Tiramisu and loaders - Possible GUIs ? Icon Carousel ? Sorting options ?

WiiFanAix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi everybody, I hope this makes some sense so please bear with me.

I'm getting ready to hack my white Wii U with Tiramisu, following what seems to be the latest 2022 tutorial.
I already have everything I need (only waiting for the USB Y cable to arrive), so I'm pretty confident that I won't run into any issues.

I am planning to have both Wii U and Wii games on the same drive. For that, like said in the tutorial, I've already converted all the Wii games from WBFS to WUP packages with TecoMoon's WiiVC Injector. Everything is ready to be installed via the SD card. At the end of the process, I will have all my games, Wii U and Wii, installed into a 500 MB 2.5" USB hard drive. The tutorial says I need to use WUP Installer GX2 for that, and it looks pretty straightforward.

Now to launch all those games, I would like something better than the default tile screen. I'd love a nice GUI such as the 3D Icon Carousel from Loadiine GX2. That GUI looks perfect for me, I even like it more than the Cover Carousel.

mpv-shot0001.jpg

Unfortunately Loadiine GX2 is deprecated and people advise against using it, so I would need a more recent solution that would work with Tiramisu and WUP Installer GX2. Does such solution exist ?

There is this thread about Launchiine but it doesn't seem ready yet, and I have yet to see its GUI.

One more question : with a large number of games (let's say 50), the carousel becomes quite large and messy. I'd like to organize my games either on different screens or different folders. In that case, would it be possible to have one icon carousel per screen or per folder ? How would that work ?

Thank you.

Last edited by WiiFanAix,

WiiFanAix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm sorry but I just don't get why nobody has answered this since feb. 20. And Joe88's post isn't helping.
I have asked a legitimate question, and I'd love to get some insights to improve my understanding of the Wii U.

So let me get this right :
  • Loadiine had a stupendous replacement GUI. Several GUIs actually.
  • Years later, Loadiine is said to be obsolete.
  • Now we have Tiramisu and WUP Instaler GX2, which are amazing.
  • BUT we don't have a replacement GUI anymore, only the Wii U menu.
Does somebody see the problem ?
To me something becomes obsolete only when something better arises. So where is the better GUI now ?
Launchiine looks promising, but it's not ready yet for a daily usage.

Der_Blockbuster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm sorry but I just don't get why nobody has answered this since feb. 20. And Joe88's post isn't helping.
I have asked a legitimate question, and I'd love to get some insights to improve my understanding of the Wii U.

So let me get this right :
  • Loadiine had a stupendous replacement GUI. Several GUIs actually.
  • Years later, Loadiine is said to be obsolete.
  • Now we have Tiramisu and WUP Instaler GX2, which are amazing.
  • BUT we don't have a replacement GUI anymore, only the Wii U menu.
Does somebody see the problem ?
To me something becomes obsolete only when something better arises. So where is the better GUI now ?
Launchiine looks promising, but it's not ready yet for a daily usage.
I think you should maybe help developing this or start from scratch.
You should maybe reconsider your attitude towards people doing this in their free time with no cost.
They owe nothing and can literally do what they want.
Sentences like "Where is the better GUI now?", you behave like they promised you they will do it and didnt.
Problems for you are not problems for other people. You should maybe think why the loadiine gui existed in the first place. Probably because back then it wasn't possible to install them directly.
Apparently online play, full compatibillity and faster speeds is not good enough to call it "better".
Like juding from your other posts:
Someone has yet to come with a foolproof tutorial on this. That's a bit sad in 2022.

Maybe rephrase it like: It would be nice if someone can make a foolproof tutorial in this.

You might not even notice it, thats why I'm calling it out, I don't think you will make friends like this.

Short rant because entitled people tilt me hard.

WiiFanAix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I see where the misunderstanding comes from, but I think you really missed my point.
I am not complaining about the lack of an alternative GUI. Not at all.

I simply started this topic to ask IF there was one, because I'm a Wii U newbie that has lots of things to learn. I was hoping for somebody to explain the current solutions, IF there are any (which I still don't know).

What I don't understand is people saying that Loadiine is obsolete, when a suitable replacement hasn't been made yet.
That's what bothers me. If there's no replacement yet, then it can't be obsolete. Can it ?

Launchiine can take all the time it needs, and that's fine by me. I would never ask a dev to hurry up, that's ridiculous. Again, I'm fine with the current state of my Wii U. I'm just asking questions, and I was a bit puzzled that nobody answered this topic since feb. 20.

As for rephrasing my other post, sorry but I'm happy with my current wording. I don't know about your own knowledge of english language, but FYI saying "someone has yet to come with..." doesn't mean that "someone HAS TO DO IT". It just states factually that nobody has done it yet but it may happen in the future, that's all. It's a common expression and it's not aggressive in any way. This link may help: https://ygdp.yale.edu/phenomena/have-yet-to

Obviously nobody is entitled to anything. I feel ridiculous to have to state this in 2022, but here goes.

Am I being clearer now ?

Last edited by WiiFanAix,

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just use Loadiine or wait to see if Launchiine ever progresses beyond its initial buggy release. Those are your only alternate gui loader options for the Wii U at this time.

Personally, I enjoy my custom wara wara plaza too much to want to lose that, especially since part of Pretendo aims to bring back the automatically updating wara wara plaza.

Norris

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want lauchiine to be done sooner donate they do this for FREE for US the best thing to help devolopment speed is buy them a coffee

Reactions: WiiFanAix

liveswired

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi everybody, I hope this makes some sense so please bear with me.

I'm getting ready to hack my white Wii U with Tiramisu, following what seems to be the latest 2022 tutorial.
I already have everything I need (only waiting for the USB Y cable to arrive), so I'm pretty confident that I won't run into any issues.

I am planning to have both Wii U and Wii games on the same drive. For that, like said in the tutorial, I've already converted all the Wii games from WBFS to WUP packages with TecoMoon's WiiVC Injector. Everything is ready to be installed via the SD card. At the end of the process, I will have all my games, Wii U and Wii, installed into a 500 MB 2.5" USB hard drive. The tutorial says I need to use WUP Installer GX2 for that, and it looks pretty straightforward.

Now to launch all those games, I would like something better than the default tile screen. I'd love a nice GUI such as the 3D Icon Carousel from Loadiine GX2. That GUI looks perfect for me, I even like it more than the Cover Carousel.

View attachment 298895

Unfortunately Loadiine GX2 is deprecated and people advise against using it, so I would need a more recent solution that would work with Tiramisu and WUP Installer GX2. Does such solution exist ?

There is this thread about Launchiine but it doesn't seem ready yet, and I have yet to see its GUI.

One more question : with a large number of games (let's say 50), the carousel becomes quite large and messy. I'd like to organize my games either on different screens or different folders. In that case, would it be possible to have one icon carousel per screen or per folder ? How would that work ?

Thank you.
Each to their own, I'm personally not a big fan of the Loadiine UI, has an awful font choice also.

The official Wii U OS menu is slick as it is, change the theme colors on it, problem solved :)

Reactions: WiiFanAix

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
First world problem. The Loadiine solution came out first and was very appreciated for its time, but it was a messy hack, slow loading, and a bit lacking in compatibility. Then came the Brazilian method (it must have an official name, but I haven't checked) which was a massive improvement in speed and compatibility (100%). No wonder why Loadiine was left behind. It's still ok if you want to launch small games like virtual console from the SD card. But for everything else, USB loading is the way to go. Also, you have to realise that you are asking for homebrew development on a console one generation behind the current one. Most devs would rather work on this generation (Switch) because that's what most people use. As was mentioned, if you want specific homebrew developed for the Wii U, then support the devs directly.

WiiFanAix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks to all of you for giving me a better understanding of Loadiine's strengths and limitations, which I didn't know when I started this topic. My initial question was merely about a GUI. If Loadiine has a nice UI but so many limitations, then I understand it may not be a suitable solution right now except for small games.

I'm currently happy with my Wii U menu (thank God we can make folders !) and all my games on USB. Works perfectly.

I'll gladly wait for Launchiine, if it ever becomes stable one day, hoping that it will have a nice UI. No hurry here. And yes, supporting the devs is always a good thing.

Thanks again.

WiiFanAix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's OK guys, no big deal and no offense taken. @ital , thanks for your support, much appreciated. :)

I hope to be able to learn here, and then maybe help others.

Just keep in mind that two months ago I didn't even know I was going to buy a Wii U. Wifey and I just decided it would be good for us to do more stuff together at home, and gaming seemed like a good option (neither of us are real gamers, but we like some gentle gaming, possibily cooperative rather than competitive). After pondering the Switch, we decided that the Wii U was a better option for us. Like, MUCH better (and cheaper). We don't need portability and 1080p is enough for us. Plus native Wii compatibility is a nice plus (one of my exes had a Wii so I played a bit 12 years ago).

Then being a little geeky around the edges, of course I got hooked on the whole softmod thing: successfully installed Tiramisu, put all our Wii U and Wii games on USB (so much easier than inserting/ejecting disks ! :bow:), and I also started wondering about a nice GUI to manage everything.

I thought such UI existed, because Loadiine seemed to have a nice UI, so I told myself "Loadiine's UI was years ago, surely in 2022 there must be something better, right ? :unsure:". Turns out there isn't yet, and that's FINE by me. :)Launchiine devs can take all the time they want. If it works someday, all the better. If not, it's OK too. That would only be the cherry on top anyway. I'm really happy with what we have right now. :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: On a bad day you hear I missed my period +2