There is a problem with the USB storage device. Error code 160-4714

Al09rt45

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
After installing some homebrew apps from the appstore, when i got to the wii u menu, after a few seconds i got a message saying “There is a problem with the USB storage device.”
I’m using a 1TB external hard drive that worked fine until now.
WhatsApp Image 2023-02-24 at 02.38.46.jpeg

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know it might sound silly, but try turning off the Wii U, unplugging and plugging the USB storage drive in your Wii U and then turn it back on, its possible that the connection just got loose or something simple like that.

Al09rt45

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I know it might sound silly, but try turning off the Wii U, unplugging and plugging the USB storage drive in your Wii U and then turn it back on, its possible that the connection just got loose or something simple like that.
Wow that actually worked. I thought it was something more serious and I was afraid to unplug the hard drive. Sorry for any problems i’ve caused with this dumb question
Post automatically merged:

It started happening again but this time it just straight up makes the screen black and gives the message and unplugging and plugging the hard drive doesnt work anymore

Last edited by Al09rt45,

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Maybe the cable or USB port got damaged somehow? Try a different cable as well as using another USB port on the Wii U.

Ettino

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is there anything i can do about it
If it's a hardware's fault then it depends. It could be the ports or it could the actual board itself. There's no way to tell without physically looking at it and check the output voltge etc. Anyway if the front 2 are working, you're good for now.

Reactions: jeannotte

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Error code 160-471 seems to indicate data corruption within your Wii U storage device. Simply sayed it seems to die, try a another drive. And the WiiU uses its own Filesystem so there is no recovery option available, only checking the s.m.a.r.t value by "chrystal disk info" if possible.

Al09rt45

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Error code 160-471 seems to indicate data corruption within your Wii U storage device. Simply sayed it seems to die, try a another drive. And the WiiU uses its own Filesystem so there is no recovery option available, only checking the s.m.a.r.t value by "chrystal disk info" if possible.
I think the drive may be the problem since a couple hours after using the front ports it gave the same error message. Does that mean that all the ports are dead or is it just the drive.

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think the drive may be the problem since a couple hours after using the front ports it gave the same error message. Does that mean that all the ports are dead or is it just the drive.
data corruption within your Wii U storage device. Simply sayed it seems to die, try a another drive.

Al09rt45

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
The Wii U doesn't recognize the new hdd. It makes a weird high pitched *beep* sound every 5-7 seconds. I tried every port and different cables.

szlovak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
After installing some homebrew apps from the appstore, when i got to the wii u menu, after a few seconds i got a message saying “There is a problem with the USB storage device.”
I’m using a 1TB external hard drive that worked fine until now.

The only way is to take HDD out the case or not and run manufacturer's software to check for errors. This is the only way, windows scandisk will not tell anything about hardware failure in some cases. After this anyway your drive might take too much current, use Y cable or change the drive for something compatible. SSD might work well, should take less power in general.

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
windows scandisk will not tell anything about hardware failure in some cases
Windows checkdisk is for correcting filesystem errors and sector condition check.

The inbuild s.m.a.r.t technolgy in drives, which gives a overview by a lot of sensors gives good condition overview including hardware defects. A study in 2006 by google says, 64% of all failures with S.M.A.R.T. are predictable.
1677928821290.png

szlovak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Windows checkdisk is for correcting filesystem errors and sector condition check.

The inbuild s.m.a.r.t technolgy in drives, which gives a overview by a lot of sensors gives good condition overview including hardware defects. A study in 2006 by google says, 64% of all failures with S.M.A.R.T. are predictable.

I had a case that SMART didn't show anything on MAxtor HDD, scandisk neither, but producer's diagnostics did. Usually SMART should show, usually

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: A sexual psycopath that love pain where have I heard that before