Homebrew UAE-Wii Amiga emu (build request)

mowfax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Here's my latest build that sums up the last 10 revisions:
compiled r158

Changelog for UAE-Wii as always on googlecode.

Well I don't know how long it takes until r18 is finally released, so I made this:

How to compile UAE-Wii on linux before devkitPPC r18 gets released

1. If you have any leftovers from previous tries, delete them completely.

2. Create the following directories:

/opt/devkitPro/
/opt/devkitPro/devkitPPC
/opt/devkitPro/libogc
/opt/devkitPro/libogc/include
/opt/devkitPro/libogc/lib

(to avoid problems, set these on chmod 777)

3. Get devkitPPC r16 from Sourceforge
This has to go into "/opt/devkitPro/devkitPPC"

4. Go to the home dir of the user who should be able to compile. Open his ".bashrc" file and add the following lines:
export DEVKITPRO=/opt/devkitPro
export DEVKITPPC=$DEVKITPRO/devkitPPC

5. Get the latest libogc, either via SVN (svn-trunk) or GNU-Tarball

6. go to the libogc folder and compile it with "make"

7. Copy the "/lib/cube" and "/lib/wii" directory from your libogc folder into "/opt/devkitPro/libogc/lib"
Also, you have to copy the content of the "/gc" directory from your libogc folder into "/opt/devkitPro/libogc/include"

8. Now, before you can compile SDL-Wii you need a bunch of additional library files for your libogc-folder.
I made a package wich you have to untar into "/opt/devkitPro/" because it starts with "/libogc" inside the archive.

9. Download the SDL-Wii Sourcecode via SVN from the googlecode-trunk.

10. To compile SDL-Wii, you have to go inside each of the Folders "SDL", "SDL_gfx", "SDL_image", "SDL_mixer", "SDL_ttf" and do the following:
(SDL_net doesn't compile yet, so you can ignore this folder)
a) first do a "make"
b) if it compiled without errors, you have to type "make install" to get it into your "/opt/...../libogc" folder

11. At last you can download the UAE-Wii Source via SVN from the googlecode-trunk.

12. In your UAE-Wii folder, compile it with "make -f Makefile.wii"
When you have a build without errors, you can create a distribution package with "make -f Makefile.wii dist"

13. The "uae-bin.tar.gz" from the UAE-Wii folder now contains your build, ready to be extracted on an SD-Card. Finished!

An important notice: If you ever need to recompile something, make sure you do a "make clean" before. It wipes the leftovers of your last build and your next "make" starts from scratch. This is the case for libogc and SDL-Wii. For a UAE-Wii clean you have to type "make -f Makefile.wii clean" instead.

SimonKagstrom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks mowfax for the build instructions! The only improvement to the instructions I can think of is to do svn checkouts of libogc and SDL - there are changes to these at times which affect UAE, so they might have to be updated as well.

r17 uses GCC 4.4.0, so I presume r18 will do that as well. GCC 4.4 has a lot of interesting optimization improvements, see http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.4/changes.html for a description of these. If it will make UAE faster is pure speculation, but I'd be surprised if it turned any slower at least. r17 broke gettimeofday, and that is the reason it can't be used with UAE.

M-A-F-I-A

Trophies
Website
forum.fobby.net
XP
Country
Italy
@mowfax... you are my idol, finally i compile the last rev thx a lot
bow.gif

r163

EDIT:
Simon, it's impossible to point at emulator with a forwarder channel.

The forwarder work good with all apps but not work with UAE.

UAE-Wii forwarder not work

SimonKagstrom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've released version 2 today, download from http://uae-wii.googlecode.com

Those that read this thread will have to do some additional install fixes: Remove /uae/uaerc.user and /uae/uaerc.saved. These have changed behavior since the last few revisions, so you'll get strange behavior if these are kept around.

SimonKagstrom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sound is perfectly decent in most games I've tried. Some also work fine with no frameskip, but not all.

The Wii hardware is absolutely fast enough, but that's not the same thing as if the port will ever be perfect. So basically: I don't know, and your guess is as good as mine! :-)

F0L

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.pspuae.com
XP
Country
M-A-F-I-A said:
Simon, sorry for the question.

Will never be possible to have decent sound (no problem lag) with frameskip disabled?

EDIT:

Sorry for double post

We can get it faster, but I dont know as yet. I would have to try what I used to give PSPUAE a turbo cpu option.
I have had to do stuff to E-UAE your not supposed to, to get it running faster. As I said though, not sure if it will help like it helped PSPUAE.

MrTea

Trophies
XP
Country
M-A-F-I-A said:
Simon i do not know if you could find it useful, but the Magic Team some months ago have released the source UAE4Wii.

Link:

http://www.gouky.com/?menu_nav=NEWS

He's already posted on wiibrew" Gouky has ported UAE4All to the Wii as well, and has now also released the source code for it. You can get the source code here. Unfortunately, the differences between E-UAE and UAE4All are large, so it will be difficult to integrate changes from there."

@Simon: Do you think in the future usb hd loading of games would be possible for this emu?

MrTea

Trophies
XP
Country
SimonKagstrom said:
USB hd loading is one of those perfect tasks to take up :-). I'm sure it can be added though!

You little legend!

I'm v happy you (and Fol) are working on uae! Thanks for all your hard work on bringing the best computer ever to the wii!
cool.gif

SimonKagstrom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You should really try v2 instead - r158 contains a set of known bugs which you'll want to avoid!

And before you upgrade, see to it that uaerc.user and uaerc.saved is removed (the handling changed in a later revision). But good to hear that it works well for you, and thanks to FOL for doing most of the configurations that improves speed!

F0L

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.pspuae.com
XP
Country
To those, bangging on about UAE4ALL. STOP!!!!!

I would rather a fully configurable emulator. As apposed to UAE4ALL that is purely an A500 Emulator.

This is why people like PSPUAE, simply cause its as fast as UAE4ALL but has loads of features.

So to recap; unless you want a 68k emulator, lets not go on about UAE4ALL.

M-A-F-I-A

Trophies
Website
forum.fobby.net
XP
Country
Italy
F0L said:

I would rather a fully configurable emulator. As apposed to UAE4ALL that is purely an A500 Emulator.

This is why people like PSPUAE, simply cause its as fast as UAE4ALL but has loads of features.

What is your problem?
It is known that uae4all is more performance in little faster machines than just traditional UAE.
I think many users interests emulate amiga 500 instead of the whole amiga family chipset.
I spoke to UAE4Wii maybe just because after the release of source, could be useful imnplement piece of code for development of UAE Wii.

Don't Worry Be Happy
biggrin.gif

F0L

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.pspuae.com
XP
Country
M-A-F-I-A said:
F0L said:

What is your problem?
It is known that uae4all is more performance in little faster machines than just traditional UAE.
I think many users interests emulate amiga 500 instead of the whole amiga family chipset.
I spoke to UAE4Wii maybe just because after the release of source, could be useful imnplement piece of code for development of UAE Wii.

Don't Worry Be Happy
biggrin.gif

Yeh, didnt mean to come across like that. Its just I have seen to many people over the last 3 years bang on about speed and bitch about UAE4ALL being faster.

I dont think its worth it. As standard UAE4ALL is not faster than UAEWii.
If your talking about FAMEC, then yes its fast, but very unstable. Not much works with it.

SimonKagstrom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
M-A-F-I-A said:

The nice thing about the released source code is that you can now go and fix UAE4wii to do what you want. I've looked at the source code, and the source code differences between "upstream" UAE and UAE4all is huge - it's basically impossible to take things from one to the other.

Without really looking, I'd guess that the speed advantage from UAE4all really just comes from it being a less complete emulator. As I said sometime before, I'd guess that speed will improve a bit when devkitPPC r18 is released (with a better compiler).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/hackers-phish-finance-orgs-using-trojanized-minesw...