Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
^ Depends how many seeders there are really
What's a seeder?
unsure.gif
Sorry I don't know much computer jargon.
frown.gif

SomeGuyGG

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've been using usenet for some time now and must say nothing tops it. Using a combination of newsleecher + binsearch + nzbsrus = everything you could possibly want.
My ISP has their own full usenet service which has 200 day retention, 99.99% completion but is capped at 200KB/s yet is free.
usenetserver.com is a great provider and has a 3 day $3 trial whenever you need to get some big files fast.

True it suits some people more than others and I still use torrents for the odd thing but usenet is the most mature, reliable and efficient method of getting the files you need.

ozzyzak

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Usenet used to be good for me until recently. I used to be able to max out my connection and basically get anything VERY quickly. Much better than torrents.

I tried it a few days ago though and it seems like my ISP is capping me or something. It seems like the connection is VERY spotty and keeps dropping. Might have just been a bad server though (crosses fingers).

I'm getting ready to try out giganews and see if they really are capping me or not.

PikaPika

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Usenet used to be good for me until recently. I used to be able to max out my connection and basically get anything VERY quickly. Much better than torrents.

I tried it a few days ago though and it seems like my ISP is capping me or something. It seems like the connection is VERY spotty and keeps dropping. Might have just been a bad server though (crosses fingers).

I'm getting ready to try out giganews and see if they really are capping me or not.

Which ISP and Usenet provider do you have? Because I've been having similar problems with Bellsouth as my ISP and Usenet-News.net.

wiithepeople

^^didn't play it that much, but I love it =D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

ozzyzak

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Usenet used to be good for me until recently. I used to be able to max out my connection and basically get anything VERY quickly. Much better than torrents.

I tried it a few days ago though and it seems like my ISP is capping me or something. It seems like the connection is VERY spotty and keeps dropping. Might have just been a bad server though (crosses fingers).

Which ISP and Usenet provider do you have? Because I've been having similar problems with Bellsouth as my ISP and Usenet-News.net.

I use cox. At the time I was using the ISPs server. It seemed like anything text was fine, but when going to binaries it would cut. Not even like broken files, but it would literally stop downloading. I know for a fact they are throttling bit torrent traffic, so I guess it wouldn't be a stretch to also block usenet.

RayorDragonFall

I see you've played knifey-spoony before.
Trophies
XP
Country
They give you 10% free for downloading headers, and remember that it doesn't show up immediately after you download. Check the "last session" bit underneath.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@ozzyzak and pikadude1006 some ISPs have got a bit wise to usenet and some other file grabbing stuff lately.
Try routing traffic through port 80 (119 is the standard usenet whereas 80 is standard web) and if that does not work try getting an encrypted connection (SSL, I am not sure about clients that support it though). Check with your provider what ports they allow (they normally have 119,80 and 36).

Dack

Trophies
XP
Country
That article is from January (or August depending on date interpretation) 2006, things may have changed since then. One inaccuracy is that astraweb now have 70 days retention and not the 25 mentioned there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.ebay.com/itm/386617469929?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=2T8UwYf_Qse&...