• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Trump 2024 wants to bring firing squads back and televise them

Deleted member 586536

Returned shipping and mailing
OP
Trophies
XP
https://www.rollingstone.com/politi...h-penalty-firing-squad-executions-1234679447/

I just can't, holy fuck.

In at least one instance late last year, according to the third source, who has direct knowledge of the matter, Trump privately mused about the possibility of creating a flashy, government-backed video-ad campaign that would accompany a federal revival of these execution methods. In Trump’s vision, these videos would include footage from these new executions, if not from the exact moments of death. “The [former] president believes this would help put the fear of God into violent criminals,” this source says. “He wanted to do some of these [things] when he was in office, but for whatever reasons didn’t have the chance.”

Deleted member 586536

Returned shipping and mailing
OP
Trophies
XP
If I remember properly this is still a method of execution in Utah, and honestly I would take it over lethal injection. Chance for failure is much lower.
It's a fair argument to make on that front. But being telvized is another thing. But honestly the death pently shouldn't be allowed outright. We have 3 decades of research showing that we get at least 4% of executions wrong. And it's not a good idea to allow the state to choose who lives or dies. Because that can easily be used for more malicious purposes.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
It's a fair argument to make on that front. But being telvized is another thing. But honestly the death pently shouldn't be allowed outright. We have 3 decades of research showing that we get at least 4% of executions wrong. And it's not a good idea to allow the state to choose who lives or dies. Because that can easily be used for more malicious purposes.
Televised or not, yeah, I think it's just sad we're still discussing such a barbaric thing in 2023 that isn't even an effective deterrent. The US should rather evolve in that sense to sign the UDUR - that itself created.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Execution doesn't deter crime and it's often more expensive than life in prison

It made sense at a time in which you couldn't afford to place someone in prison forever, and at a time when escapes were common. In the current time life in prison is enough.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
personally i hate biting my tongue because of "the men in shades pretty sure the SS will be out of a job if he goes full autocrat (and if allowed to do so) also pretty sure televising it would fall under cruel and unusial punishment Trials sure but not death sentances
Post automatically merged:

I mean if I got the death penalty, I'd choose firing squad over lethal injection, hanging, or the chair.
trust me they wont get a chance with me using a WWII trick (cyanide capsule) honestly many high profile cases the defenants are killing themselves (some even in the middle of the trial)

Last edited by chrisrlink,

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the idea is to make criminals afraid of crime, then I can't think of a dumber idea. Hey criminals, did you know that you can be given a death penalty, and being killed sucks and is permanent, bet you'll think twice about committing that murder now. Because people that commit such heinous crimes are so well known for how many steps ahead they're thinking when they commit their crime.

Reactions: Chaoticus

Cylent1

Community Smart Ass!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a fair argument to make on that front. But being telvized is another thing.
No different than when they used to hang people in public square. the point is to ridicule them and their families.
People are no longer allowed to drink out of their enemy's skulls anymore and thats what is wrong with this world.

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure but, millions will still vote for him meaning that they'd at minimum tolerate that.

[plays the song]

♫ FUQ Donald Trump ! FUQ Donald Trump ! ♫

• Haha
Reactions: WalterSlovotsky

VGSounds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
o.o this place has a politics section? Well, I guess I wouldn't know since I'm not here that often because of my schedule and work.

Reactions: Cylent1

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Acceptable only if he volunteers to be the first one put against the wall.
For what crime? Hurting your precious feelings? After 6 six years and the bureaucracy still hasn't been able to pin anything on him. It is entertaining to watch them try and fail over and over and over again. Bonus is watching you losers keeping saying how the walls are closing in and this is the beginning of the end and then get mad when nothing happens. The best part is that you all fall for it every time.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Public executions should never happen. No one should see somebody else die, it's not entertainment. Besides, life imprisonment is a harsher punishment than death, in my opinion. And it can be reversed if the accused is proven innocent later on, usually with substantial financial compensation for the undeserved years spent in prison.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol