[UPDATE 2] Calling all Tempers: Help Chary and Family!

Capture.JPG

Today we have setup a GoFundMe page for our beloved reporter @Chary.

Krista and her family have lost their entire home and all worldly possessions in the floods caused by Hurricane Harvey.

Please help us to help them by donating on the following page, any amount will help!

:arrow:Donate on GoFundMe
:arrow:Donate via Paypal to [email protected] and we'll match it on GoFundMe

:arrow:Houston Red Cross

[-UPDATE 2-]
Chary and her family have now received the cash from the fundraiser in full. Thanks again to everyone who donated and helped out!

[-UPDATE-]

After 2 weeks 82 donations have helped to raise £2022 (roughly $2670) to help Chary and her family to rebuild their lives.

A massive thanks to all of the following tempers who donated, and those of you who wished to remain anonymous:

@CreeperdivoHomebrewer
@BlackWizzard17
@Montgomery Von Goochums
@Becky McAndrew
[USER=31]@shaunj66

@thomas Hugh
@DinohScene
@Yudowat
@Disse
@Foxi4
@linuxares
@Bubsy Bobcat
@Depravo
@bjaxx87
@Mário Liberato
@RayD97 Dean
@eric Cobb
@Shadowfied
@sandra Hughes
@Majin Cubyan
[USER=290925]@frogboy

@nEx Y
@exangel
@Rebekah Davenport
@XxShalevElimelechxX
@mohammed Al Rashedi
@SuzieJoe Bob
@andre Trek
@lilaznkilla
@Aneki S
@Bu2d85
@Munchlax Brunchlax
[USER=30028]@Julio
Lizardo
@Eris
@Catsinabucket
@sarkwalvein
@drazenm
@xfxmrl
@Lia
@GamerzHell9137
@x65943
@Elrinth
@BowlOfSpiders
@jerbear64
@cearp
@VinsCool
@Minox
@Roify
@Apathetic_Discord
@Deathwing Zero
@Dennis L
@GearCross
@Joshua F
@draxoon
@Issac
@B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N
@Yu Lu
@Gallito
@misterion
@8BitWonder
@deakphreak
@Armadillo
@matpower
@H.F.H Peeters
@Taleweaver
@p1ngpong
@anon nano
@Alephas Enum
@DarkFlare69
@Todderbert
@HaloEliteLegend
@nastydsi
@ian Mc
[USER=317601]@mbcrazed

@elias Jackson
@6 x anonymous

Also a massive thanks to everyone who has streamed to help this fund.

You are what makes GBAtemp such an amazing community to be a part of!

Now, as for GoFundMe, they have still not released the funds to Chary, despite saying they would, over 10 days ago. The excuse is their engineers need time to convert the raised amount to dollars, and their payment processing team are trying their best to get it done. To me this sounds absurd, but here we are, 14 days since the fund started, waiting for the cash to be paid out in this emergency situation.[/USER][/USER][/USER][/USER]

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
About "equal rights":
That other person didn't ask to make that thread, and users begging from other users is against the rules (unless someone asks and we approve).
No one is stopping anyone from having a gofundme link in their signatures.

But in this case? It's staff "begging" in benefit for another staff member. A staff member who contributes with a lot to the community.
If any member were allowed to beg, the place would be overflowing with those threads.

suzsuzuki

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
About "equal rights":
That other person didn't ask to make that thread, and users begging from other users is against the rules (unless someone asks and we approve).
No one is stopping anyone from having a gofundme link in their signatures.

But in this case? It's staff "begging" in benefit for another staff member. A staff member who contributes with a lot to the community.
If any member were allowed to beg, the place would be overflowing with those threads.
Yes I agree @Kafluke need to ask permission. but he made A LOT of contribution to this forum too, but I think it's better to discuss this on another thread.. Lets focus Chary's help

Last edited by suzsuzuki,

Favna

#PCMasterRace
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Except the city of Houston didn't issue evacuation orders until this morning. Nobody thought it'd get as bad as it is.
If you live on the coast and specifically an area that is commonly in the path of hurricanes (which pass the USA every year!) then the government should've prepared for it ages ago but instead they are fighting over health care, extremists and mexicans. Perhaps Trump should build that wall across the coast to finally indefinitely protect those areas. Just look at The Netherlands who build (i think) the biggest delta dams ever after the huge north sea storm of '53. Not to mention that over 50 years ago we didn't have the building machines that we have these days.

There is simply no excuse for not being prepared because hurricanes pass by the USA in that approximate region every year. It doesn't matter if this is the first in god knows how many years that specifically affected Houston (if that's the case, I do not know. I do not bother with other countries much).

TLDR: Chary is not to blame. Not at all in fact. Like I said, it super sucks for her. USA gov should stop bitching about other crap and protect their own country instead.

also as a p.s., I remember back when Katrina hit New Orleans USA gov actually asked The Netherlands about delta works help in architecture but those plans never took off either.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Not to me but it is worth noting that to a pessimist this can translate to "Mods are more important than membrs lol fuck you". Just sayin....
there is a point in that comment and i agree it's kinda fucked up...
however, chary is a verified fund raising..
everyone can claim "my mom is sick please send help" put a link to a random news article and scam others...
chary didn't ask, mods seen her situation and thought about doing something to help.
her situation is confirmed to be real and not a scam or anything like that... she is a trusted member and contributed a lot to this website...
that's why the rules where bent in this case..

but yeah, sadly in the real world this shit happens.. if i would need help and tried to fund raising for help me with something, there was almost no way to prove that money would go to the legitimate purpose...
the rules are to protect the users from being taken advantage off.. which prevents some folks from getting help.. but the world is like this...

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Already donated elsewhere.

This is a different circumstance. Chary is not "begging" for money, she didn't even ask for this, the staff created this GoFundMe and this opportunity to donate and help a valued staff member get back on her feet after a major disaster basically uprooted her entire life.

Not to mention we can actually confirm this money will go to a legitimate cause. While I'm not saying that particular user is lying or anything, anyone can just up and claim "my family is in a bad way, please send money", which is why we don't allow users to create threads asking for money.
Still a double-standard however you slice it, you guys say it could be a con and in that case you guys could have verified it for its authenticity rather than shutting it down and pretending it doesn't exist.

Just not a good move on your part, fellas.

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Ignore the assholes Chary, I know that you didn't ask for this and it may be embarrassing but don't think for a second you aren't worth the support. You do so much for this site that the community WANTS to give back how we can.

I just donated £20 (even though I dunno how that translates into dollars). The gofundme didn't let me leave a note though.

Good luck Chary, we all care about you and will come together to ask... TEMPCAST WHEN!?! HURRY UP!!!

Favna

#PCMasterRace
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ignore the assholes Chary, I know that you didn't ask for this and it may be embarrassing but don't think for a second you aren't worth the support. You do so much for this site that the community WANTS to give back how we can.

I just donated £20 (even though I dunno how that translates into dollars). The gofundme didn't let me leave a note though.

Good luck Chary, we all care about you and will come together to ask... TEMPCAST WHEN!?! HURRY UP!!!

> Mods calling members assholes

Smooth af moves m8. Smooth af.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Look don't get me wrong here, it's terrible this happened to ya Chary but... your government send out an evacuation order many days ago. It would be only fair to the community if you'd explain why in gods name you didn't evacuate and ensure safety of goods within the many days you had. And you only have $30 and a phone of belongings left across your entire family (presumably at least with 2 parents)? Sorry but that sounds very unrealistic. I assume it means 30 in cash but that would imply you and your family do not have any bank account? Just what?

TLDR: Give information before expecting pity donations (because honestly that's what they are).

Again. I hope the best for you but until you give proper info about what happened I cannot show pity.
We weren't given the evacuation. Check the Mayor's twitter. There's an uproar. Houston was NEVER told to leave. We were told it was going to be okay. The forecast we were given was 2 inches in the house max. Which I planned for. I'm not expecting anything, either. I was fully unaware that the staff had planned this, and I woke up to see so much generosity and kindness from everyone here, unwarranted.

You're accusing me of doing things when you're misinformed. I'm not saying it's unwise to be wary, but at least have all the facts in line.

And if you oh so really need to know, my mother spend all of her money on paying rent for the destroyed ruins of my house, a day prior. My father is unemployed. I live paycheck to paycheck, so yeah, all I've got is $30.

IMG_3837.JPG IMG_3836.JPG

I'm not saying I should get special treatment. I don't want special treatment either. Posts begging for donations ARE usually shady in nature, (remember Xuphor) so I get why the rule exists. But still, I'm not going to turn down everyone's love and generosity.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
@Chary
I will help you how i can. If you can come to Massachusetts then you and your family can stay with us and we will help provide meals. I know Massachusetts is quite far away from you, but at this very moment that is the best i can do. If you do decide to come, we have our public transit card that we can pay for your tickets either by bus or train, and we can give you clothing, blankets, and other things that we have here.

I wish you and your family the best. If i think of other ways i can help then i will let you know.

D

Deleted-355425

We weren't given the evacuation. Check the Mayor's twitter. There's an uproar. Houston was NEVER told to leave. We were told it was going to be okay. The forecast we were given was 2 inches in the house max. Which I planned for. I'm not expecting anything, either. I was fully unaware that the staff had planned this, and I woke up to see so much generosity and kindness from everyone here, unwarranted.

You're accusing me of doing things when you're misinformed. I'm not saying it's unwise to be wary, but at least have all the facts in line.

And if you oh so really need to know, my mother spend all of her money on paying rent for the destroyed ruins of my house, a day prior. My father is unemployed. I live paycheck to paycheck, so yeah, all I've got is $30.

View attachment 97054 View attachment 97055

I'm not saying I should get special treatment. I don't want special treatment either. Posts begging for donations ARE usually shady in nature, (remember Xuphor) so I get why the rule exists. But still, I'm not going to turn down everyone's love and generosity.

No one is calling you out Chary, we care about you and your situation and want to help but members are just upset that there seems to be sets of rules for some people and other rules for other members.

Naendow

Brick-Master
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
She is (like many other people in Houston) in a really terrible situation. Even if she asked for the money, she really needs it right now. If anyone here does not understand this situation, then this person should think about how they'd want and need the support in a situation like this one. They also should just shut up and leave this thread. It won't hurt anyone and nobody is forced to even think about this topic.

We also shouldn't discuss about any rules here. That is the wrong place for this.

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Today we have setup a GoFundMe page for our beloved reporter @Chary.

Krista and her family have lost their entire home and all worldly possessions in the floods caused by Hurricane Harvey.

Please help us to help them by donating on the following page, any amount will help!

:arrow:Donate on GoFundMe
:arrow:Donate via Paypal to [email protected] and we'll match it on GoFundMe

Unfortunately, I'm pretty strapped for cash at the moment, but I will share the link on social media to help out.

Reactions: Chary

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What he's covered? Make his life stressful anyway
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I love how insurance companies can deny procedures because they deem it not medically necessary despite the procedure being ordered by a doctor
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Going with that right now with a dental claim morons put the wrong company name and rejected claims been on hold an hour for the claims department
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, BTW is it better to go usb or bt for these mini Pcs figure you may know since you play with rack systems so much
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Counting my blessings that my insurance hasn't caused me really any headache (yet, at least) despite the fact that I've been getting way more appointments and what not recently due
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @K3Nv2, what do you mean, what are you trying to do?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just looking at a built in mouse pad keyboard combo
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I loose the dongle constantly but they may have better connection with usb frequency
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Imo Bluetooth is always a option of last resort for me
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Except for phones because it tends to be pretty reliable there
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a bad habit of taking out usb transmitter and loosing it because they can't you know print names on the damn things
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    But any desktop OS, I've never had anything but frustration trying to get Bluetooth devices to work reliably and stable. It might pair and connect once, and then next time I go to use it I have to delete and re-pair it again
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    5.3 has been so good I think 6 is really going to make it stable
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I remember how shit 3 was
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Ptouch labeler aren't terribly expensive, label shit yourself fam. This is the one I own and there are cheaper ones too https://www.amazon.com/Brother-P-Touch-PTH110BP-Portable-included/dp/B09QXYND6S
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Solves part of the problem, mixing up which dongle is which. Then you just have to not lose them lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Double D would be proud
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Even my Xbox One controller I have it paired to my desktop over Bluetooth, it USUALLY works but sometimes it refuses to connect and I have to delete and re-pair it. Maddening
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gigabytes built in mobo bt/wifi pairs pretty decent
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    That's what I'm using :(
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ran a driver update in device manager?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Not recently but I think it's less a driver issue and more just Windows having a garbage Bluetooth stack
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Could be I was having issues when I first upgraded it and didn't realiser gigabyte has specific driver revisions which is stupid
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Which is married to the boards revision
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Made my first review
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Made my first review