Valwin

The Neautral Gamer
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but the Wiiu can play wii games

I was wrong, you actually are really funny.

Xbox 360's can play most Xbox games and older PS3's can play PS2 games. I guess they're fucked.
I think I managed to decipher Valwin's point. The Wii U will be competing with 5 years of established titles, but it its self has 5 years of titles under it's belt. Frankly, as long as it has some good games from the start, I don't see having to compete Gears of War II and MGS4 as a real problem.

yep when a console launches one the good thing about backwards compability is that it opens you to the library of the previous console this should be standard to all modern consoles

Auryn

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
All depends on what you expect from the console. For me they could do a PS3/XBOX360 for 100$ and cut out all that crap about internet, music, photos, media streaming and all the rest that has nothing to do with games.
I want a console because it's a console and I want to play games with them and nothing else.
You made a super dooper PS3/Xbox entertainement system at home and just because the drive died or because you just played 1 hour too long with it, it's broken, then you are a "i don't know what to do" because you are lost without your music, games, internet and photos....let's hope they not format your drive when repairing the console :P
Since years (even before flatscreens) i have my PC connected to my TV and Speaker system, wireless mouse and keyboard and I enjoy what i want from my bed just by moving some fingers...I don't need a PS3 and Xbox for that.
Before you say "...but if your pc dies, it's the same!"....no, almost all datas are decentralized in external HDDs and server.

I am not happy that Nintendo goes this "console that can do everything" way and I am not a graphic fetishist either but if the game look better...why not but still keep the quality. I don't have any problems just let a game down because it's not funny (example Zelda Mayura's Mask) and if Nintendo games will become as the same quality as Skyward sword (that damn game ended before I knew it), then ...yes, Wii-U is doomed.

About the controller, well, how many said that the ps3 was looking like a toaster, the first PSP wasn't fancy as well and the Xbox looked like a brick and you could kill people with it?? I am sure that controller will be smaller as the one we all saw but what matters is what you can do with it.
Don't forget where the idea for PS-Move and Kinetic came from.
When the 3DS came out, somebody at Sony commented "...not yet..." so I would not be so surprised if the next generation ps/xbox will have an ipad 3D (without glasses) and 2 horns left and right like a giant dualshock controller!
I just googled "dualshock Ipad" and look how far from reality my idea is: http://www.destructo...ps-220168.phtml
or
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2011/12/19/sony-tablet-s-now-supports-ps3-dualshock-controllers/

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Too bad Auryn... The signs point to the NextBox being a home media center with included kinect and compatibility with Windows 8.

Stewox

Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
Is it just my impression or you people are not giving the Wii-U any chance??
There are facts that are already confirmed about it and the most important 4 are that it will not be cheap, addresses the freaks especially in the first years of sell, a lot of RAM and capable of full HD.
Even newspaper say that Wii-U will not be a pure gaming console but take the way of PS/XBOX with multi-functionality not that this make me somehow happy because I used all my console only for games and nothing other). Another little fact is that Nintendo is not ready to pay for patents for the game medium allowing to spend more money in other parts of the console.

What I don't know is in how many steps Nintendo want to grow up. If the Wii-U is to be seen as tergetting the "grow up/core" gamer, is Nintendo ready to throw away all "family/casual gamer" they just win with the Wii?? I think no so there are 2 ways to go here:
1)Wii-U will be top notch but there will be a "light" version of it for casual gamers or Nintendo has 2 different consoles in plan
2)Wii-U will be mediocre so that maybe loose part of the casual gamer but win some core gamers.

Anyway I believe Wii-U need a chance because it's the first step toward a "grow up" Nintendo (for all that want this).

I think the main issue is that everyone's been screaming essentially your entire first two paragraphs like a prophet but this stuff has been around for years. "Lots of RAM" and "full HD" are really unimpressive when two consoles have been sporting it for half a decade, three if you count the PC (which is more advanced on hardware). As for multifunctionality, I don't think anyone cares either since all these consoles can do it already. Web browsing? Wii or PS3. Or a computer like an sensible person. Or an Android or iOS device. Netflix? Like every device recently (so Wii, Xbox 360, PS3, PC, 3DS, Vita, PC). Plus with Sony and Microsoft having their fingers in multiple pies, they get access to more features. Microsoft has connectivity with Windows, Zune, and Windows Phone. Sony probably has something go with their control on Sony Pictures and Sony Music.

EDIT: Actually, if you wanted a Sony pro on that end, integration between their handhelds and consoles. One account is tied to the PSN across your consoles. You can purchase a PSOne game on your PS3 and play it on your PSP. The Vita is even larger on this respect but they've definitely been promoting their handhelds and consoles like peanut butter and jelly.

The controller is just honestly a stupid concept. Like a touch screen controller would be nice... But who the fuck would want something THAT big? It's just unwieldy. Why not have a smaller screen, like iPhone size? The device doesn't have enough features to be a standalone tablet either, so keeping a smaller screen for menus and touch based stuff would be fine, not to mention sleeker. Also why anyone would want dual slider pads when you can have two analog sticks is beyond me.

At this point, unless Nintendo can sell their console for $200 or less, I see no reason why anyone would pick it over a Xbox 360 (since that's the cheapest of the HD consoles currently). The Xbox 360 has a large library of games already, all these features everyone loves, good graphics, and its entire casual gaming sector is compartmentalized with the Kinect (meaning core players won't have to deal with a trade off of motion controls for their regular games). If you don't like paying for online, then pay $50 more for a PS3 and basically get all the same things.

I also find it funny that people go "OMG A HD NINTENDO CONSOLE INSTANT BUY" when every Wii diehard prided themselves on being "true gamers" and "didn't care about graphics". Well bullshit, everyone was like "OMG ZELDA IN HD I MUST BUY INSTANTLY" without seeing jackshit outside of a brief tech demo.

X360 does not have native 1080p - upscaling from 720p.

You need to do a bit of research to know what will WiiU be able to do.

here is a quick link on the GPU difference: http://www.shacknews.com/article/68905/wii-u-uses-last-gen?id=26106637#item_26106637

the media has been very ignorant and (probably unintentional) understating the WiiU system power - they don't understand the specs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill