THQ: 3DS will "really combat piracy"

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
MFDC12 said:
dogman said:
DeMoN said:
The more they claim for it to be unhackable, the more the hackers will try to hack it. So in the end, it will probably still work out in our favor.
What about the PS3?

You cant compare a ds to a ps3 though. Microsdhc's are cheap, blank blurays aren't. Plus ps3 games are big. This is why people arent really interested in hacking the ps3
Well...

Besides it has a reasonable protection (Unlike the Xbox360 and especially the Wii) it's hacked. Key is there, just people need to start and learn about the PS3 commands or somehow manage to create a legal SDK
tongue.gif

But like seriously:
The PS3 is AFAIK the only console of the big 3 (Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony) with a limited possibility to run program's at limited speed.
(As if it would be full PS3 speed it would be dangerous to let people use OtherOS, hacking side that is.)
That's one of the common reasons the PS3 also didn't got hacked a little earlier.

As many 'pirates' forget, most of the known hackers ain't 'Pirating' their games. But just do it for the Homebrew ability and may also the Title of hacking it and for fun.
And as there hackers didn't have a big enough reason to get through a reasonable protection, because of the hassle. They'd be fine with OtherOS.

Now OtherOS is removed, I see (Thanks to geohot's OtherOS exploit to dump lv1 ps3, OtherOS is also removed because the afraid Sony dev's we amusse.) I see more process, thanks to the keys also I guess. Ofcourse, it now all might be the first step to run a Hello World txt based program. But after that just don't think we won't see Backup loaders / USB/HDD loaders because the games are that large. Besides Blu Ray discs are still way cheaper than buying a disc with 7,000 to 25/50-000 of bytes on it.

Pirating has four reasons for me:
1. Money is playing a big roll yes.
2. Multipe games in one, love it.
3. Testing games before buying, I actually buy some games if I think they;re good and want to support the dev's. (And if I have the money for it.)
4. It's better for the environment.
yaynds.gif

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Is R4 really that famous ? I'm a sort of newbie in the world of NDS hacking (had my first cart 3 yrs. ago)... At that time, I've heard a lot about Supercard but not much about R4 :/

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@MFDC12

3DS games are going to be able to hold a lot more data than old DS games. 2GB is the max capacity, and a 2GB microSD still costs a lot more than a single bluray disk. Not that all developers will tap that much capacity, but you're going to get a lot fewer 3DS games on a single microSD than you could with DS roms.

As for this article, i can't comment on the statement from THQ themselves, but i really don't deny the probability of the 3DS being hard as hell to hack. DSi has still yet to be hacked into, one can only assume that Nintendo is planning even more anti hacking features for 3DS. I think it will take more than a week to hack it unless some miracle exploit is found suddenly in a launch game or something. As it is though, it will take more than just a hack to get fully working flashcards (which have to be developed and mass manufactured). Then you have new firmware updates introduced with DSi (and will be increased with 3DS). So even with a hack and flashcard, you'd have to deal with a constant stream of mandatory firmware updates trying to block you out...

Nothing is unhackable. But nowadays, we have to deal with more aggressive companies trying to patch the hacks. I do think there will be more interest in hacking the 3DS though, than there was with the DSi. At this point though, it's useless to speculate on what will happen. There could very well be a glaring exploit that unlocks everything for all we know.

keyjin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ritsuki said:
Is R4 really that famous ? I'm a sort of newbie in the world of NDS hacking (had my first cart 3 yrs. ago)... At that time, I've heard a lot about Supercard but not much about R4 :/

It's famous because it was the first ds flash cart released.
yaynds.gif

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
R4 was one of the first slot 1 flashcards that didn't require a passme or firmware flash, but it was not the first DS flashcard. There were slot 2 solutions early on that came far before the R4. Ones that would use the GBA slot, often in conjugation with a slot 1 flashme card to trick it into booting in DS mode.

R4 was great though because it was easy. So easy a child can do it (although it has really dumbed down the piracy scene and introduced a lot of dumb people who can't even figure out how to write a firmware file to a microsd). But all things considered, you just need the R4 and your storage, no risking bricking your DS by shorting out a connector to flash it (and voiding your warranty). And no buying multiple extremely expensive devices.

ace90099

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure it will get hacked, if its not possible on launch eventually a game will come out that has a glitch in it and it will get hacked then. I doubt devs for DS games are going to care that much about stability and security when they're releasing game like, "whinny the pooh meets the wonder twin in 3D!"
smile.gif

and about firmware updates being a problem. they are only a problem if they are forced or you have a damn good reason to update. so unless Nintendo is planing on-card updates or some type of worth while online feature like an app store firmware updates will not be an issue. and a 8gb or 16gb mircosd card is a much better investment then purchasing games like the one mentioned above so unless there is going to be more than 2gb per 3DS game then flashcarts will still be a worth while product. just like a 16gb memory stick is a worth while investment for a psp. even though some iso's are more than a gig.

worst case scenario will be flashcart firmware containing copywrited data, like the DSi ones do.

and about the PS3 not being hacked yet. there is no reason to, the only reason people wanted the PS3 hacked was to unlock OtherOS's full potential to run fast good homebrew and linux but now with OOS removed there is no reason to, i own two PS3 and I use them more to watch blurays then to play games and i only own one blu ray movie:). i play most games on my xboxes so i can test it first or because i don't have the 60$ for the ps3 version. there are only like 5-6 games worth downloading for PS3 so why bother hacking it, the hacker would spend three times that much money trying to hack the system then just buying the games he or she wants for it.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
granville said:
As for this article, i can't comment on the statement from THQ themselves, but i really don't deny the probability of the 3DS being hard as hell to hack. DSi has still yet to be hacked into

Hasn't it, though? Granted, it hasn't and won't be released due to having no real purpose, but someone managed it, at least... it's not as if it's truly impossible; nor will the 3DS be. With the 3DS, though, there isn't really an option not to release a crack when one is found. The scene can and did survive without a public DSi crack, but I don't see that it would survive when the 3DS has become the dominant handheld, and a crack exists but hasn't been released. Everything would pretty much end right there. Also, DS flashcarts have many legitimate uses and ensure that fair use of legitimately purhcased content by the consumer is possible. That won't be the case for the 3DS until there's a crack.

iYoshi-

Trophies
XP
Country
MeleeMaster500 said:
Perhaps THQ should actually publish a good game for the DS instead of crap movie/cartoon-based tie-in products marketed to retarded parents who buy crap for their children.

if anything, no one is pirating their games
True that
The 3ds will be cracked, just give it some time
smileipb2.png

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When i'm referring to a hack, i mean one that anyone can make use of. I mean, sure people have hacked DSi somewhat, but that knowledge remains in the hands of the people who did it. No one else has been able to do it and they never released their information. I know that it has been hacked, but in a way, it doesn't matter. It's kind of like when someone makes an application to do a certain thing yet no one else can access it by any means. The hack becomes rather worthless once you think about it.

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Whether it be time (Anti Piracy), space (Anti Piracy) or alternate realities (Anti Piracy), they mean nothing to us.
We will pierce the paths and methods you've chosen (Nintendo). That is who we are, The Dai-Gurren Brigade!! (Hackers)
HELL YEAH!! GURREEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNN LAGAAAAAAAAAANNN!

Princess Rozalin

†GBAtemp Official Princess Of Roses†
Trophies
Website
z10.invisionfree.com
XP
Country
United States
Raika said:
QUOTE said:
Whether it be time (Anti Piracy), space (Anti Piracy) or alternate realities (Anti Piracy), they mean nothing to us.
We will pierce the paths and methods you've chosen (Nintendo). That is who we are, The Dai-Gurren Brigade!! (Hackers)
HELL YEAH!! GURREEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNN LAGAAAAAAAAAANNN!
LOL and Nintedo trying to stop Piracy yeah right Hackers will Figure out how to hack it soon.I can imagine the Face oof Nintedo if they do.

PS: LOL Costello Made Me do it XD

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
boudincaca said:
QUOTE said:
"I actually asked Nintendo to explain the technology and they said it's very difficult to do so because it's so sophisticated,"

A girl is tethered to the 3DS, if you buy a flashcart she immediately break it.
lol, that could really work.

Overman1977

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
granville said:
@MFDC12

3DS games are going to be able to hold a lot more data than old DS games. 2GB is the max capacity, and a 2GB microSD still costs a lot more than a single bluray disk. Not that all developers will tap that much capacity, but you're going to get a lot fewer 3DS games on a single microSD than you could with DS roms.

http://gizmodo.com/5125341/new-sdxc-memory...-2tb-capacities

Problem solved.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
boudincaca said:
QUOTE said:
"I actually asked Nintendo to explain the technology and they said it's very difficult to do so because it's so sophisticated,"

If that was the case, I wouldn't be playing with the 3DS at all anyway.
smileipb2.png

Being Nintendo, they'll probably get away with good sales even if the system never gets hacked. But I know for a fact that there are many hardcore pirates (or leeches, if you will) that won't bother with the 3DS at all if they can't pirate or play homebrew on it. I'm one of them.

No hax, no buy. No kidding.

I feel it's why the PS3 didn't sell so well......because it's not hacked. Same thing....

Overman1977

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I for one, will buy the 3DS whether it gets hacked quickly or not....I just won't dive headlong into expensive games like I did when I first got my DSL. I'll take it slow this time, buying one or two, and not buying other till I conquer them.

I so hope it gets hacked in a timely fashion( at least for DS mode).

Gnargle

The day I set a profile picture is the day I die
Trophies
XP
Country
Rayder said:
boudincaca said:
QUOTE said:

If that was the case, I wouldn't be playing with the 3DS at all anyway.
smileipb2.png

Being Nintendo, they'll probably get away with good sales even if the system never gets hacked. But I know for a fact that there are many hardcore pirates (or leeches, if you will) that won't bother with the 3DS at all if they can't pirate or play homebrew on it. I'm one of them.

No hax, no buy. No kidding.

I feel it's why the PS3 didn't sell so well......because it's not hacked. Same thing....
You're a moderator and you freely admit to being a hardcore pirate?
Kudos, bro.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :cry: You arent'? :cry:
    [tells my mom not to send you anymore Christmas presents] :evil: :rofl2: :tpi:
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im a minor
    So. I'm a Major
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im under 18
    I'm waaaaaaaaaay over 18. lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    that makes you a pedo
    Pedo = 1. child 2. boy 3. ? I forgot. But I wish I were still a "Boy" :sad::cry::cry::cry:
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i meant simping over someone under 18 while you are over 18 makes you a pedophile
    And when did I "simp" you?
    Just go make me the darn coffee :angry:
    Tea?
    LoL lmao
    L8er dude. going to watch YT's on the Ukraine/ruskie war.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi,tbh i think im
    not interested in whats going on irl
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    tomorrow's memorial day, so i've been looking for a playlist, but it's all just country and alternative rock
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, memorial day for who?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    why the hell can't i find one with a song about the soldiers who died in battle, the very reason we celebrate
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Bake them a cake :ninja:
    +1
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    I can change my name back tomorrow
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, what will your new username be?
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    My original one
    +1
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Stayin inside for memorial day. Just like other holidays, most people dont care or think about the actual reasons behind it. For most it's just another reason to get shit faced drunk and spout off hyper-patriotic nonsense. The Trumpers around here going to be out in full force with their trucks and guns and flags making noise all over town. Hard pass.
    +1
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Stayin inside for memorial day. Just like other holidays, most people dont care or think about... +1