The Sonic Hacking Contest 2022 is now live!

title_small.png

The Sonic Hacking Contest 2022 event is now live and has started its playthrough, review and judging phase, with all the mods and romhacks now available for download. The event is also celebrating its 20th year anniversary from its inception, starting all the way back in 2002 (similar to GBATemp's own anniversary as well!).

The contest begins on Monday, October 10th, and will continue during the whole week, ending on Sunday, October 16th. Afterwards, the results of the contest will be known, and the contest will award several trophies that range from a wide variety of criteria to the submitted game which excelled in one or several of those categories. Several well-known YouTubers like Tails' Channel, Chaomix, SomeCallMeJohnny and many others streaming the games that have been submitted and giving their own thoughts to each of them.

For those unaware, the Sonic Hacking Contest (SHC for short), is a yearly event that takes place within the Sonic community, in which developers from all around the world showcase their on-going projects which focus on Sonic-related games or themes. The projects range from all kinds of romhacks for older titles, like the Genesis / Mega Drive games, and mods for more current games, like Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Forces, SA2 and more.

:arrow: Source

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Contests like this already spawned some fantastic Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario World hacks. As you may have guessed I'm mostly interested in rom hacks for classic systems, because I just love those old games and rom hacks are just like additional games for those systems, literally for free.
I wasn't aware of the SHC so thanks for that. I'm currently playing many of those Mario rom hacks on my Miyoo Mini so I'll definitely keep an eye out for what the contest might spawn, especially since I applied a SEGA theme to my Miyoo Mini:
SEGA Mini.jpeg

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I might learn howv to do Sonic rom hacking and giiive it a go sometime since being C&D'd by sega is nearly non existant (I can imagine going too far (ex hentai rom hacks) would get the wrong attention by Sega and trigger a C&D

Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Contests like this already spawned some fantastic Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario World hacks. As you may have guessed I'm mostly interested in rom hacks for classic systems, because I just love those old games and rom hacks are just like additional games for those systems, literally for free.
I wasn't aware of the SHC so thanks for that. I'm currently playing many of those Mario rom hacks on my Miyoo Mini so I'll definitely keep an eye out for what the contest might spawn, especially since I applied a SEGA theme to my Miyoo Mini:

It's worth mentioning that there's also F3 (Fangames and romhacks E3-like event) by Kaze Emanuar, which started just a few years ago, and I even submitted a hack of mine to it and it got featured.
F3 is the closest I can think in terms of wide-spread notoriety for romhacks in general, though Kaze's event is more focused in SM64 stuff, which kind of narrows it down a lot, but thankfully he's open to adding other systems and franchises to the F3 event.

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The problem with most of the previous years entries I've seen is the games are always submitted as demos and never get finished. Is this still the case?

Reactions: Xalusc

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this may be asking too much, but could we get a surprise reveal of the Sonic 2 HD Project being completed. I know that's a farfetched idea, but a man can dream.

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Does it mean that I'm too late?
Anyway I remember interacting with some users in Bisqwit YouTube Discord Server regarding replica of Epic Games Launcher Storefront by reinterpreting some users quoted words would it result especially these days,nowadays DMCA,NDA,copyrights infringement,multiple lawsuits?
pmospve.png

MFlY4P0.png

UqMkz90.png

Tc7OgQB.png

YwFu0Vd.png

N78TK6r.png

p3esFvd.png

ndmqA2k.png

Or even Id Tech 1 videogame engine-like-esque replica of Unreal Engine 1(even way much earlier than final build).

Last edited by Luke94,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...