Ubisoft: "No More Compulsory DLC"

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Tom Bombadildo, Nov 22, 2016.

1. kingsora831

kingsora831 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 15, 2012
    United States
    NYC in College
    I really feel like this has something to do with the death of the divison's player base, a game they promised would last a couple of years.

All of The game's dlc still hasn't even been released, yet the player base is severely diminished and they are still continuing to charge for the dlc that would more than likely reinvigorate the player base and reel in people to start playing again.

This hurts both players who already purchased the season pass (dumb decision) and those who would continue to play but dont want to make a $40 purchase for subpar additional content.

Also all this; Regular Edition, Deluxe Edition, and Gold Edition for all of their releases is dumb.

Last edited by kingsora831, Nov 22, 2016

2. retrofan_k

retrofan_k GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 31, 2013
    Belarus
    Caves
    The same could be said for constant balance patches for fighting games like MKX because that was released as a BETA and is now a completely different game. Gone are the days of "WYSIWYG" and make do with what is offered to the table, however, patching to fix bugs is okay but nothing else. Bring back late 90's/early 2K way of doing things and ditch all this DLC crap and constant patching and actually do a proper QA test cycle, instead of letting the consumers be the testers.

3. TheVinAnator

TheVinAnator GBATemp's Greatest Vin

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    Woo this is awesome. Why can't every company be like this :P

4. ov3rkill

ov3rkill GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 10, 2009
    Too bad people are still buying it. Heck, even the so called 'Early Access', you pay to beta test their product. haha.

5. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    There's only so much you can do with testing. You can't expect the testers to spend thousands of hours practicing and getting tournament-level skilled just to see if some characters have an edge over the others.

6. darklordrs

darklordrs GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 16, 2015
    United States
    Bingo. Do you even realize the level of horrible shit we get from not being able to patch games?

SF3 Third Strike. Dominated by two characters. SSBB. Dominated by one character. SF2 Turbo, dominated by one banned character and one soft-banned character. It just keeps going.

Codemastershock likes this.
  7. Burlsol

Burlsol Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 7, 2015
    Now if only they could do something about their always on DRM and having to sign into U-play to play single player games.

8. Phemeto

Phemeto GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2016
    United States
    Maybe its because im a huge From Soft fanboy, but more companies should do DLC like them. They make GREAT games (even before souls, Armored Core was AWESOME, as was their other RPGs) and the DLC usually adds a fair amount of ACTUAL content to their games, is paced out over months or years, isn't expensive, and is genuinely good. The only complaint they've ever had with DLC is this Ashes of Ariandel, which I actually enjoyed a lot. Some people think its too short, but thats fine, thats their opinion.

9. XrosBlader821

XrosBlader821 Digimon Tamer

Feb 1, 2014
    Gambia, The
    I'll believe it when I see it.
    Rainbow six siege uses it but it was necessary considering the game would've been dead if they didn't.

Also what happened to muh "Games are too expensive to create so we have to put priced DLC everywhere"?

10. Öhr

Öhr GBAtemp Regular

Nov 22, 2006
    Gambia, The
    Now rethink your shitty DRM uPlay policy and you might actually have me back as a customer. There are so many Ubisoft games I wanna buy and play, but well, not like this. I don't accept DRM punishment for buying your products!

11. Autz

Autz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 18, 2016
    Venezuela
    What about no Ubisoft?

I'll believe that with a new game, not with empty words. No offense but you guys are way least reliable than Capcom.

12. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Most times I skip the DLC shenanigans altogether and just buy GOTY versions with DLC included, unless it's a game I truly love and the expansion provided is justifiable. I recommend that stance to everyone - we need to stop supporting these nickle and dime operations. If it's not a whole new campaign, I'm just not buying it - it'll be included in the GOTY release either way.

Patxinco and osaka35 like this.
  13. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I have to thank Nintendo for not forcing paid DLC in Splatoon... Every update gave us new maps, weapons, or clothes. At the end of the last update, they gave us all a full game's worth of content. I feel happy with my $60 purchase, as I feel I got my money's worth.

14. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Cause every company hates us, thinks we're scum and want to make money off of pressuring us to buy "enhancements" for our games we don't really need, and shouldn't be "enhancements" in the first place.:ninja:

I hope they haven't forgotten the reason why they are still in business is cause WE BUY THEIR STUFF!:creep:

Lesson to everyone, you want a company to stop making games, go out of business? Don't buy their stuff, laws of supply and demand. Basics ONE-ZERO-ONE.:teach:

Resist temptation to do these things and defend what you believe is the golden path. :rolleyes:

TheVinAnator likes this.
  15. TheVinAnator

TheVinAnator GBATemp's Greatest Vin

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    Couldn't have said it better my self! lol

16. JAWS_XS

JAWS_XS Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 3, 2007
    United States
    I've been gaming before and after DLC. First, I've only ever bought DLC a few times. The last one was probably MarioKart 8. I enjoyed the game, so I wanted to reward the devs with my money. I've never bought ANY season passes. Fuck that. Hey game companies? Why would you want to split up the community? When these map packs come out there goes half (or more) people alienated from your mp game. Battlefront I'm looking at you!!

17. Xuman

Xuman GBAtemp Fan

Jan 26, 2012
    United States
    DLC. Devs Leeching Cash.

jalaneme likes this.
  18. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    BS i'll believe it when i see it.

jalaneme likes this.
  19. LaronX

LaronX GBAtemp Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Ubsioft stoping to usw AC as a dildo to please investors and ditching DLC? Holy dagger we might even see them get creation again and last time that happened we got Prince of Persia and resulting out of that AC. I honestly doubt it till I see it, but who knows.

20. Luckkill4u

Luckkill4u 4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jul 13, 2008
    Canada
    Insomnia
    Seems kind of weird they are saying this that Watch_Dogs 2 just came out and the DLC system is already annoying. It's actually making me not buy the game until a 'Game of the Year' edition comes out. What happened to completely making a video game for a release? I'm just tired of the gradual roll out of features that should be in the game on day one. Games like the Witcher 3 is different with its expansions. You get the main game with its story that can be completed as a whole then you can buy expansions for it that are about the same length as a full sized game. There is also what Konami did with Metal Gear Solid V where the DLC adds no extra story but just costumes, weapons and online multiplayer maps. Which is okay because it doesn't give much advantage over another player or is completely aesthetic (Except expensive Konami).