all the posts.

I have buyed Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Interesting: My Switch was not connected to the internet, but if I start the game the first time, it says that there is an update. WTF?!

So I connected my Switch to the internet, but if I want to update the game, it says that I have to update the system-firmware first.
I have no second Switch. Is there an other way to update games? Is it possible to manipulate a DNS Server which is blocking system-updates, but tells the Nintendo Servers, that the update request comes from a Switch with firmware 5.0.1?
That's what I want too

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Enough with the discussions about the previous topic. It was locked because the OP didn't provide any proof and now he/she has provided just that.

Any further discussion about the previous topic or OP's intentions will be considered off-topic and will be deleted.

BvanBart

Gaming addict #2 and some
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sorry, if my following question was answered, but my english is bad, so it's hard to read all the posts.

I have buyed Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Interesting: My Switch was not connected to the internet, but if I start the game the first time, it says that there is an update. WTF?!

So I connected my Switch to the internet, but if I want to update the game, it says that I have to update the system-firmware first.
I have no second Switch. Is there an other way to update games? Is it possible to manipulate a DNS Server which is blocking system-updates, but tells the Nintendo Servers, that the update request comes from a Switch with firmware 5.0.1?

No there is not. The whole discussion from this post was that you need 2 Switches to exchange the update ;).

Reactions: Subtle Demise
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Theoretically you could set up a proxy server like we had for the PS3, but Nintendo would be able to block it within the week like Sony did.

There's also the fact that different updates may be signed for higher FW versions amd won't run on an outdated Switch.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
.. and wont run on outdated firmwares.

Spoofing wont solve this.

If you can use emunand, it might be possible, for as long as N doesnt ban those systems (if they can detect them).
Or, you know, custom bootloader

As long as you have a reliable bootloader entry point staying below a certain firmware is pointless

m_babble

Elder Phantom
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn, at least offer some constructive criticism.

You're right.
I was salty because not everyone can afford a second Switch or has immediate access to one through other people.
Thanks for calling me out and giving me an opportunity to reflect.

I appreciate your discovery, OP.
I'm glad some people will benefit from it.

Memfis

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you can use emunand, it might be possible, for as long as N doesnt ban those systems (if they can detect them).
I have no problem to be ban from online gaming, because I dont realy use this. The only problem can be if Nintendo ban me from the eShop, but if they dont want my money I can also go to "bad websites" (if you understand). So it would be extrem silly if Nintendo ban me from eShop.

(I want CFW to use what I want on MY Switch, not to use pirate things, but if they force me...)

Last edited by Memfis,

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jeez, this forum man.

Yesterday some of you were calling bullshit and attacking this dude. Y'all were telling him it wasn't possible and he was lying. Then he goes and posts a legitimate method and some of those same people almost immediately say this method is useless and even go on to try and prove that OP didn't come up with it in the first place.

The method might not be useful to you but that doesn't mean it's not useful to everyone and regardless of who discovered it first it works and it will allow some users to do something that they could not before, something that's been sought after for a while.

And you guys wonder why people are reluctant to share discoveries here, maybe it's because y'all get pissy when people say they might have found something (saying prove it or fuck off) then y'all get pissy again when they post it (saying it's useless).

I reckon Nintendo forgot the FW check in 5.0.x, inb4 5.1 in a few days to fix this issue. More stability incoming.

The OP didn't discover anything. It's a feature of the system. He pretended that he discovered some secret method of updating games on less than current FW .Then he teased of upcoming videos on his YT channel and encouraged people to subscribe for the latest developments. He acted like he needed to do more testing even though there was nothing to test. He said it wasn't ready for release even though there was nothing to release. Furthermore, had he searched the forums he would have known that it's not a secret that the match version feature works on consoles with different firmware. Hell, for all we know he may have been aware of this fact. He could have still used his rouse for self promotion despite this.

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Welp, if you live in the US. Just go to Gamestop, buy a used Switch, if you get a good firmware, swap the tablets. Return the Switch with your 5.0.0 tablet, and keep the good firmware tablet. You get your money back at the end, so it doesn't really cost anything, but your time. :P
:ohnoes:

This is fraud. Well trained clerks would check the serial number of return with the record. And Gamestop requires fingerprint on return as well so even if you somehow slipped past the check at the store on some poor guys/gals; you may risk a chance of eventually get turned in.
Gamestop employees tend to not give a fuck, and will probably just try and turn it on, and see if it powers on. lol
Just because they don't care, it doesn't eliminate the chance of you eventually get caught. For example: because they don't care they may drop the console when they put it back in the backroom. Then while trying to throughout check it again before selling, they may end up spotting the switcheroo. What is worse for you is they can push the claim that you swap a broken Switch in and you can't just argue about merely making a mistake!

Last edited by tivu100,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm summing this up real quick.

Far too many greasy people.

My intentions were to help others and yous argue. Come on now.

As for people continuesly claiming they discovered this first I've heard you countless times obv you want some recognition.

I reached out to some developers, I even wanted to hold off, provided some pics and a video, saying I may release my same findings today. Mind you I was being attacked and still am.

Think what you'd want ok.

I am a father, a family man. I put aside time with my child to speak with yours on the forum. People are not respectful especially on GBA greedy pigs sorry but it's true.

I'm a victim of a hit and run. My car was totalled. My family sustained injuries. I'm recovering as we speak and you'd attack me.

I go out of my way to help yours for what.

Enough with the attacks. I wanted to wait on releasing the info and my findings. I did not bait and switch my method was not fake.

I did not lye.

How about a simple thank you.

Read through the comments more complaints then anything.

The moderators on GBA are crap step it up.

And if I keep being personally attacked I'm done I'll report you.

Some of the things you people have said is disgusting and if you had been in person saying those things you'd be locked up or knocked out.

I have no time to waste on this shit.

I have a car to replace, need to recover from my injuries and the accident and look out for my family.

People have no heart, would you poke fun at someone in a wheelchair, what if it was your parent. If you can't be respectful your nothing to me.

Seeing as I did not eat yesterday and slept barely 3 hours I got NO TIME FOR ANY OF THIS.

I need waders. It's getting deeper.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4
D

Deleted-442439

:ohnoes:

This is fraud. Well trained clerks would check the serial number of return with the record. And Gamestop requires fingerprint on return as well so even if you somehow slipped past the check at the store on some poor guys/gals; you may risk a chance of eventually get turned in.

Just because they don't care, it doesn't eliminate the chance of you eventually get caught. For example: because they don't care they may drop the console when they put it back in the backroom. Then while trying to throughout check it again before selling, they may end up spotting the switcheroo

Well even if you did get caught I am sure you could just act like you made a "honest" mistake, and they would let it slip through or just cancel the return.

NEO-BAHAMUT-

Trophies
XP
Country
I agree. I’m not saying it’s the best solution but if you have a friend who isn’t bothered about updating then use them to update your games. I do feel that when we do see custom firmware then there will be a work around for this.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
He acted like he needed to do more testing even though there was nothing to test. He said it wasn't ready for release even though there was nothing to release.
You have a point there.. :)

Any further discussion [...] of OP's intentions will be considered off-topic and will be deleted.
Not a big fan of griefing either - but please acknowledge that the purpose of this thread has changed throughout the day, now the main purpose should be to prevent people from trying to do this without the prior knowledge, that this could update their system firmware, if they are not careful.

It will be hard doing that, by not adressing OP's intentions, while the first posting still promotes, what a great method this is, how many games this will work with, and insits - that this work will get updated, as new "results" are made.

Please try to think of the ramifications this will have on the community.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree. I’m not saying it’s the best solution but if you have a friend who isn’t bothered about updating then use them to update your games. I do feel that when we do see custom firmware then there will be a work around for this.
No, what I'm saying is that if you have games that aren't updated at this point, they're probably games like Kirby Star Allies, which WILL update your console to your friend's firmware version if you follow this guide

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
You have a point there.. :)

Not a big fan of griefing either - but please acknowledge that the purpose of this thread has changed throughout the day, now the main purpose should be to prevent people from trying to do this without the prior knowledge, that this could update their system firmware, if they are not careful.

It will be hard doing that, by not adressing OP's intentions, while the first posting still promotes, what a great method this is, how many games this will work with, and insits - that this work will get updated, as new "results" are made.

Please try to think of the ramifications this will have on the community.
I updated the first post with a warning so that people don't blindly update their systems by mistake.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aRVjiaM88Y