This 2x speed video playback controversy.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Despite DVD players and computer players having it for years it seems Netflix's recent (2 months is recent) trial of a 1.5x playback option was a bit controversial among various people, be they critics, directors, actors or editors, and a few randoms as well. Some even going so far as to say they will take active measures to stop it (confident they will win even) should the company pursue it.

Now there is something to be said as the key to good comedy has long been said to be timing, and given that joke itself is normally delivered with a pregnant pause that was absent in text there is something to be said for that one. I imagine there are also works that benefit far more from their timing, music tending to have timing as a fairly key concept.

On the other hand my screen, my rules. This is why we mod games, have sauces for food, sew badges onto clothes, put up shelves in our houses, fiddle with vehicles, reread chapters of books, listen to CDs on random (or just rip tracks you like/buy singles, if I was not an old man I might well also be doing that online playlist thing)... many times right off the hop, to say nothing or rereading chapters of a book or having a bookmark.

Likewise I have rarely seen screens with proper colour calibration (if someone would not consider releasing something without it today then what goes if it goes the other way), audio engineers have long held that mastering something to sound good on a job site radio is the gold standard rather than sounding good on a 1:1 sound replication in a anechoic chamber, pause buttons are just as deleterious to flow as anything else, few people can gain any kind of total immersion in a work if they are not in the dark and looking at a relatively large occupation of their visual field... If I watch with sound off but subs on?

Others have said if it is the sort of work you feel compelled to consume generally for fun (rewatching or scanning for clips for a review might be acceptable) at more than intended speed you should skip it as it is a bad work. On the flip side what if it allows a work to be enjoyed where it might not have before?

Some also wondered if it was generally bad as it would encourage more binge watching or some other negative sounding phrase.

Thoughts here? Do you watch/listen to things at higher or lower rates than "intended"? In my case I watch or listen to just about everything at 2x speed, but that is mainly because I have not yet bothered to implement something like the following into my general video playback options. I would find myself very much on the "my screen, my rules, you do you and it is not a bad thing" side of the equation, it might make some comparative analysis more difficult but no more so than anything else.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I use 1.5x speed on YouTube occasionally, but find it's often hard to understand people (that can sometimes be the case at 1x speed too) especially as I'm not a native English speaker.
I suppose 1.5x speed might make some poorly paced/slow going TV shows more bearable. But for most things, I'd probably prefer it off, as it would throw off the already good pacing. And for anything with action scenes, higher speed would just make things look silly.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: damn I think I cant