Gaming Trying to install Avira on my moms laptop.

Aijelsop

Question Asker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
She has Vista, and it says I should disable Windows Defender.

Is Windows Defender anti-virus or anti-spyware?

Should I disable it to install Avira? Is it worth it?

(She doesn't have current anti-virus, only Windows Defender)

Also, can I install Malwarebytes with it too? Or can I only use Windows Defender?

sweenish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MSE is much better than avira, and you also don't need to install anything with it. runs lightweight, is crazy effective, and doesn't get in the way.

i would only install microsoft security essentials. gooogle around if you don't believe me on this one.

Hatchetball

RepititionRedundancyRepitition
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aijelsop said:
Maybe... I might go with Avira tho. Microsoft products tend not to be the best...
Amen to that. AVG2011 Full + Online Armor. Never failed me. (AVG is horrible, OA does all the work)

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
sweenish said:
MSE is much better than avira, and you also don't need to install anything with it. runs lightweight, is crazy effective, and doesn't get in the way.

i would only install microsoft security essentials. gooogle around if you don't believe me on this one.

You obviously didn't Google around....check AVComparatives and you'll see that the Avira Antivir Premium suite is an excellent bit of software which outperforms MSE.

sweenish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you obviously don't get that one product is paid, and the other is not.

among free anti-virus solutions, MSE is one of the best. and it's very resource frugal, which avira is NOT.

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
sweenish said:

among free anti-virus solutions, MSE is one of the best. and it's very resource frugal, which avira is NOT.
avira has a free home version, with limited capabilities but still has the antivirus.

QUOTE(Aijelsop @ Mar 19 2011, 01:42 AM) How do I uninstall Windows Defender?
open control panel, then programs, uninstall a program and find the win defender. or you could use these: http://download.cnet.com/utilities-starter...rb_content;main

sweenish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Narayan said:
sweenish said:

avira has a free home version, with limited capabilities but still has the antivirus.

i'm well aware of the free version, but if you actually read the post i replied to, the free version was NOT referenced. avira free and avira premium perform differently, as should be expected.

Sausage Head

Lord Sausage LXIX
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
When opening the Uninstall/install window, there is a button on the left with 'Select Windows features' or something like that (I own a Dutch Windows 7 copy). Search For Windows Defender and uncheck it if it is in the list.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
sweenish said:
i'm well aware of the free version, but if you actually read the post i replied to, the free version was NOT referenced. avira free and avira premium perform differently, as should be expected.

No. The post you made said MSE was much better than Avira Antivir implying performance....no mention of pricing at all. Therefore you seem to be recommending a poorer performing utility to someone who already has the license.

sweenish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YOU were the one who brought up avira premium. not me. put your glasses on and read the thread again. when i mentioned it, i was referring to the free version. implicitly, but still. to assume i was comparing a paid anti-virus with a free one is your error, and not mine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: yeah, i'm Anyone, that's just not my alias here