Hacking Ubuntu 18.04 on a Switch

crow132

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Helena
GPD Win doesn't have as good hardware acceleration as the Switch, the GPD Win is using an Intel HD 615.

BTW, there are a few devices that are open source that run on specs exact or similar to Switch, (Google Pixel C is very close), using Tegra X1... what would be the steps to getting them booted using current exploit chains?
hd 615 is super close to the tegra x1 docked (and better than undocked).
also, the win 2 cpu is like 3 or 4 times better than the switch, so yeah, the win 2 is currently ahead

Swan1360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im using the pre built and im just getting exploiting Switch recovery mode and loading coreboot i tried it a couple times already

memomo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
can i boot it via windows with tegrarcmsmash?

I can confirm it's bootable via TegraRcmGUI v1.3.0 in Windows 10

amazing job :grog: keep it up

Attachments

• Photo 18-05-2018, 5 17 26 PM.jpg
    Photo 18-05-2018, 5 17 26 PM.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 425
  • Photo 18-05-2018, 5 19 13 PM.jpg
    Photo 18-05-2018, 5 19 13 PM.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 412
  • Photo 18-05-2018, 5 20 36 PM.jpg
    Photo 18-05-2018, 5 20 36 PM.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 421
Last edited by memomo,

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there going to be a user-friendly version of this released anytime soon?
This is already pretty damn user friendly; Just not idiot proof. If you can't follow the provided info, you have no business playing with Linux in the first place, let alone playing with it on your Switch. It's an overall not a great experience at the moment.slow as hell, no audio, and jacks up your battery calibration.

JaRocker

Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica
This is already pretty damn user friendly; Just not idiot proof. If you can't follow the provided info, you have no business playing with Linux in the first place, let alone playing with it on your Switch. It's an overall not a great experience at the moment.slow as hell, no audio, and jacks up your battery calibration.
Fully working PC right now I have to be using my gf laptop and I don't wanna be missing with it it's not really good to assume

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fully working PC right now I have to be using my gf laptop and I don't wanna be missing with it it's not really good to assume
Who's assuming? I call it as I see it. What I see is someone asking for "user friendly" instructions for instructions that are already user friendly, who also can't seem to form a coherent sentence.

JaRocker

Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica
O
Who's assuming? I call it as I see it. What I see is someone asking for "user friendly" instructions for instructions that are already user friendly, who also can't seem to form a coherent sentence.
K no problem.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Lol I was using the old version didn't see that I got updated thanks for the update I'm downloading it now is the wifi working on this build

Last edited by JaRocker,

cmsj

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
im using the pre built and im just getting exploiting Switch recovery mode and loading coreboot i tried it a couple times already

Are you using the exploit.tar.gz version of shofel? Or some old version you had lying around?

Assuming you're using my pre-built one from exploit.tar.gz, it should leave behind an exploit.log - maybe check that for errors.

Swan1360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you using the exploit.tar.gz version of shofel? Or some old version you had lying around?

Assuming you're using my pre-built one from exploit.tar.gz, it should leave behind an exploit.log - maybe check that for errors.
Will do after work thanks

Switchito

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi cmsj,
great work!

I have a couple of questions:

A) would it make sense to develop something similar to your ubuntu, but based on Debian arm64? Maybe Sid?

Would this base make it easier to compile additional packages / drivers?

B) If I install your Ubuntu on the switch, will I be able to use an external hard drive connected to an official / unofficial dock?
I am asking this with the idea of starting to try to compile something myself natively.

C) another question is on the GUI:

the Librem project is completing a linux based os for a future phone / touchscreen devices.
However, this includes a Gnome-based GUI for touchscreens for which the sources are available.

Given that the sources might be available one day, would it make sense to consider this os for the switch in the future?

Thank you and keep on the good work

swabbo

Wot u doin readin dis m8?
Trophies
XP
Country
image.jpeg
I used Linux mint to extract the prebuilt Ubuntu from your GitHub onto a 128gb MicroSD, then used tegrarcmgui on Windows 10 to run the Linux bootloader because the Linux one wasn't working, but I get this on my switch it just scrolls with the same thing over and over, any ideas?

Turned out to be because my 128gb MicroSD is SDXC and isn't supported :( next best thing I have is a 4gb lol

Last edited by swabbo,

DarkenSX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i tried to build from source on an ubuntu 18.04 amd64 pc with 4GB RAM and a i3 cpu the build hangs at "creating ubuntu file system this can take 20+ mins" i left it for 48 hrs just in case it just stayed there any advice? btw to all asking or complaining that 64GB+ sdcard are not supported atm by any linux on switch only handle 32GB or below its a kernel issue i believe or at least its what i have been hearing so far.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto