Hardware Thinking of buying a new video card.

What would be the best way to go?

• Stick with the 8500 GT.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Overclock the 8500 GT.

• Buy an 8600 GT.

• Buy an 8600 GTS.

• Buy an 8800 GT.

• Buy an 8800 GTS320.

• Buy an 8800 GTS.

• Buy an 8800 GTX.

• Buy an 8800 Ultra.

• Wait until the 9x00 series comes out.

• Screw nVidia. Get an ATI. (please state why).

• Other (please specify).

• Total voters

- Wrath of God -

God
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So after seeing my 8500 GT fail miserably at running Guitar Hero III at native resolution, I decided that I didn't want a cheap graphics card anymore. I still want an nVidia, because in my experience their cards are just better than those of ATI. Money still obviously matters, and it's best if the video card stays under $300, however, if the video cards above that are way better, I don't mind spending more. I could probably pass off about half of it as a Christmas present anyway.

So, I'm stuck between the 8800 GTS and waiting until the 9x00 series comes out. As always help is much appreciated.

Links to deals where I can get a good card for cheap are also much appreciated.

lookout

GBAtemp Board Room
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wait till the 9 series comes out.

it'll cost you hell a lot....
Get 8800 GT x2 and SLI
tongue.gif

superkrm

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
if you wait for 9 u might as well wait for 10,11,12,13,14....etc. etc.

as far as your list go 8800gt is the best bang for buck
or the new amd 3000 series depending on price

the clear winner is the 8800gt 512mb

- Wrath of God -

God
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Can the 8800 GT run Crysis though? I mean I don't want to get a new card as soon as I get this one. I want it to be compatible with a lot of future games, which is why I'm thinking of simply waiting until the 9 series comes out. Also, I've tried a Google search for the price, and couldn't find anything, so a link, or some price information would be appreciated.

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can the 8800 GT run Crysis though? I mean I don't want to get a new card as soon as I get this one. I want it to be compatible with a lot of future games, which is why I'm thinking of simply waiting until the 9 series comes out. Also, I've tried a Google search for the price, and couldn't find anything, so a link, or some price information would be appreciated.

Crysis is a benchmark game, not as much as some others, but still. They're made so that running on full settings won't be feasible even in the near future.

That said, the comment about waiting for the 9 series. You can take it as "9 series is better, just wait for it." or "When the 9 series is out, the 8 series will drop in price." either way, waiting a tiny bit could do you a bit of good.

Also, if by compatible you mean max settings...yea, it'll last you like, 2 years.
If by compatible you mean at least average settings, hell, a good midrange card could probably last you a while.

- Wrath of God -

God
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well certain video cards are able to run Crysis on full settings at the moment. Yeah I actually meant compatible by max settings. You think that the 8800 GT will last like two years?

ejx982

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What specs do you have now? If you have a killer rig, like mine isn't too shabby, a 2.1Ghz Core 2 Duo o/c to 3.0Ghz. 4GB of RAM, 1.2TB of space. I'd suggest go for a high end card and leave it alone. If your sytsem isn't that great, spend a little less for a card to get you buy, and start researching a new rig. Video cards fluctuate the most in price, so I always do that research last.

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The 8800 GT can't even run crysis at full settings.

Waiting is good with technology. Wait 6 months - a year and you'll find much better cards and the 8xxx series will be very cheap.

superkrm

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
@ Wrath of God
here u go my friend

http://techreport.com/articles.x/13603/6

oh the new midrange cards amd 3850, 3870 and nvidie 8800gt
there are not a lot of cards out there so they are going to be a little pricey

but u should pay no more than 270 for 8800gt

u probably wont find a 3870 until next year they are really popular

that 3850 is a good performer but only has 256mb or ram

so at this point in time ur best bet is 8800gt or 3870 but at the right price

to reiterate and clarify

8800gt spend no more than $270

amd 3870 no more than $220

amd 3850 no more than $190 only listed because the Z man likes it but i would wait for the 512 version

i double space too much
wtf.gif

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil

Waiting is good with technology. Wait 6 months - a year and you'll find much better cards and the 8xxx series will be very cheap.

The Ultra can't either. And it's the best card on the market, Get over it. It's better to get a card now then waiting and waiting, if you wait 6 months you'll have to wait another 6 months since something better will be coming out.

superkrm

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

The Ultra can't either. And it's the best card on the market, Get over it. It's better to get a card now then waiting and waiting, if you wait 6 months you'll have to wait another 6 months since something better will be coming out.

Amen

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

I'm saying if he wants to play crysis he should wait. Yeah the ultra can't play crysis at full graphics..I know.

Instead of buying new tech wait for the next generation to come out and buy it then. Once the 9XXX series comes out the 8xxx series will come down in price dramatically. Some people can't afford the newest stuff on the market like you. We have bills to pay and people to look after.

I guess if your parents give you money to buy the newest things that come out all the time you don't have to worry
rolleyes.gif

nephdj

Trophies
XP
Country
not worth it waiting for crysis, a few of my mates have shelved crysis who have 8800... crysis is a rental, multi is so so

COD4 is where its at atm
smile.gif
and heck even I can play that with my old 6800ultra

- Wrath of God -

God
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My specs are Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 750 GB HD.

The point isn't that I want to play Crysis really badly. I figure that the game just came out, and barely anything can run it, so a lot of other games that will come out soon will also be barely runnable. So I want to be as future proof as possible without waiting too long. 6 months for a new video card would probably be too long of a wait for me, but I thought that nVidia released the new cards around Christmas, so I figured it may be a good time to wait.

superrob

H4X H4X H4X!
Trophies
Website
zabbo.dk
XP
Country
Get a Gefore 8800 GTS With 320MB of GDDR3 ram.
Its the better than the one with 620mb ram (Dont ask me why)
And it only cost 300-400$ and the ultra cost 700-800$ and the ultra only makes 14 frames more on BF2148 with full graphichs!

So a Gefore 8800 GTS!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay