Hacking The Truth about Safely Remove Hardware

Zap

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/pnppw...XPrem-devs.mspx

Did you even bothered reading the date that article was posted ? December 2001.

Honestly, how can you take stuff seriously when it's nearly 5 years old ? ESPECIALLY stuff from Microsoft.

That's also stuff concerning Windows XP Beta 2 and unless you're a computer degenerate or something of the sort, you'll notice that Windows XP has reached a state that most people would call complete (Even though Microsoft has the nasty habit of making it's customers pay for Beta Testing, since this really is what retail versions of Windows are, although they are alot more complete then the official Beta versions.)

And honestly, Of all the Plug and Play devices that i use and that my friends uses, i haven't seen or heard about any data corruptions happening this way. Let's just face it, Suprise Removal is not dangerous, it's the same thing that has people go paranoid with firewalls and antivirus.

The ONLY dangerous thing with Surprise Removal is if you're stupid enough to yank your device out while data is being transferred.

Most people that have problems with it are just using it like a monkey would use a buttplug... It's simple, learn to use your stuff with care, not paranoia. >_>

Dunno if that's the case with G6s though, being made of what Microsoft and probably anyone in the market would call of "Illegal construct", i'm not really surprised it causes issues to the already trauma-inducing Windows.

Heh, what next ? Having a minor scratch on your CDs make them non-functional ? Yeah.... I'll be over there rolling myself on the floor and dying of laughter.

I was gonna take your post seriously... but this rests my case: "Windows XP has reached a state that most people would call complete"

Just the simple fact that we still have the huge hole of Internet Explorer still wide open... since when was it a problem? Oh yea, over 5 years ago. So... in choosing between the big hole in IE and this Surprise removal... I wonder which is more important for MS to patch up... Seeing that IE isn't fixed, I can only assume MS went for this trivial issue.
rofl2.gif
Last I checked, IE STILL demands ActiveX Control for many functions.

Oh, and I musta been talkin' to a dead person due to laughter.... cuz my cd was unreadable due to scratch. ouch... I wonder if the scratch occured over the TOC section.... cuz I'm a noob and I dunno which section of the disc is TOC and if it would renders the disc useless....
rolleyes.gif

EDIT: Lets just say you are correct and that MS fixed this problem that many finds very annoying. I'm sure there are documentations on the matter somewhere. Otherwise the latest documentation stands current. Also, I did say that major companies have taken actions and things work flawlessly (sandisk was the example).

Kurumi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/pnppw...XPrem-devs.mspx

Did you even bothered reading the date that article was posted ? December 2001.

Honestly, how can you take stuff seriously when it's nearly 5 years old ? ESPECIALLY stuff from Microsoft.

That's also stuff concerning Windows XP Beta 2 and unless you're a computer degenerate or something of the sort, you'll notice that Windows XP has reached a state that most people would call complete (Even though Microsoft has the nasty habit of making it's customers pay for Beta Testing, since this really is what retail versions of Windows are, although they are alot more complete then the official Beta versions.)

And honestly, Of all the Plug and Play devices that i use and that my friends uses, i haven't seen or heard about any data corruptions happening this way. Let's just face it, Suprise Removal is not dangerous, it's the same thing that has people go paranoid with firewalls and antivirus.

The ONLY dangerous thing with Surprise Removal is if you're stupid enough to yank your device out while data is being transferred.

Most people that have problems with it are just using it like a monkey would use a buttplug... It's simple, learn to use your stuff with care, not paranoia. >_>

Dunno if that's the case with G6s though, being made of what Microsoft and probably anyone in the market would call of "Illegal construct", i'm not really surprised it causes issues to the already trauma-inducing Windows.

Heh, what next ? Having a minor scratch on your CDs make them non-functional ? Yeah.... I'll be over there rolling myself on the floor and dying of laughter.

I was gonna take your post seriously... but this rests my case: "Windows XP has reached a state that most people would call complete"

Just the simple fact that we still have the huge hole of Internet Explorer still wide open... since when was it a problem? Oh yea, over 5 years ago. So... in choosing between the big hole in IE and this Surprise removal... I wonder which is more important for MS to patch up... Seeing that IE isn't fixed, I can only assume MS went for this trivial issue.
rofl2.gif
Last I checked, IE STILL demands ActiveX Control for many functions.

Oh, and I musta been talkin' to a dead person due to laughter.... cuz my cd was unreadable due to scratch. ouch... I wonder if the scratch occured over the TOC section.... cuz I'm a noob and I dunno which section of the disc is TOC and if it would renders the disc useless....
rolleyes.gif

There's still people using IE ? I thought it was common sense that Firefox owned it
tongue.gif

And also, notice i said minor scratches, it's obvious that if you take a pair of scissors and slash at your CDs, they're gonna fuck over. But sarcasm is a hard and complicated way of speech. Not enough people succesfully understand it
laugh.gif

dirtycarrot

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Good tip on the defrag! I removed and added a whole heap of crap to my G6L last night, plugged it into the DS and it didn't boot - tried a couple more times, still no dice.
Plugging it back into the computer showed all the files still there. So I defragged it overnight, plugged it in this morning, and voila! All working again, without having to reformat!!!

daty2k1

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Good tip on the defrag! I removed and added a whole heap of crap to my G6L last night, plugged it into the DS and it didn't boot - tried a couple more times, still no dice.
Plugging it back into the computer showed all the files still there. So I defragged it overnight, plugged it in this morning, and voila! All working again, without having to reformat!!!

Nice
smile.gif

Defrag doesn't work for me, it doesn't want to do it because it says I have to check the drive before. And when I try to check it says it doesn't work with RAW format
mad.gif

I think I'm gonna buy a Supercard Lite soon...

Vidnez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nice
smile.gif

Defrag doesn't work for me, it doesn't want to do it because it says I have to check the drive before. And when I try to check it says it doesn't work with RAW format
mad.gif

I think I'm gonna buy a Supercard Lite soon...

That RAW format is made by the Mantenace Utility.

Try this out:

1.- Format your cart in FAT
2.- Use the Mantenace Utility
3.- Format your cart again in FAT

If it works you'll love me forever
rofl2.gif

WishCow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Defragmenting a just formatted card is like giving a slap to a pile of crap, you don't gain anything from it.

RyuKakashi

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
...plug and pray devices to windows...

subtle Windows bashing?
laugh.gif

actually he's just japanese =D

But anyway if any of you were wondering what the point of this is, if it's just an extra 5 seconds....well..

All those support threads on corrupted g6's blame this and I think people should look deeper into the problem other than just blaming something as dumb as this. Face it, the g6 lites aren't as durable as we hoped.

Zap

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree that this issue is blown out of proportion and is now pretty much the scapegoat.

However, given the uncertainty of how well the G6 team handles surprise removal in their software and the fact that this is the MOST common "mistake" that people tend to do unknowingly, it is very possible that most of the corruptions comes from this little issue.

I guess everyone who blames the issue on this on first thought is just trying to make sure the user eliminates this common issue that can lead to corruption. If it is, then it's the quickest fix.

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I do not doubt the fact that g6 lite is manufactured off a cheaper process (this is obvious, look @ the price versus the g6 3rd gen, which I have been using before switchin to the lite)...this may affect the overall quality of the g6 lites and with any of these China made carts, you will have defects. However, us old veteran users of the g6 know that 99% of the time it's due to this trivial issue because people have been used to removing devices without going through windows safe removal system....I know I did it when I first got my g6 3rd gen and couldn't figure out why "invalid parameter" came out every time I put games on and I had to format it every single time....I figured it out by actually sitting down and reading the documentation and scrutinize my own process @ the time to find the problem...it is not that obvious at all...hell before many had the suspicion that there were bad burners around before this problem was discovered. I mean even if someone follows all the steps and have a defective cart, then just swap it for another one from your vendor and see if the same thing happens.....now if you get 2 in a row....maybe it's time to look @ what you're doing yourself and searching the forums instead of making redundant threads on the forum.

outphase

Custom title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Many users blame the G6 on their own shortcomings.

It is not Trojan's fault for the condom slipping off, it's your fault for thinking the Magnum is good for you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://wccftech-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/wccftech.com/amd-800-series-am5-motherboards-launch-r...