Unofficial Hakchi2/Manual Hacking Thread

DNA64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DarkAkuma mentioned something today that I had already thought of, and it was that we really need a separate unofficial hakchi2/manual hacking thread.
So as I was just about to post up my guide, I thought I'd start one, So full credit to him for the title :)

Let's try and keep the other thread clear of spam for the official stuff, and use this one for the unofficial!

I'd also like to remind users that it's always risky to modify things, especially when so little is known about them. Proceed with anything here with Caution and at your own risk!

An Unofficial Guide to Manually hacking your SNES Classic Mini by DNA64
Hosted on Github - Click here to view the guide

SNES CE ROM TOOL by DNA64
Automates converting and naming ROM files without the need to edit your ROM names.
MEGA Download

Last edited by DNA64,

KongsNutz

[Team Oceanic]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alrighty then, so I have RetroArch working from cloverapp, roms work etc. is there a way to make a .desktop for individual roms that point to RetroArch to run? I've seen someone do it but can't figure out the Exec command.

1upgamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are two different guides. There is this guide using regular hikchi and another guide using a modified hikchi.

cokeaddict

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It seems to make more sense to use the modified Hakchi as it saves messing around with editing .desktop files and ftp

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks but nah, I will skip the unofficial version (never liked unofficial anyway) until the developer release the official one. No hurry.

Last edited by spotanjo3,

damianoslebo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was able to create directories successfully in my snes mini if anyone needs help.
1.) Create folder resource (Like a game folder) label it something like CLV-P-S00001. Should contain a .desktop, a .png for the folder img you want, and a .png for the small image. This folder resource should go in your usr/share/games.

2.)Edit the .desktop file and in the Exec line change the normal emulator exec line to "chmenu XXX", where XXX is the folder you want to link to.

3.)In the usr/share/games folder create a subfolder to hold all your games labeled the XXX from above. Place all your excess titles in this folder as before.

4.)Create an additional folder path back to the original usr/games/share folder in the usr/games/share/XXX folder you just created following steps 1 and 2.

5.)Edit the "chmenu" script to:
-Remove lines 27-29
-Remove line 34
-Replace line 37 with /etc/init.d/S81clover-mcp start or
/sbin/reboot

chmenu is located in "/var/lib/hakchi/rootfs/bin"

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll ask here, when you dump the kernel, then flash it with a custom kernel, can you keep the 21 games and add one without them being "hidden" from the main menu? I've seen a tutorial just now on YouTube that shows the new games and the original kept untouched.

Kumoashi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll ask here, when you dump the kernel, then flash it with a custom kernel, can you keep the 21 games and add one without them being "hidden" from the main menu? I've seen a tutorial just now on YouTube that shows the new games and the original kept untouched.
I think if you use the Unofficial "BRAC Edition" of Hakchi2, then the answer is yes.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course, whenever the official version comes out, it will be able to do that as well. It will also be easier.

Right, I mean as is it's a lot less complicated than I originally anticipated, it's just there's a lot more involved work to do to converting the ROM and changing the desktop file strings. But once it's officially out, that part will be a lot more streamlined :P

blueflash

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Is there a list of arguments yet for Clover? A Pal game Ive tried is stretched as pal was slightly higher res then ntsc.

Nes emu had argument for ntsc/pal version imagine snes has too

DNA64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why do we need to use FTP exactly? I'm confused XD I thought that using FTP was what was so risky about the last guide? :P
If you're using "BRAC" or another custom build Hakchi2 then you don't need to FTP them over. FTP isn't risky, just transfers can fail if you're copying too much over at once (which can be fixed in the settings) and you'll have to transfer those failed transfers again.
Set your concurrent transfers to (1) and you shouldn't have an issue.

I was able to create directories successfully in my snes mini if anyone needs help.
1.) Create folder resource (Like a game folder) label it something like CLV-P-S00001. Should contain a .desktop, a .png for the folder img you want, and a .png for the small image. This folder resource should go in your usr/share/games.

2.)Edit the .desktop file and in the Exec line change the normal emulator exec line to "chmenu XXX", where XXX is the folder you want to link to.

3.)In the usr/share/games folder create a subfolder to hold all your games labeled the XXX from above. Place all your excess titles in this folder as before.

4.)Create an additional folder path back to the original usr/games/share folder in the usr/games/share/XXX folder you just created following steps 1 and 2.

5.)Edit the "chmenu" script to:
-Remove lines 27-29
-Remove line 34
-Replace line 37 with /etc/init.d/S81clover-mcp start or
/sbin/reboot

chmenu is located in "/var/lib/hakchi/rootfs/bin"

Do 6 characters work (CLV-P-S00001)? I thought the max was 5?

My script automates folder creation.

Yes, you can keep the 21 games if not using the "BRAC" release. You just need to copy them into the new directory (/var/lib/hakchi/rootfs/usr/share/games).

Last edited by DNA64,
Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're using "BRAC" then you don't need to FTP them over. FTP isn't risky, just transfers can fail if you're copying too much over at once (which can be fixed in the settings) and you'll have to transfer those failed transfers again.
Set your concurrent transfers to (1) and you shouldn't have an issue.

Do 6 characters work (CLV-P-S00001)? I thought the max was 5?

My script automates folder creation.

Yes, you can keep the 21 games if not using the "BRAC" release. You just need to copy them into the new directory (/var/lib/hakchi/rootfs/usr/share/games).

Not using the BRAC version, actually, it was the other shown in this video here:

He's not using an FTP, but one of the guides he found on Reddit. Ugh, I should PM you to explain.
https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNESmods/comments/74c7e2/tutorial_add_games_to_snesc_impatient_edition/

Last edited by the_randomizer,

PPlays

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey DNA64 would you mind if I (or you) post my tutorial video? I actually recorded it while following your tutorial lol.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Reactions: DNA64

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto