Ubisoft: "No More Compulsory DLC"

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Tom Bombadildo, Nov 22, 2016.

Nov 22, 2016
  1. boodaliboo

Newcomer boodaliboo Member

Bahamas, The
    thanks ubisoft hopefully other companys follow

2. netovsk

Member netovsk GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    Cant say I'm all against DLC

This business model allows sometimes for a cheaper base game, in an attempt to lure players into purchasing additional content, or allowing better games to be thrown in into deals with Microsoft and Sony for GWG and PS+.

It's a pretty good phenomenom for those who are not interested in content outside core experiences but want cheaper games at some point and even for those who are, allows later after release for fully packed editions or stuff like borderlands handsome jack collection, which is sold for 20 usd but has 200 usd of content.

3. Patxinco

Member Patxinco Riding a Shooting Star

Spain
    I'm not buying a launch game of this industry that's not coming from nintendo since a long time, always waiting for GOTY edition, seriously, it's like the companies want to let us dry...
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    ^This everytime, lol

4. foob

Member foob GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Loyal early-adopters always get screwed while the laggards pick up a heavily-discounted game with DLC included. The life of a cheap laggard: that's the life for me.

Raylight and netovsk like this.
  5. Raylight

Member Raylight Paranoid Temper

United States
    one step at a time friend. Capcom has been doing good im sure they will do this eventualy

6. hbound713

Newcomer hbound713 Member

Australia
    it's about time something like this happens
    there has been way too many cases of greedy developers cutting out content of games only to release them as DLC shortly after release
    having said that i don't really care if a developer chooses to create and release DLC for $$$ after the games release
    and for cosmetic items it's not really that big of a deal although i do believe that people should be able to unlock the cosmetics for free by grinding or whatever

7. flame1234

Member flame1234 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Any DLC is bad DLC, but if you have to do it, this is the way to go.
    I can't really come up with any arguments against cosmetic DLC, so maybe it's not so bad.
    Content DLC encourages "carving up" and is a revenue-raising strategy...to raise the price of the game so it's bad.
    DLC that enables cheating, such as money or exp, encourages poor game balancing and/or an uneven play field, so it's bad.

8. buckfush

Newcomer buckfush Newbie

Germany
    As long as they can stand to this... Why not? But Ubisoft promises so much things that they, at the end, can't handle due to industry-standard. :toot: