socram8888

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
orca.pet
XP
Country
Spain
I just finished going through all my legit US/Jpn import disks with Tonyhax on my PS2... there were two that wouldn't boot at all (NTSC-U Xenogears, and NTSC-J Bust a Move, aka Bust a Groove), and one that hangs on a loading screen (NTSC-J Einhander). Just goes to show that even some legit disks are problematic.
I thought it was very strange that Bust a Move wouldn't run when I'd had no problems running it's sequel (which I was never able to do on my modded PS1 due to its modchip detection).

On a side note; I've corrected (for the most part) the resolution issues I was having by running GSM and setting output mode to PS1 NTSC @60hz. While it screws up the browser (making launching my Cool Boarders 4 entrypoint awkward), it sorts out the resolution of any NTSC PS1 game I launch with Tonyhax... with a few exceptions... NTSC-U Vagrant Story has an odd resolution for it's title screen, so you can't see any of the selections, and NTSC-J Dead or Alive seems to line double in game - seemingly an interlace vs progressive issue.
PS2s have some issues when booting certain games. In short, in PS1 mode the GPU is emulated using the EE, and this EE applies some per-game patches. As tonyhax uses an unsanctioned way of loading games, the EE is never told it needs to load new settings for the new game, and thus the old one's settings might not be fully compatible.

That also affects the video issues. In fact, if you try with tonyhax v1.3.1 it's highly likely you are gonna experience the same issues, even though tonyhax v1.3.1 uses the exact video settings a stock PS1 BIOS uses, and thus leaves the game with the video settings it's expecting as if had been booted through the BIOS.

Reactions: Elbart and duwen

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
PS2s have some issues when booting certain games. In short, in PS1 mode the GPU is emulated using the EE, and this EE applies some per-game patches. As tonyhax uses an unsanctioned way of loading games, the EE is never told it needs to load new settings for the new game, and thus the old one's settings might not be fully compatible.

That also affects the video issues. In fact, if you try with tonyhax v1.3.1 it's highly likely you are gonna experience the same issues, even though tonyhax v1.3.1 uses the exact video settings a stock PS1 BIOS uses, and thus leaves the game with the video settings it's expecting as if had been booted through the BIOS.
Yeah, I found that.
It's no biggie to just launch PS1VModeNeg before booting the entrypoint disk.

Although I found that some PAL games (launched without PS1VModeNeg) initially also display 'windowed' at the top of the screen but seem to correct themselves after getting to a title screen/menu.

mugichan990

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also have the same problem as you @bobfacemoo. Tried a bunch of different burn speeds with imgburn, it just won't work. Stuck at Initializing CD. I'm using Verbatim Media. The only thing i haven't tried is another burner program. Ps2 model is 30001, if i use a original disk it works.

EDIT : Lol it's working now, i think it has to do with the ps2 that can't read ps1 discs well. I legit inserted 2 disks at the same time and it worked.....

Last edited by mugichan990,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/sQK1btk8ZUs?si=Z4p2kuM_7fXV7_Ps