Transfer emuNAND to another SD card. Working on New3DS!

EDIT: The emuNAND Tool has been updated and now works again!

Since right now the emuNAND Tool doesn't work, I've come up with a workaround:

Programs you will need:
Both these programs are free.

PLEASE NOTE: Doing the following method will make a 1:1 copy of the source SD card and put it on the target SD card. It will transfer everything, not just emuNAND.

How to:
  1. Plug the source SD card into your PC, this is the card that you want to transfer emuNAND from.
  2. Run USB Image Tool
  3. Click on the SD card and then "Backup"
  4. Remove the source SD Card and replace it with the target SD Card.
  5. Click on the new SD card, locate the backup image and then "Restore"
  6. Run EaseUS Partition Master and click on "EaseUS Partition Master Free"
  7. Right click on the SD card's partition with data on it, it should be in between two Unallocated partitions and choose "Resize/Move Partition"
  8. Click on the MIDDLE PARTITION, the one that has the data on it and expand it TO THE RIGHT (VERY IMPORTANT)
  9. Click OK
  10. Click Apply on the top left, then OK
  11. Done!
Important Information:
Currently with Gateway 3.1.0 there's a (visual?)bug with higher capacity microSD cards. When running emuNAND it doesn't show the "GW3D" in settings, before the version number telling you if you're in emuNAND or not, because of this its very risky to update emuNAND.
With my guide you can use a 4gb microSD card (where the visual bug doesn't happen) to format emuNAND, update to the latest firmware and transfer it onto a higher capacity microSD card.

Don't panic! - When the transfer is complete and you run the updated emuNAND on your new 3ds it still wont show the "GW3D" prefix before the version number. It'll just say 9.5.0-22E or something along those lines.

Any questions, feel free to ask :)

Drak0rex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as I know, it should be possible. But I don't have a N3DS or a 128GB card to test with. I know that only a rather small number of cards are listed as "officially supported", though that just means the ones that Nintendo has done thorough testing on. You were having issues earlier, so I'd be hesitant to recommend it to someone. It could be an issue with the SDXC instead of the SDHC cards. Unfortunately, I don't have enough information to be able to say.
I wish a few people with varying brands of MSD cards and N3DS could test and give their results. I haven't been able to use my N3DS the way I want to in months. :(

Jt23738

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a old 3ds on 9.9 emunand and a new 3ds xl on 9.2 emunand, can I transfer all my eshop games and cias to the n3dsxl?

Pleb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you transfer both the emuNand partition and the contents of the FAT32 partition, you should have all your CIAs present and functioning. It worked perfectly fine for me upgrading from the 4GB included card to a 32GB card.

Yea I managed to get everything in the end :D

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know how much space the SD "image" take by using USB Image Tool ? Say, 64GB which only used less than 10GB.

Zeriel

Squid Kid
Trophies
XP
Country
@Zaazu
Thanks for the guide!
I have a 64GB MicroSD and installing all those CIAs
again if my card breaks would kill me. Thanks!

Last edited by Zeriel,

IronJinn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried this on my 9.0 n3dsxl, and switched to a 32gb card from an 8gb, it worked, but as soon as I put in a new cia in the sd root reinand no longer boots up.
I mean I can still go to the ds profile and see the logo, and press start prompt but when I do that it just takes me back to sysnand.
my 8gb card still works just fine, so I'm not too sure whats going on here, any and all help would be very much appreciated.

Zeriel

Squid Kid
Trophies
XP
Country
I tried this on my 9.0 n3dsxl, and switched to a 32gb card from an 8gb, it worked, but as soon as I put in a new cia in the sd root reinand no longer boots up.
I mean I can still go to the ds profile and see the logo, and press start prompt but when I do that it just takes me back to sysnand.
my 8gb card still works just fine, so I'm not too sure whats going on here, any and all help would be very much appreciated.

Are you sure you're not on Emunand? change the wallpaper color, because they can look exactly the same with the default settings

IronJinn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure you're not on Emunand? change the wallpaper color, because they can look exactly the same with the default settings
when I first set up Emunand I changed my sysnand theme to red, and emunand to black, it's on the red theme, and no games or homebrew is showing.

Zeriel

Squid Kid
Trophies
XP
Country
when I first set up Emunand I changed my sysnand theme to red, and emunand to black, it's on the red theme, and no games or homebrew is showing.

Did you follow all the instructions when copying the partitions over? There was one you had to move to the right, If the Emunand partition is in the wrong location on the MicroSD that could be the cause

75mak

Trophies
XP
Country
on n3ds emunand 9.5 sysnand 9.0

i want to backup my emunand just in case i get the update nag. and want to restore.

am i better of using this method to back or should i use emunand tool?

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried to back up 32GB card to transfer to 64GB. Takes ages, and the whole 32GB was backed up, even though there's only around 10GB used.

Lyomak

Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
Colombia
Does this work using the Gateway mode on the DSTWO Plus? I don't know if is the same tool or if it has slight differences with the original.

Last edited by Lyomak,

bigcookie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe the DSTWO creates the emunand partition the same way a Gateway does.
Anyways the method in the OP is outdated and was created as a workaround since emunandtool wasn't working at the time. It's working again now, so you should try that first.
If for some reason DSTWO doesn't create the emunand partition the same way, emunandtool won't detect it as a valid emunand partition and will fail.

Ripper00420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is what I would do...

1. Backup emunand with- https://gbatemp.net/threads/emunand-tool-release-and-support-thread.359239/

2. Format any size SD card with this-http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1529

3. Use this program, not to inject emunand but FORMAT and make sure you select the right version system Old/New 3DS- https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-3ds-multi-emunand-creator.381603/
Be sure to point it to your emunand.bin for the format and done. Copy your files and your good.

Not doing this to be rude, just another solution.

Last edited by Ripper00420,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsG-jJcrlr0