Homebrew UBER DEX

PokeTrader

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I Have an Idear.
What If You Design a .NDS application that reades pokemon Infomation from a file simliar to an XML.
this file would include all infomation on the pokemon form all games . NAME N.O.(all Games) type IV/EV effects moves (these could be a y or n on the lise e.g "MOVE 001=y" the program would then access the file with move list in it "Move 001 = fire blast" program would then display fire blast as a move for pokemon.) I Would be happy to help in the creation of a pokemon infomation file .PIF file format. e-mail if intersted in project [email protected]

some Pros
the creator of the program dousnt have to do all the data collection work.
people who want to help but arnt programers can by using an .exe (this would need to be created ) to make .PIF files.

NOTE:
I Am Not a programer but will help with data collection and PIF format If You want.

To sum up
when created this program would be updateble (by downloading new pokemon E.G. Black and White )
would run as an .nds on a flash cart
access pokemon infomation from files in a POKEMON folder in the ROOT Of the flash cart.

Im looking for programers intersted in helping me

Rember IM NOT A PROGRAMER

Xoo00o0o0o

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You already posted this in a thread that you reserected. It's probably not gonna happen. We already have pretty good pokedex homebrews. Don't complain because it not like what you want.

EDIT: 404th post

PokeTrader

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
this would be the definitive POKEMON ENCLOPEDIAD
i will make up some mock ups and exaples and post link soon

ore0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
not-a-single-fuck.jpg

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
PokeTrader said:
this would be the definitive POKEMON ENCLOPEDIAD
i will make up some mock ups and exaples and post link soon

You could always do it yourself...or at least learn to spell...

Why do you need this so badly anyway? You can't look at it while you play unless you have 2 DSs...and you're essentially asking for a port of the entirety of bulbapedia, which is HUGE...you may as well just go onto a computer really quickly - the DS is portable, you know.

monkat

Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
jurassicplayer said:
monkat said:
and you're essentially asking for a port of the entirety of bulbapedia, which is HUGE
That reminds me of that one pokedex app for the iPhone that got taken out because it was using Bulbapedia for the info and stuff without permission.

Well, no, you're glossing over a little bit.

I think it was taken down because it was using their information and servers, and the app cost money. So the dev was profiting off of a community effort, and causing bulbapedia to pay even more in server costs.

PokeTrader

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Firstly i have a ds and a dsi eith a R4 fore the ds so yes i could reed this UBERDEX On one and play on the other.
secondly i have been looking for dex for years and havent found a good one.( i have all pokeon gamews for DS) and some for GB GBC GBA
thirdly i apoligise for my spelling.

monkat

Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
PokeTrader said:

Beautiful...so much so that you inspired me to work on porting a database of information that's hundreds of gigabytes large to a handheld console that won't let you use it when necessary, and is only even remotely useful for a very small minority (you).

PokeTrader

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Im NOT A PROGRAMER
so i cant say what this would take up or how slow it would loade or anything els TENICAL LIKE THAT.

jurassic player i like youre mock up little bit (Pink for me)lol
one question how did you post that pic in youre posts

for the rest of you
I will try to make a better mock up(WITH Way more detailes and try to make estimit on size.)
check bck hear about 6ish Pm tommoro.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PokeTrader said:
Rember IM NOT A PROGRAMER

QUOTE(PokeTrader @ Jul 13 2010, 10:24 PM) WARNING im no artist

No offense intended, but what are you?

I don't think you have any clue what you're asking for.

We see dozens of far less grandiose concepts began and abandoned
due to difficulties in programming (among other problems).

I guess you can tell from the tone of the comments you've gotten
that a lot of people don't think that you're going to get very far with this,

If any of the people reading this thread are programmers who would like to be a part of this project, please PM PokeTrader about it.

EDIT:
Okay, after a talk with PokeTrader, I'll leave the thread open for a while.

PokeTrader

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank You For re opning this post.
hear is a basic list of my cerdentials (there will be no personal info in them eg adress ect)
Wone Award in IT 2008 For a web sit i designed.
helped fix printers and network isuses when network administrator was not there.
taught basic computer skills to year one and 2 students (THAT was very dificalt)
have hights grades in science and math (NOT ENGLISH)
i have a fully functining computer net work at home consisting of one PC and 3 laptops commected with wifi and ethernet cabbles allowing printing form any ware on the property aswell as file sharing on my private FTP server. as for art im better with my hands than with a computer mouse . i have hade one of my sulptures displayes in a galory as part of a school based project. i may post pics of it if people want.

and that is the most i will say (i keep whats private private)

I will make a Mutch better Mock up ready by about 6 pm tomorro till then i will keep of this bord and get on with the mock up.

NOTE:
im looking for programes to creat this for me (im not good at porgraming HELLO WORLD but i have been trying)
Please e-mail me if you are intersted in this project.

THANK YOU
Poke Trader

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Well considering your project idea...you probably don't want to put every pokemon as a separate... .pif file... because that is very wasteful in both space and time. Generally a large number of files really slows down the transfer speed which is very unhelpful to the user (slows down everything) and I haven't checked, but if each .pif file takes up a larger amount of disk space than it actually is (I don't really think this will happen, but once again I didn't check) then having that ton of files will start to pile up a fair bit of space.

Truth be told, the idea isn't super bad but it would have been a better idea to have it all in one file (maybe just a big xml file). Then again, of course I wouldn't think the idea was bad because I already suggested it before o.0
http://gbatemp.net/t222248-pokedexterds?vi...t&p=2784740

As for the coloration of my mockup, there was an original image (a screenshot of Benjif's PokeDexterDS) and I just shifted around some stuff to fit the things I could think of. There are some things that are obviously not there, but that was because I was also thinking of utilizing a title screen to shift between different modes (berrydex, etc.).

Possibly when you have a finished mockup, I may think differently, but from your current mockup, the layout would be extremely cluttered and not completely user-friendly. Generally it would be nice to have alternative buttons to L&R or at least touch screen buttons for them (since neither of my shoulder buttons work).

For inline images...there is a great button that shows an image icon in the window where you type your post...I always thought it was fairly explanatory...

saviorkross

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For GeneriDex, I ended up switching to a .txt file for each pokemon. It works fairly well as I use another program to generate them all for me. Might look into INI files as that's what your PFI file reminds me of.
tongue.gif

Example of what I'm using:
Code:
//1.txt Something similar to what I'm currently using.
Bulbasaur
Seed
Grass
Poison
2'04"
15.2lbs
Green
87.5%

etc...

As for xml:
wabsta said:
I ended up using XML, but with a shitload of pokémon, it was to slow.

I'm around if you need anything aside from actually programming it. More pokemon homebrew the merrier.
yaynds.gif

PokeTrader

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
just a note i know that large amounts of files being accesed will slow down file access times. as far as i can tell this is caused by a bottle neck in the Micro SD transfuring too the R4 or M3. It might be better to have one file. but i will keep to indivdule files for now. because it would allow others to contrubute lowering the work load in research.as for the .ini file extention it might work . also i have worked on the GUI(Graphic User Interface) to try to make it as easy and versitile as posible.
i will be intersted to hear youre comments tomorro when i finish this mock up. and as for help i will be happy to ecept help with pokemon infomation collection and Ordering in the future.Im copying some aspects form jurasicPlayers mock up.so i apoligise in advance and will remove them of credit you if you want.I have the idear to make an exe for pc that creats Pokemon infomation files. and want help programing that when i have come up with a certin fowmat for pokemon infomation files.
Note; i could collect .pif files and then combine them into a .DAT to make it one file.
AND im in AUST +8:00 so my 6pm might be diffrent form youre 6pm they should be ready in about 16Hours form now.

Thanks for the comments
Poke Trader

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    bassviolet @ bassviolet: uwu