Hacking up gpsp kai - list of games with unavoidable crashes?

Clydefrosch

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So I've heard that there are some games that run perfectly on gpsp kai, except for when they eventually have one place where they crash with much static noise that you can't pass.

I've run into one in Megaman Battlenetwork, close to the end whenever you enter the secret WWW underground metroline. (yes I checked for bad rom and tried about 5 sources, all the same, also using the latest uo gpsp kai)
Apparently the same things happens near the last dungeon in Minish Cap and when a certain enemy appears in Megaman Battlenetwork 4.

Before I get completely bummed out halfway through a final fantasy or any other enjoyable gba game, do we have a list of games that have similar problems?
ive found a couple compability lists but since those crashes seem to be late game occurrences, they're never mentioned

List:

Megaman Battle Network 1 - End of the game when entering underground railroad
Megaman Battle Network 4 - Apparently an unknown random virus encounter
Breath of Fire 2 - Highfort after boss battle during escape scene
Wario Ware Inc. - Final Wario Games in Story Mode, graphics will randomly glitch between games, making it impossible to play any games afterwards. (Rechecking this later with a fresh rom download)

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Even if there are crashes, why not just use another one of the variations of the GBA emulators available for the PSP? Some of them work better for certain games and worse for others. It's never a bad idea to have a couple variations on hand just in case.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First thing that came to mind was one of the battle networks. Always make real saves not just save states, then you can load the game on a PC emulator and get past the broke point. Then put the save back on the PSP. I did it with a few games, and to watch the kh chain of memories cut scenes.

Also just a warning if you play kingdom hearts, be careful on your L and R buttons a lot of friends broke there's pressing them too hard with that game.

Clydefrosch

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Even if there are crashes, why not just use another one of the variations of the GBA emulators available for the PSP? Some of them work better for certain games and worse for others. It's never a bad idea to have a couple variations on hand just in case.

the problem isnt games that crash early or dont work at all, I've already split up my games between uo gpsp kai, tempgba and some other gpsp fork according to compability.
the problem here is games that work perfectly for 15-20 hours of gameplay and then have one moment, when a certain map, an item, an enemy graphic or whatever should load, where the game crashes due to some pointer address issue.

First thing that came to mind was one of the battle networks. Always make real saves not just save states, then you can load the game on a PC emulator and get past the broke point. Then put the save back on the PSP. I did it with a few games, and to watch the kh chain of memories cut scenes.

Also just a warning if you play kingdom hearts, be careful on your L and R buttons a lot of friends broke there's pressing them too hard with that game.

I guess thats all i can do, is it? I remember, many years ago I did this with games on a very old gba flash card. so much hassle :/ it would be great if you'd remember some of the games you had to do this for.

as for l and r buttons, I'm always careful with them, I've seen many people break theirs but mine all work normally. though on the psp, i usually use square and triangle for L and R whenever its comfortable

Clydefrosch

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
alright, bringing this back up to add another game,
breath of fire 2.
after beating the boss of the monkey fortress, Shupkay, while the castle is about to explode, the game eventually remains in an endless loop of shaking towers.

This is apparently a widespread problem with this game on emulators.

In another forum, I found this
"This is a Bug in the GBA Rom, in the VBA Emulator this code correct the problem:

030057F0:00
"

this apparently fixes the problem. anyone know if this can be converted to ARv3 to use on the psp?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: we are fucked