Reactions: JuanMena

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You mean like a temperature aware one?

I meant like the knob [variable resister] on a Stereo, where you can turn it up or down to a desired volume. :mellow:

• Haha
Reactions: JuanMena

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I meant like the knob [variable resister] on a Stereo, where you can turn it up or down to a desired volume. :mellow:
That is what he is using , it's called a Potentiometer.(from the video looked like a "Slide" potentiometer) But that will eventually kill the fans at lower speeds/ lower voltages without using PWM.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Using hax I just upgraded my cranky old Macbook Air from High Sierra, which is the last macOS version Apple allows it to run, to Monterey, which is two major versions (wait... maybe more?) newer. Some more of my main apps were starting to no longer run newer versions on the ancient macOS, so I was happy to discover a few days ago that people have put together a whole well-developed system of patches and info for running newer macOS unofficially. I could have installed an even newer version, but apparently they can be more demanding and performance may go down on such ancient computers, so I decided to try Monterey as the oldest major version that's still receiving updates. So far the performance seems pretty slick tbh, am happy with it.

Last edited by hippy dave,

nasune

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
A couple of years ago I gave my little brother my old Pi 2, and a week ago he gave it back saying it no longer worked. Looking at it, it became obvious that it had taken an unfortunate tumble and part of the micro SD slot had come away. At first I thought that it was only the shielding, and, indeed, after soldering that back in place it seemed to work once more.
Unfortunately though, after a few hours the poblem started to reappear. So after a closer inspection it became clear that some of the pins were hanging on by a thread, and the connections were spotty at best. So as a result I had to solder in a new slot, and now it works perfectly fine once more.

(tldr: microsd slot broke, put in a new one)
20240219_202801.jpg
The hot glue is there for added strength, since the new slot wasn't quite a drop in for the old one and thus the anchor points on the right did not match up.

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So before my accident I had purchased a Valve Steam Deck. Admittedly I hadn't really used it because before I could, I got hurt pretty severely at work. Now I'm at home and I have access to it. So I replaced the SSD with a 2Tb SSD and then added a 512Gb SD Card making my Steam Deck superior to previously.

Then I used Decky Loader to install a BUNCH of cool stuff I don't normally have access to like Plugins. My goal in this modification was not to get free games, but more to make the operating system look better. Next I installed EmuDeck so I can play all the cool games I grew up playing. Setting up games was fairly difficult until I realized I can just use the whole 512Gb SD Card to hold all of my games, which made setting up EmuDeck to look for them correctly in that SD card. Works fine.

Totally worth setting up. Now, since I have purchased a BUNCH of PC games, I now have access to them on the Deck as well as just about every emulator known to work on the Deck. Sorry, no photos. My iPhone is currently broken and Apple has it to repair it. Sorry.

Payne

Trophies
XP
Country
Georgia
I modified my 3D-printed insert to have an extra cartridge slot.
(These just went up for sale today, too.)

View attachment 421612
Very neat

I "fixed" this original xbox version 1.4, removed clock capacitor that are known for leaking and damaging boards. luckily mine had not leaked, but was only matter of time until it did.

Looking to mod it, waiting on game that is required for exploit, and will add USB port to controller instead of buying adapter that I'll only ever use once.

1708800403360.jpeg

Hoopoler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sometimes finding info online can be a bust. Recently, I fixed up my old gaming controller. The joystick was acting wonky, so I cracked it open, cleaned it up, and replaced the worn-out parts. Works like a charm now! Can't wait to see what you post!

nasune

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
My micro switches came in, so I made myself a Pico sized keyboard (with a 3d printed little keychain-y holder):
20240313_203414.jpg

20240313_203505.jpg

Admittedly it still needs cleanup (ie IPA which I need to get (again) for the circuit board, and some more sanding for the holder), but I do like the thing.
(The files for the circuit board came from here, it's the V1 version,since V2 hadn't come out when I ordered the boards)

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My buddy brought me an electric bike. He said the battery was shot and the bike will no longer work. I just happen to have a 36v lithium battery that was on my old scooter and I no longer need it as I stripped that scooter and am piecing it out.

The funny part about this story is that my buddy brought me the bike at work. When he wheeled it into our office, my manager was in the room and we were having a meeting. My boss is cool and was laughing. (Being an "old-timer" now, most managers are half my age). I told him that I may be back, on my lunch break, to troubleshoot the bike. The boss is good with that as work is pretty slow right now. My buddy, that brought it in, gave a quick head nod as he left the room and said "I'll call you later, bro". We all chuckled.

While on my "lunchbreak", I got the bike and started to troubleshoot it to confirm his suspicion. When shooting trouble, it is important to get as much info from the user and duplicate the trouble. Measure twice, cut once. Confirm twice, fix once. This is the way.

With the bike all together, I try to turn it on and the display flickers only when you press the power button, then off. The bike does not turn on.
Unplugged his battery and measured 34v at the packs discharge port. OK, that is pretty low.
I reconnected his battery to the bike and plugged in his charger, the charging light never went red to indicate charging. Could it be the charger?
I measured the voltage at the end of the charger then checked the charging cable exiting the controller. Yep, I see charging voltage. Charger may be good. As well as the controller.
Then I checked polarity of my charger and the original charger. They are wired the same. YAY!
I plugged in my charger and still the battery would not take charge.
I double checked the polarity of his battery and it is, in fact, wired the same as mine.
I connected his charger into my battery. The charger light switched from green to red. His charger works.
Having removed his battery now, I plugged in my battery and the bike works. Throttle, PAS, lights, all work.

He is super stoked as this bike will be for his grandson. I just need to mount the new battery and the bike will be ready to roll.

I told my buddy that the battery may have sat for some time and has discharged to the point of no return. The BMS inside monitors the pack voltage and will halt charging when faults are detected, such as low voltage. He looked surprised (because he hadn't told me) and said that the bike had sat for almost a year before his son-in-law tried it and was sadly disappointed.

IMG_4107.jpeg

Last edited by slaphappygamer,

Fien

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I finished the 128MB RAM upgrade of my Xbox OG :) The extra RAM seems to be quite useless, but I wanted to try if I could do it too :lol:

It was way more difficult then "The Internet" showed. "Drag soldering" didn't work, I think it was the flux or soldering station I used :unsure: I ended up soldering the pins 1 by 1.

I started at the top side of the board which was more difficult because the heatsink and capacitors sat in the way. And every time if I accidentally touched 2 pins at the same time, it was bridged and needed cleaning with wick.

The second chip was even worse... it became slightly misaligned but I saw it too late. So it was even more challenging to prevent bridges.

I left the board rest after the 2 chips on the top and started with the 2 on the bottom side some days later :) In the meantime I found a new syringe of (Amtech) flux which was a great improvement in preventing bridges B-)

The 3th chip needed multiple tries because of loose pins. The 4th chip was the only one that worked in the first try :blush:

Attachments

• IMG_20240322_154704879_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240322_154704879_HDR.jpg
    894.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20240322_152200355.jpg
    IMG_20240322_152200355.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20240322_152133528.jpg
    IMG_20240322_152133528.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7

The_Dizzy_Vizzy

Well-Hated Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I got this PS Vita in Sapphire Blue (it's a Japanese model but I didn't know it at the time) unit from eBay about 3 months ago, sold from Georgia in the United States (I don't have the balls to buy one from Japan). I open up the packaging...and man I mean WOW. Not a scratch, dent or crack in the unit. It is FLAWLESS - or so it seemed. So I stick it on the charger because it's at like 60-something %. So I leave it alone for a while - plently of time for a full charge, and fire up the unit and it's at 81%. So I figured the battery just needs a little exercize, and play a bunch of games and a movie or two, and run the battery down to like 24%. So I stick it back on the charger/craddle, and crash for the evening. The next day, it's at 81% again. Hmmm, so I thought to myself there must be something wrong with the battery. So (I'll make this as short as I can folks), I order a new battery, knowing and dreading the fact that I have to open this beauty up and replace the battery. DAMN. The SP65M battery arrives. I've watched several videos on how to replace battery. Battery won't connect to the motherboard. WTF. Turns out that this unit is Japanese, as opposed to a North American unit. The proper battery for my Japanese unit is the SP65X, and I can tell you that, after having opened this thing up, gutted it and removed the original battery, I now have to find, order and replace this unit's battery with a battery that's only availability ships from CHINA, I'm pissed. I'm not exactly tossing my cookies, but the whole thing BLOWS. Two months later I FINALLY get the battery (actually I got a good deal - 2 SP65X batteries for $21 on Amazon with free shipping (but not Prime).
Now I gotta open this thing up again. And, granted, switching out the battery is "relatively" easy, but I never knew how to open up a Vita, much less WANT TO. But I guess it can be said that, I've had my cherry popped folks, and I am now a member of "The Club". For those of you reading this, you know who you are and what I mean. Finally, I get the X back into the Sapphire Blue, BUT THE PROBLEM REMAINS. 81% folks, that's as far as my Vita will charge any battery. So it wasn't the battery at all, it's the system itself.

So that's my "things I've modded" story.
suicidewz7.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Ozito

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Another sad case of WiRelEsZ hEaDpHoneS "not working anymore".

Got rid of the fucking good for nothing, energy consumer PCB and inflated useless battery and soldered a cheap earbuds cable I had lying around.
Now I have yet another pair of headphones that works with a cable for as long as I fucking want.
No charging.
No pairing.

Plug and play!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4