Hacking Question Updating emuNAND’s firmware? (I don’t care about fuses)

persianpariah667

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone! I have a setup with an untouched sysNAND that I keep for legit games I play online and an emuNAND which I use for shadier things and homebrew.

When I homebrewed my switch it was on 9.2.0 and now the latest version of Horizon OS is 10.0.4. I’m planning to play the new Paper Mario game on my emuNAND and wanted to upgrade my firmware just in case the game needed it.

I tried to use ChoiDujourNX but found out near the last step I would need to keep AutoRCM on. I don’t want to do that because I use my switch when I’m outside sometimes and don’t always have my computer near me to use for booting.

I don’t ever plan to downgrade firmware even if some cool exploit comes out later so burning fuses really doesn’t bother me, unless burning fuses has some other consequence that I’m not aware of.

So my questions are:

•Should I use ChoiDujourNX without AutoRCM to update my emuNAND to the latest firmware?

or

•What’s the best way for me to update?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you so much

persianpariah667

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Keep your autorcm on and keep your switch on sleep mode, just get it charge as much as you need it.

Is this the best option?

Sorry if this comes across as picky at all; I’m just tryna see what my options are. I really appreciate you responding to my thread.

The reason I hesitate is because I feel like that may be really bad for my battery overall since my playing pattern with my switch is only really frequent whenever a new game comes out and I don’t use it much otherwise so keeping it on sleep mode for weeks or months sounds like a bad idea. The idea of changing the way it boots concerns me cause I’m still sort a noob.

persianpariah667

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Keep your autorcm on and keep your switch on sleep mode, just get it charge as much as you need it.

Is this the best option?

Sorry if this comes across as picky at all; I’m just tryna see what my options are. I really appreciate you responding to my thread.

The reason I hesitate is because I feel like that may be really bad for my battery overall since my playing pattern with my switch is only really frequent whenever a new game comes out and I don’t use it much otherwise so keeping it on sleep mode for weeks or months sounds like a bad idea. The idea of changing the way it boots concerns me cause I’m still sort a noob.

magico29

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this the best option?

I have mines like that for more than 2 years already with no problems at all, also i just play every 2 or 3 months.So dont worry and just make sure to charge the switch when battery hits below 20%.

Last edited by magico29,

persianpariah667

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have mines like that for more than 2 years already with no problems at all.

Hmm okay. Thank you! I’ll see if others respond and also just wait time see if the game I want to play needs a firmware upgrade. I don’t wanna be too impulsive yet. Might even try to get one of those portable payload injector things. Thanks again for the advice :-)

magico29

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm okay. Thank you! I’ll see if others respond and also just wait time see if the game I want to play needs a firmware upgrade. I don’t wanna be too impulsive yet. Might even try to get one of those portable payload injector things. Thanks again for the advice :-)
No problem , you are welcome.

Bullseye

Trophies
XP
Country
If you are using EmuNAND for your shady stuff and not touching your sysnand in any way, and you update your FW on EmuNAND with ChoijoudourNX, AutoRCM does not affect your sysNand.

Current CFW can correctly shut down your console.

If you do not go into RCM mode and push a payload, you will just boot into sysNand.

I would highly recommend a portable RCM loader (RCM loader one or Ns atmosphere, from my experience).

I am occasionally using my console and like to turn it off when I will not be playing it for a while. I am keeping that configuration and it works quite well.

Last edited by Bullseye,

persianpariah667

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are using EmuNAND for your shady stuff and not touching your sysnand in any way, and you update your FW on EmuNAND with ChoijoudourNX, AutoRCM does not affect your sysNand.

Current CFW can correctly shut down your console.

If you do not go into RCM mode and push a payload, you will just boot into sysNand.

I would highly recommend a portable RCM loader (RCM loader one or Ns atmosphere, from my experience).

I am occasionally using my console and like to turn it off when I will not be playing it for a while. I am keeping that configuration and it works quite well.

Ahh I see. I ended up behind a little impulsive last night and updating my emuNAND with ChoiDujourNX but with AutoRCM off. Things seems to be working fine in all aspects. I’m still playing my legit games online on my clean sysNAND and the shadier stuff on my emuNAND. I appreciate the insight :-) I totally need to get one of the portable RCM loaders soon

lucks

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Autorcm does not affect sys update, it just autoboot to rcm, nothing else

You can t shutdown the system tho, it will reboot to rcm, always
It is not a good idea to charge the battery like crazy, you will kill it soon
You can keep autorcm and use standby, or buy a loader and remove autorcm so that you can properly shutdown the system

Zarx

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Hi, so i have original sysnand and cfw emunand. Both in 10.1. Im planning to update in the future, in what order should i do it? Sysnand and then emunand or it doesnt matter? Aswell, should i use the autorcm mode?

Naxster

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Hi, so i have original sysnand and cfw emunand. Both in 10.1. Im planning to update in the future, in what order should i do it? Sysnand and then emunand or it doesnt matter? Aswell, should i use the autorcm mode?

I don't think it matters... My SysNAND is still at 3.1.0 but I updated my EmuNAND to the latest firmware, like 2 days ago. I'm not going to use my SysNAND since I'm not planning to play online. So EmuNAND is the way for me :)

I was a bit sceptical about enabling AutoRCM since I've read manyyyy "bad" things about, for instance it can screw up your console, battery etc...

BUUUT enabling it was the best thing I ever did since it works so good, and it have been enabled for more than 1 year. If something happens or i shut it down (power it off), I just need to use my RCMLoader to boot it up again, without having to use a jig or a computer. It's so convenient :)
But hey everyone have their preferences.

Last edited by Naxster,
Reactions: Zarx

Zarx

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I don't think it matters... My SysNAND is still at 3.1.0 but I updated my EmuNAND to the latest firmware, like 2 days ago. I'm not going to use my SysNAND since I'm not planning to play online. So EmuNAND is the way for me :)

I was a bit sceptical about enabling AutoRCM since I've read manyyyy "bad" things about, for instance it can screw up your console, battery etc...

BUUUT enabling it was the best thing I ever did since it works so good, and it have been enabled for more than 1 year. If something happens or i shut it down (power it off), I just need to use my RCMLoader to boot it up again, without having to use a jig or a computer. It's so convenient :)
But hey everyone have their preferences.
thx men, i ended updating both, but in the next update i will prob just update the emunand. I kept the autorcm and buyed an otg adapter so i could use my phone as a rcmloader.

Reactions: Naxster

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay